2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Man...Vontae Davis dead at age 35. Never understood his sudden departure from the league. So young.

RIP...a B10 and a Colts alum.  Peace to Vernon and the rest of his family. 

The comment he gave about his retirement was that his abrupt retirement was due to an abrupt realization that football was no longer what he was meant to be doing, and that "leaving was therapeutic".

He was entering his 10th season and maybe he just realized his body couldn't take it anymore.  It's a rough game. 

• Like 1

Houston trades for Stephon Diggs from the Bills. Houston is an example of an organization that goes out and tries to hit some home runs. Lady year they traded up to the 3rd puck to get Will Anderson. This year they have went out and got Hunter, Audrey for their DL. They get Mixon and Diggs for their offense.

The Colts are stuck with Ballard that wants to just retain his mediocre players and don't go out to try to get his team better. Instead of home runs he likes the Sac bunt.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Houston trades for Stephon Diggs from the Bills. Houston is an example of an organization that goes out and tries to hit some home runs. Lady year they traded up to the 3rd puck to get Will Anderson. This year they have went out and got Hunter, Audrey for their DL. They get Mixon and Diggs for their offense.

The Colts are stuck with Ballard that wants to just retain his mediocre players and don't go out to try to get his team better. Instead of home runs he likes the Sac bunt.

Literally offered Hunter more money 😁

Mixon isn't a needle mover. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Literally offered Hunter more money 😁

Did we get Hunter, no. We might have offered more on the annual salary but did we offer more guarantee money 

If his philosophy has worked it would be ok but it has failed miserably.  Unless you call making the playoffs twice in 7 years with one playoff win and no division titles successful.

The thing is if we swing the bay you will miss some but if you never take the hat off of your shoulder you will never get a hit.

You might disagree with me but the 4 local shows I listen to in the day all are upset with Ballard. They all think he should have been fired the same time Reich was fired.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Did we get Hunter, no. We might have offered more on the annual salary but did we offer more guarantee money 

If his philosophy has worked it would be ok but it has failed miserably.  Unless you call making the playoffs twice in 7 years with one playoff win and no division titles successful.

The thing is if we swing the bay you will miss some but if you never take the hat off of your shoulder you will never get a hit.

You might disagree with me but the 4 local shows I listen to in the day all are upset with Ballard. They all think he should have been fired the same time Reich was fired.

We offered Hunter more money. He wanted to go back home. can't fault him. 

The 4 local shows? what shows? Scott--- they don't "sell" unless they're upset with something lol... of course, they're upset with Ballard, they have to be. They are boring if they aren't. 

He just now got his QB, after the HOF quit. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We offered Hunter more money. He wanted to go back home. can't fault him. 

The 4 local shows? what shows? Scott--- they don't "sell" unless they're upset with something lol... of course, they're upset with Ballard, they have to be. They are boring if they aren't. 

He just now got his QB, after the HOF quit. 

3 of them are on the station that airs the Colts game and most of the time that station would kiss the Colts butt.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

3 of them are on the station that airs the Colts game and most of the time that station would kiss the Colts butt.

I don't know what station that is. I don't watch any of that s*** Scott. Only sports talk I would/still listen to AT ALL... Pat and PTI. And both of those are rare. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't know what station that is. I don't watch any of that s*** Scott. Only sports talk I would/still listen to AT ALL... Pat and PTI. And both of those are rare. 

Agree.  Talking heads are maddening.  We get and share more info here.  Pat has a great show but omg it’s way too long and hard to find the segments you care about so I don’t usually bother unless my YouTube feed spoon feeds me a short segment.  But he’s very talented and comes across incredibly well IMO

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree.  Talking heads are maddening.  We get and share more info here.  Pat has a great show but omg it’s way too long and hard to find the segments you care about so I don’t usually bother unless my YouTube feed spoon feeds me a short segment.  But he’s very talented and comes across incredibly well IMO

My wife LOVES Pat, so I hear it sometimes. 

• Like 2

The more I ponder the Colts draft, the more I prefer moving back. There's no glaring weakness now with our FA signings, and I don't think there will be a WR at 15 we love. (could be wrong there)... 

maybe you go corner-- but still-- Kenny, Flowers, Brents, and Jones there now. 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Well I have heard plenty of fans today not being Happ. One a 30 year season ticket holder who is thinking of giving up his tickets.

