2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, BGleas said:

Burrows also has more road playoff wins then Patrick Mahomes, granted Mahomes has never played in a road playoff game. 

Yep. Lots of ways to interpret any stat for sure and I don't know which one is more impressive honestly. The 3 by Burrows already or that Mahomes just hasn't played a road playoff game.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. Lots of ways to interpret any stat for sure and I don't know which one is more impressive honestly. The 3 by Burrows already or that Mahomes just hasn't played a road playoff game.

I interpret the stats as home field is important...unless you are Joe Burrows.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Burrows also has more road playoff wins then Patrick Mahomes, granted Mahomes has never played in a road playoff game. 

I don't recall a ton of road playoff games for Peyton or Montana, either. Peyton played in a few early in his career, but only one road playoff game after he won the Super Bowl with the Colts.

So while that's a really impressive stat for Burrow, it also goes to show just how dominant some QBs were in the regular season.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

2) In 2019 Mahomes suffered a high ankle sprain in week 1. In week 2 he threw for 443 yards and 4 TD's vs Raiders. Granted the Bengals D is better but just food for thought this week. 

The difference we will see, if there is any, will be on the ground.  His scrambling beyond the line of scrimmage may be limited.

Either way, I expect it to be a one score game. The injury, if it matters, could turn a 3 point Chiefs win into a 3 point Bengals win.  But, the Bengals will not do to the Chiefs what they did to the Bills.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

The difference we will see, if there is any, will be on the ground.  His scrambling beyond the line of scrimmage may be limited.

Either way, I expect it to be a one score game. The injury, if it matters, could turn a 3 point Chiefs win into a 3 point Bengals win.  But, the Bengals will not do to the Chiefs what they did to the Bills.

Your DC Lou Anarumo sp?? Is vaulting up the charts lately. Sounds like a guy who will get a head coaching gig sometime soon. If I'm him I trying to figure out a way to keep Mahomes in the pocket....because even with the injury he does his best work on the move. Oh...and put two guys on Kelce.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The Bengals' O-line had a dream game v. the Bills. I heard today that the rookie tackle gave up zero sacks, zero hits and 1 pressure in 38 drop backs. That is not going to happen against Frank Clark, Chris Jones, et al. Burrows is going to have a much tougher time than he did against Buffalo. 

I still think and hope Cincinnati wins, but it's gonna be a dogfight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Bengals' O-line had a dream game v. the Bills. I heard today that the rookie tackle gave up zero sacks, zero hits and 1 pressure in 38 drop backs. That is not going to happen against Frank Clark, Chris Jones, et al. Burrows is going to have a much tougher time than he did against Buffalo. 

I still think and hope Cincinnati wins, but it's gonna be a dogfight.

Understood.  I honestly believe the Bengals are gonna win in convincing fashion.  I just see Cincy doing the same thing to the Chiefs as they did the Bills.  Get up 2 scores early and make KC play the whole game trying to catch up.  I base my prediction on 3 things:

1)  I think the Bengals defense is better.

2)  I think the Bengals running game is better.

3)  I don't gamble.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The more I think about it, the more I believe the Eagles are the team to beat for the Super Bowl.  They have the best combination of O-Line and D-Line.   

Maybe… 

With the exception of quarterback, the 49ers have an All-pro/Pro Bowl player at every other position room. Not sure any other team can say that. I really think that their D-line neutralizes the Eagles’ O-line, Fred Warner plays spy on Hurts and keeps him in check, and the Eagles have trouble scoring. My biggest concern is that Purdy may not be ready for this big of a stage.

Could be a low scoring game 

58 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Maybe… 

With the exception of quarterback, the 49ers have an All-pro/Pro Bowl player at every other position room. Not sure any other team can say that. I really think that their D-line neutralizes the Eagles’ O-line, Fred Warner plays spy on Hurts and keeps him in check, and the Eagles have trouble scoring. My biggest concern is that Purdy may not be ready for this big of a stage.

