2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

At least the games there 3 AFC South teams are trying to improve their teams. Ballard brings back mainly mediocre players from a mediocre team. Our only two outside free agents are a backup QB and a backup DT. We have 40 mil tied up to 3 DT's. We have one of them highest paid guard, Kicker, RB and punters but still no CB's or safeties. Pittman is pretty much the only really good player we have resigned 

Ballard builds through the draft. It just is who he is. He trusts his ability (correct or not) to identify talent in the draft. I’d be shocked if we don’t take a corner with our first pick. There should be a couple elite ones sitting there. He will get a safety in the draft as well later on and then supplement in free agency after the $$ drops. There are a ton of veteran safeties available and even some interesting corners that could move over to the roll.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 2:57 PM, Seeking6 said:

No clue but if Odunze or Nabers falls to 9 I think you have to take one of them. If not...trade back to a spot where you still get one of the 3 edge guys to be opposite of Sweat while getting more picks.

I really like Nabors.  You never know, he could surpass Harrison. Harrison has that radius and ability in close quarters but this kid is really electric.  Very sudden.   LT could also be interesting to have stud bookends for Williams.   Bears are in a very good spot.   Their future looks excellent.  You get some of these tough spots filled and then over time you stack the defense.  Next 2-3 drafts after this year with a heavy emphasis on D and this team can take off.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really like Nabors.  You never know, he could surpass Harrison. Harrison has that radius and ability in close quarters but this kid is really electric.  Very sudden.   LT could also be interesting to have stud bookends for Williams.   Bears are in a very good spot.   Their future looks excellent.  You get some of these tough spots filled and then over time you stack the defense.  Next 2-3 drafts after this year with a heavy emphasis on D and this team can take off.   

I have heard some talking heads claiming that some NFL teams ranking Nabors higher than Harrison. Not sure if that is true or not, but I do think it may be more of a 1A/1B situation than a few months back. I would take Harrison over Nabors if given the opportunity but I am adamant that the Bears should take Nabors or Odunze if they fall to 9. I love the addition of Keenan but he is getting up there in age and would be a great mentor for a young receiver.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

38 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I have heard some talking heads claiming that some NFL teams ranking Nabors higher than Harrison. Not sure if that is true or not, but I do think it may be more of a 1A/1B situation than a few months back. I would take Harrison over Nabors if given the opportunity but I am adamant that the Bears should take Nabors or Odunze if they fall to 9. I love the addition of Keenan but he is getting up there in age and would be a great mentor for a young receiver.

I'm a Nabors guy...so if he's there we take him. If he isn't trade back and grab one of the edges while getting picks. 

You give CW DJ, Keenan and Nabors along with Kmet/Everett, and Swift...that's looking pretty good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Ballard builds through the draft. It just is who he is. He trusts his ability (correct or not) to identify talent in the draft. I’d be shocked if we don’t take a corner with our first pick. There should be a couple elite ones sitting there. He will get a safety in the draft as well later on and then supplement in free agency after the $$ drops. There are a ton of veteran safeties available and even some interesting corners that could move over to the roll.

Maybe it is time to change his philosophy since his hasn't worked. As for CB we already have enough young ones and we need a veteran on there 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm a Nabors guy...so if he's there we take him. If he isn't trade back and grab one of the edges while getting picks. 

You give CW DJ, Keenan and Nabors along with Kmet/Everett, and Swift...that's looking pretty good.

I think Odunze is really good as well. I would he happy with either of the two and we would be stacked at receiver.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe it is time to change his philosophy since his hasn't worked. As for CB we already have enough young ones and we need a veteran on there 

I think Ballard is playing the long game…looking 2-3 years out.

Just now, dgambill said:

I think Ballard is playing the long game…looking 2-3 years out.

LOL! He is going into his 8th season so how long does he need. It seems like the only thing he cares about is his cap space but he never uses it.

If he hit more with his early draft picks maybe we wouldn't be in this situation. In 7 years he hasn't won the worst division in football and only made the playoffs twice

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

LOL! He is going into his 8th season so how long does he need. It seems like the only thing he cares about is his cap space but he never uses it.

If he hit more with his early draft picks maybe we wouldn't be in this situation. In 7 years he hasn't won the worst division in football and only made the playoffs twice

Irsay doesn’t like to change coaches or GMs. He values continuity. Ballard is no where close to the hot seat…so he has plenty of time. 

Good or bad it’s just how it is. Plus Indy doesnt have the money for the guaranteed contracts. It’s about the money that has to be put into escrow. They’ve spent a bunch on their own with those big contracts.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Irsay doesn’t like to change coaches or GMs. He values continuity. Ballard is no where close to the hot seat…so he has plenty of time. 