59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wouldn't be so sure on that.  If you exclude 2020, when he was injured in week 6, he's averaged 1000 rushing yards and 8 TDs on 4.1YPC.  He's also underrated as a receiver out of the backfield (333 yards, 44 receptions, 2 TDs average) and will be a great relief valve for CJ.  He's also reliable, having only lost 4 fumbles in 6+ seasons. 

Only real worry is that he's entering the 8th year of his career.  He's really only had one major injury, which was in 2020...some kind of undisclosed foot injury.  He's missed a game here and there with minor stuff, but overall has been pretty healthy.  No major knee or ankle problems anyway. 

Is Mix a franchise back like a Derrick Henry or CMC? No, but he's a heck of an upgrade from what they had, and if he stays healthy, will give that offense a new dimension. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The more I ponder the Colts draft, the more I prefer moving back. There's no glaring weakness now with our FA signings, and I don't think there will be a WR at 15 we love. (could be wrong there)... 

Plenty of holes in this roster CB being one but we need an experience one and not another rookie. Still need a play making WR and TE. Also need more safety help. I would love for them to be able to pick Bowers but probably won't be there. Still wished that Ballard would have swung for the fences last year and moved up to the first pick and picked Stroud.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We are set up to take anyone we like. BPA. Which is good. We can take a tackle (think Smith could be transitioned off soon because his salary and age) we can take corner, we can take DL, we can take TE. I will almost lay money we trade back though. That is our MO. Buffalo might move up for a WR in our range…KC could as well…I could also see Philly moving up for an elite corner around our pick up too. IMO those are teams to watch for a trade if we do. All said though we are in a really good spot for a possible top 10 blue chip talent to fall to us because of the qb situation this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Still wished that Ballard would have swung for the fences last year and moved up to the first pick and picked Stroud.

With what it cost Carolina, that may be pushing it.  2023 1st & 2nd, 2024 1st and 2025 2nd....pretty steep price, but might be worth a gamble.  Throw in a number 1 WR on top of it? Ehhhh.....

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well I have heard plenty of fans today not being Happ. One a 30 year season ticket holder who is thinking of giving up his tickets.

And someone else will buy them instantly. If you liked the Colts during Peyton’s time and you should like Ballard. He has the same approach as Polian in paying his own that fit our system and building the team by targeting players that fit our system. Like him or not Ballard has a philosophy and he has stuck too it. That is the sign of a man that is comfortable in his job, isn’t going to overreach or make stupid rash decisions. The Irsay family loves him. Like it or not he isn’t going anywhere.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We are set up to take anyone we like. BPA. Which is good. We can take a tackle (think Smith could be transitioned off soon because his salary and age) we can take corner, we can take DL, we can take TE. I will almost lay money we trade back though. That is our MO. Buffalo might move up for a WR in our range…KC could as well…I could also see Philly moving up for an elite corner around our pick up too. IMO those are teams to watch for a trade if we do. All said though we are in a really good spot for a possible top 10 blue chip talent to fall to us because of the qb situation this year.

I think DE is more likely than T. But agree with the bold a lot... 

If you can move back, and get a 2nd rd out of it, I would think that would be too inciting not to. 

I am out on Bowers, I don't really see the need, and I am not sold he translates to the NFL. 

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

With what it cost Carolina, that may be pushing it.  2023 1st & 2nd, 2024 1st and 2025 2nd....pretty steep price, but might be worth a gamble.  Throw in a number 1 WR on top of it? Ehhhh.....

lala land talk 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zlinedavid said:

I would think moving from 4th would cost less capital than what Carolina gave up. Also if you hit on your QB and he is great then it shouldn't matter what the cost is. I know you won't hit on every pick or free agent signing but you will never get a huge home run if you don't swing.

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I wouldn't be so sure on that.  If you exclude 2020, when he was injured in week 6, he's averaged 1000 rushing yards and 8 TDs on 4.1YPC.  He's also underrated as a receiver out of the backfield (333 yards, 44 receptions, 2 TDs average) and will be a great relief valve for CJ.  He's also reliable, having only lost 4 fumbles in 6+ seasons. 

Only real worry is that he's entering the 8th year of his career.  He's really only had one major injury, which was in 2020...some kind of undisclosed foot injury.  He's missed a game here and there with minor stuff, but overall has been pretty healthy.  No major knee or ankle problems anyway. 

Is Mix a franchise back like a Derrick Henry or CMC? No, but he's a heck of an upgrade from what they had, and if he stays healthy, will give that offense a new dimension. 

If he has lost an ounce of explosiveness he is nil... he wasn't a supreme athlete or speed to begin with.