2023 NFL Discussion

rico

40 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That's great and all... 

Rick went 3-48 as a HC in D1 and NFL. This was also mentioned about RV.... "Additionally, all but one of the black players on the football team had protested against the unequal treatment of African-American student athletes within the program.

RV was part of the Colts staff from 1984-90 (before the season he was the interim)--- the Colts were 38-57 in those seasons... then 1-15 in 1991 when he was interim HC and DC. Sooo 39-72 during his tenure with the Colts. 

1995- CLE DC- Cleveland went 5-11

The Saints from 96-05- Saints record during that time-- 53-97

Rams in 06-08- Rams record-- 13-35

You know two other coaches on that Cleveland staff. Bill Bielichek and Nic Saban

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

You know two other coaches on that Cleveland staff. Bill Bielichek and Nic Saban

Yeah, and they went 5-11. So if a team with a lot of coaching talent doesn’t perform….maybe that wasn’t on the coaches. You can only polish a turd so much. 

11 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

To the surprise of no one

It’s not so much of the surprise factor but it moves the needle from around the combine time/post Justin fields trade when it seemed the Bears were “almost certainly” going to take Caleb Williams with the #1 pick, to now that he visited the Bears and won’t go to another team it seems to be the Bears are “100%” taking him #1.

Caleb didn’t do his medicals at the combine, which means with him not going anywhere else to visit, the Bears are the only team that has them. Bears must have told Caleb they are taking him with the first pick or it would have been in his best interest and the Bears if he visited Washington/New England if there was a chance they were going to trade down for a different QB. I believe Caleb said he was planning on visiting Washington at the combine as well.

I’m ready for the draft! Bear down!!

17 hours ago, btownqb said:

That's great and all... 

Rick went 3-48 as a HC in D1 and NFL. This was also mentioned about RV.... "Additionally, all but one of the black players on the football team had protested against the unequal treatment of African-American student athletes within the program.

RV was part of the Colts staff from 1984-90 (before the season he was the interim)--- the Colts were 38-57 in those seasons... then 1-15 in 1991 when he was interim HC and DC. Sooo 39-72 during his tenure with the Colts. 

1995- CLE DC- Cleveland went 5-11

The Saints from 96-05- Saints record during that time-- 53-97

Rams in 06-08- Rams record-- 13-35

Those numbers are so consistent that it’s not a coincidence.  Whenever I hear his name, the picture you just displayed is top of mind for me.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

It’s not so much of the surprise factor but it moves the needle from around the combine time/post Justin fields trade when it seemed the Bears were “almost certainly” going to take Caleb Williams with the #1 pick, to now that he visited the Bears and won’t go to another team it seems to be the Bears are “100%” taking him #1.

Caleb didn’t do his medicals at the combine, which means with him not going anywhere else to visit, the Bears are the only team that has them. Bears must have told Caleb they are taking him with the first pick or it would have been in his best interest and the Bears if he visited Washington/New England if there was a chance they were going to trade down for a different QB. I believe Caleb said he was planning on visiting Washington at the combine as well.

I’m ready for the draft! Bear down!!

GM Ryan Poles to me is pushing the right buttons.  I’ve always agreed with how he’s handling the QB situation.  

Haven’t agreed with every single thing he does but this is a big picture issue and in that sense I like how he’s building the team.   The coach is meh to me but the roster is going to be so much better that his record will improve drastically.  

You get the hardest thing to find in a QB and my bet in future years is they go hard on defense.  Meaning, over the next several years, sky is the limit.  Minnesota has zero hope for the future as of today.   Detroit is good with an excellent coach.  But the Bears talent influx that will be coming is going to be huge.  Upside is there.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

GM Ryan Poles to me is pushing the right buttons.  I’ve always agreed with how he’s handling the QB situation.  

Haven’t agreed with every single thing he does but this is a big picture issue and in that sense I like how he’s building the team.   The coach is meh to me but the roster is going to be so much better that his record will improve drastically.  