Good or bad it’s just how it is. Plus Indy doesnt have the money for the guaranteed contracts. It’s about the money that has to be put into escrow. They’ve spent a bunch on their own with those big contracts.

If we don't make the playoffs this year Ballard has to be fired. I understand about keeping your own if the team was a championship caliber team but I don't understand bring back marginal players. Pittman was the only one I thought that was imperative to bring back. Why bring back Grover then sign another DT and then bring back Bryan another DT. I just think he puts his premium money in the wrong positions.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If we don't make the playoffs this year Ballard has to be fired. I understand about keeping your own if the team was a championship caliber team but I don't understand bring back marginal players. Pittman was the only one I thought that was imperative to bring back. Why bring back Grover then sign another DT and then bring back Bryan another DT. I just think he puts his premium money in the wrong positions.

Maybe I’m wrong but Grover was one of the highest rated run stopper. I agree Ballard has hit on all the positions that aren’t what I would call game changers..but he isn’t on the hot seat. As long as Richardson isn’t a flat out bust he will get a few more years. Irsay sees him as family. I’d say he has more support in the organization than Woody has on the BOT.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe I’m wrong but Grover was one of the highest rated run stopper. I agree Ballard has hit on all the positions that aren’t what I would call game changers..but he isn’t on the hot seat. As long as Richardson isn’t a flat out bust he will get a few more years. Irsay sees him as family. I’d say he has more support in the organization than Woody has on the BOT.

How many GM' would get 8 years while making the playoffs twice and has 1 playoff win. Us IU fans wants to fire Woodson after 3 years and no losing seasons while winning 2 tournament games.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/3/23/24109855/colts-problems-go-deeper-than-losing-out-on-ljarius-sneed

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

How many GM' would get 8 years while making the playoffs twice and has 1 playoff win. Us IU fans wants to fire Woodson after 3 years and no losing seasons while winning 2 tournament games.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/3/23/24109855/colts-problems-go-deeper-than-losing-out-on-ljarius-sneed

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2024/3/23/24109789/chris-ballards-reticence-to-change-his-approach-will-end-up-losing-him-the-job

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That same article shows exactly why you don’t build in free agency. Grigson made huge swings and effectively ended Lucks career. The Sneed deal was good to pass on. We aren’t a corner away….let the Titans make that mistake. They make huge splash in free agency and are still the worst team in the division. Also Ballard made a big swing by trading a first to SF, making moves for Wentz and Ryan…he has taken big swings. It’s a silly article…and pointless because Ballard isn’t going anywhere right now. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

If Frank Reich wins the games he's favored in we would have been in the playoffs more than once thats for sure. 

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Premium money? Who's getting Premium money because Buckner on the DL. You have to have 4 DTs lol 

Grover and Kenny weren't imperative? Just crazy talk. Who are you so entrenched with adding that is some massive difference maker in FA that should trump Grover and Kenny? Oh and Franklin lol the leading tackler in the NFL. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What early picks were misses? 

Nelson, Richardson, Kwity, and Malik Hooker? All hits 

2nd and 3rd rds he's been even better. 

All this because we don't trade for a corner who's good to very good, but isn't Sauce Gardner, to pay him $10 million dollars more than any corner in the history of the NFL? Lol 

After we just drafted two good rookies last year, signed Kenny, and still have Flowers? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

What early picks were misses? 

Nelson, Richardson, Kwity, and Malik Hooker? All hits 

2nd and 3rd rds he's been even better. 

Paye and Hooker was definitely a miss. Also there have been a lot of misses in the second round

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

All this because we don't trade for a corner who's good to very good, but isn't Sauce Gardner, to pay him $10 million dollars more than any corner in the history of the NFL? Lol 

After we just drafted two good rookies last year, signed Kenny, and still have Flowers? 

It isn't just about this trade but Ballard's reluctance to make any moves to bring in any difference makers.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Paye and Hooker was definitely a miss. Also there have been a lot of misses in the second round

I don’t agree on Paye.  He may not be a stud pass rusher but he is adequate and he is really good at setting the edge in the run game.  Don’t look at stats.  Go watch film and watch how Paye impacts the run game when he is there v when he is not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Kwity Paye isn't anything close to a miss, he had a tremendous year last year and I don't really see that Hooker was, especially outside of injury. 

He's hit WAY more in the 2nd then he's missed. 

Edited by btownqb

1 hour ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I don’t agree on Paye.  He may not be a stud pass rusher but he is adequate and he is really good at setting the edge in the run game.  Don’t look at stats.  Go watch film and watch how Paye impacts the run game when he is there v when he is not.

You want your first round pick to be more than adequate