You get the hardest thing to find in a QB and my bet in future years is they go hard on defense.  Meaning, over the next several years, sky is the limit.  Minnesota has zero hope for the future as of today.   Detroit is good with an excellent coach.  But the Bears talent influx that will be coming is going to be huge.  Upside is there.  

Definitely hope Flus improves this year. He needs to be calling the defense from the start and no more giving away games in the 4th quarter. 

i am impressed with poles thus far. He had the big mistake with giving up a second round pick to Pittsburgh for a worthless receiver but that is his only huge mistake so far (we’ll see about Flus this year). 

The NFC north might be one of the top divisions in football if the Bears take that next step with Caleb and good defense. Packers and Detroit are both good and Minnesota will probably be a mediocre team. 

48 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

Stampede Blue is like that.

The complaints are wild. 

We need safeties-- signed one of the best on the market. 

We need a vet corner- signed one of the best on the market. 

We need DT2-DT4-- a grouping of Stewart, Davis, and Bryan is very good. 

We had to resign Pitt/Taylor got that done. 

Extended Franklin. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The complaints are wild. 

We need safeties-- signed one of the best on the market. 

We need a vet corner- signed one of the best on the market. 

We need DT2-DT4-- a grouping of Stewart, Davis, and Bryan is very good. 

We had to resign Pitt/Taylor got that done. 

Extended Franklin. 

We still need upgrades at the safety and the CB position. We remained status quo and haven't improved from last year. I can't believe there are many out there that can still back the job that Ballard has done. At least where I read or listen to I don't see many who thinks Ballard should have his job. I backed him until he traded for another aging QB in Matt Ryan. He came out after the trade and said it only took him an hour of watching film to realize that Ryan was the right guy.

The only numbers I care about is 54-60-1, no division championships, 1 playoff win

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

We still need upgrades at the safety and the CB position. We remained status quo and haven't improved from last year. I can't believe there are many out there that can still back the job that Ballard has done. At least where I read or listen to I don't see many who thinks Ballard should have his job. I backed him until he traded for another aging QB in Matt Ryan. He came out after the trade and said it only took him an hour of watching film to realize that Ryan was the right guy.

The only numbers I care about is 54-60-1, no division championships, 1 playoff win

I’m not convinced we need an upgrade at corner at all.  Flowers’s was playing really well until he got hurt.  The two rookie corners played well after Flowers got hurt and we still have Moore.  Allow the two rookies room for some offseason growth and they may have four good corners there.  Would I be shocked if they used an early pick on a corner?  No.  But I didn’t see corner as a must need like some do.  I’m interested to see how this year goes with the group we have.  I do think your concern at the safety position is a fair one.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I’m not convinced we need an upgrade at corner at all.  Flowers’s was playing really well until he got hurt.  The two rookie corners played well after Flowers got hurt and we still have Moore.  Allow the two rookies room for some offseason growth and they may have four good corners there.  Would I be shocked if they used an early pick on a corner?  No.  But I didn’t see corner as a must need like some do.  I’m interested to see how this year goes with the group we have.  I do think your concern at the safety position is a fair one.

You really trust a CB coming off an Achilles injury. Also Brent's missed a lot of time with I juries as well. I also feel we need another veteran WR to go with Pittman and Downs. Also want to draft a WR high in the draft.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You really trust a CB coming off an Achilles injury. Also Brent's missed a lot of time with I juries as well. I also feel we need another veteran WR to go with Pittman and Downs. Also want to draft a WR high in the draft.

I don’t think injuries like that are as detrimental as they used to be.  That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Colts used an early pick on another corner either.  But I like Brents a lot.  I don’t think a veteran WR is necessarily what is needed.  I’m lukewarm on Pierce.  Some like him more than I do.  I’d just like a guy who is more consistent there.

10 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

It is fair, but we still just signed a damn good strong safety... and have 4 other safeties on the roster. Cross, Harrison, Thomas, Scott.. 

Nick Cross is still 22yrs old. 

IMO- I'd dump him playing SS, ever, he ONLY works FS this offseason.. 

Cross, Blackmon is a very dynamic pair of safeties.. but NC has to do his job (aka 1st play of the game against Hou).. and JB stay healthy. 

The talent is NOT an issue. 

-----

Lack of health/experience at corner was a bigger issue than "needing" to upgrade.. 

But... as you said, if they do go corner, no issue. 

Bowers, corner, WR.. I think there's a strong argument against Bowers, but I am NOT an NFL scout.. if dominating the way he did, truly translates (the 40 time was still on 4.55).. what do the Colts value there? 

With all dysfunction at TE-- No Woods, Ogletree debacle, some other injuries, Mallorys youth, and a backup QB, rookie HC.. 

is 900 yards and 6 TDs that bad out of that position? 

----- 

My #1 hope is... 

1. If you have identified multiple WRs you like.. if you need to stretch to get one, example--- if Nabers/Odunze drop to (lets say) #11... you go spend draft capital and get that guy.... again that's an example... 

2. If you think Thomas or whatever WR is surefire WR2.. take them at 15. 

That trumps Brock Bowers, imo

Not project guys. Regardless of upside, at 15.. if you trade back to 25 or whatever and pick Worthy, ok.. get good compensation for it.. 

Ultimately, I like the TE room more than I like what I've seen from WR2. But, I am not Reggie Wayne, I'm not in the room with Alec Pierce, Steichen. Idk if Jelani Woods is a waste, I know what his ceiling is, but does he have the qualities that can get him there? ... (examples).. idk  if they like Will Mallory as much as I do.. 🤷‍♂️

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Trust? Not necessarily, but he's 1 of 4 we have that has shown to play well. 

Yes and yes to the last points. McKenzie was coming off a good year with Buffalo. That wasn't a bad signing last year. 

But yes, need another WR, I think they'll sign another vet corner, too. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It is fair, but we still just signed a damn good strong safety... and have 4 other safeties on the roster. Cross, Harrison, Thomas, Scott.. 

Nick Cross is still 22yrs old. 

IMO- I'd dump him playing SS, ever, he ONLY works FS this offseason.. 

Cross, Blackmon is a very dynamic pair of safeties.. but NC has to do his job (aka 1st play of the game against Hou).. and JB stay healthy. 

The talent is NOT an issue. 

-----

Lack of health/experience at corner was a bigger issue than "needing" to upgrade.. 

But... as you said, if they do go corner, no issue. 

Bowers, corner, WR.. I think there's a strong argument against Bowers, but I am NOT an NFL scout.. if dominating the way he did, truly translates (the 40 time was still on 4.55).. what do the Colts value there? 

With all dysfunction at TE-- No Woods, Ogletree debacle, some other injuries, Mallorys youth, and a backup QB, rookie HC.. 

is 900 yards and 6 TDs that bad out of that position? 

----- 

My #1 hope is... 

1. If you have identified multiple WRs you like.. if you need to stretch to get one, example--- if Nabers/Odunze drop to (lets say) #11... you go spend draft capital and get that guy.... again that's an example... 

2. If you think Thomas or whatever WR is surefire WR2.. take them at 15. 

That trumps Brock Bowers, imo

Not project guys. Regardless of upside, at 15.. if you trade back to 25 or whatever and pick Worthy, ok.. get good compensation for it.. 

Ultimately, I like the TE room more than I like what I've seen from WR2. But, I am not Reggie Wayne, I'm not in the room with Alec Pierce, Steichen. Idk if Jelani Woods is a waste, I know what his ceiling is, but does he have the qualities that can get him there? ... (examples).. idk  if they like Will Mallory as much as I do.. 🤷‍♂️

I like this post…a lot.  I’d love to be in the office and in the film room with these guys.  I’d like to know why they only signed Blackmon to a one year deal, but that could be on the player’s end.

I agree on Mallory but I’d love to know what the coaches think about how these guys fit in their system.  And we will never REALLY know the answers to those things.

I like your draft thoughts also.

Edited by thirdgenhoosier