Could be a low scoring game 

The challenge with spying Hurts is that you’re taking a guy out of coverage on Smith and Brown. Philly has so many weapons.

I agree with your point about how good SF is across the board, but I think Philly is that good across the board too. I go edge Philly because of line play and QB play, but I won’t be shocked either way. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Your DC Lou Anarumo sp?? Is vaulting up the charts lately. Sounds like a guy who will get a head coaching gig sometime soon. If I'm him I trying to figure out a way to keep Mahomes in the pocket....because even with the injury he does his best work on the move. Oh...and put two guys on Kelce.

That guy that normally has to sit in the middle of the field and spy Mahomes can now bracket Kelce. It makes a difference for sure. If Cincy can generate a pass rush like they did on Buffalo…Mahomes won’t be able to throw the ball downfield or really step into his throws. I expect a lot of short and intermediate routes and hoping for run after catch with KC receivers and backs…Cincy advantage is they are the best tackling team in football. In the end the team that can get off the field on 3rd down and can hold opponent to fgs in the red zone will surely win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Understood.  I honestly believe the Bengals are gonna win in convincing fashion.  I just see Cincy doing the same thing to the Chiefs as they did the Bills.  Get up 2 scores early and make KC play the whole game trying to catch up.  I base my prediction on 3 things:

1)  I think the Bengals defense is better.

2)  I think the Bengals running game is better.

3)  I don't gamble.

I think Cincy is the favorite too. That said it is impossible to know how things will go. So many variables with injuries and turnovers, a dropped pass, bad call. KC is very good so we will see how things swing. One thing to be aware though is KC is the master of playing from behind. It actually plays right into what they do best…their strength. Buffalo was just beaten up by the end of the year and didn’t have the depth to step in. KC is certainly less dynamic without Hill…so they are not as good on offense this year but much better on defense….they must get pressure on Burrow because their secondary won’t hold up. Clark and Jones need to push the pocket like Miller and Donald did in the SB. 

Edited by dgambill

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Cincy is the favorite too. That said it is impossible to know how things will go. So many variables with injuries and turnovers, a dropped pass, bad call. KC is very good so we will see how things swing. One thing to be aware though is KC is the master of playing from behind. It actually plays right into what they do best…their strength. Buffalo was just beaten up by the end of the year and didn’t have the depth to step in. KC is certainly less dynamic without Hill…so they are not as good on offense this year but much better on defense….they must get pressure on Burrow because their secondary won’t hold up. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The challenge with spying Hurts is that you’re taking a guy out of coverage on Smith and Brown. Philly has so many weapons.

I agree with your point about how good SF is across the board, but I think Philly is that good across the board too. I go edge Philly because of line play and QB play, but I won’t be shocked either way. 

Agree, but the db’s on SF are really strong. Hufanga is Pro-Bowl and Lenoir and Ward are not far behind.

Last year, Hurts was horrible in the playoffs. Certainly he is a better quarterback this year, but I want to see him handle the pressure before I am convinced that the Eagles are the best team left 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree, but the db’s on SF are really strong. Hufanga is Pro-Bowl and Lenoir and Ward are not far behind.

Last year, Hurts was horrible in the playoffs. Certainly he is a better quarterback this year, but I want to see him handle the pressure before I am convinced that the Eagles are the best team left 

I would understand this, except Purdy is far more inexperienced and unproven then Hurts, and Purdy has to deal with the Eagles defensive line who led the league in sacks by +15 more then the team with the second most. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I would understand this, except Purdy is far more inexperienced and unproven then Hurts, and Purdy has to deal with the Eagles defensive line who led the league in sacks by +15 more then the team with the second most. 

Agree and I think I said that he is the wild card or reservation to the whole discussion. Don’t know if he’s ready for this big of a stage 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree and I think I said that he is the wild card or reservation to the whole discussion. Don’t know if he’s ready for this big of a stage 

Gotcha, I missed that part. Definitely a strong matchup. Both really good defenses, both have numerous weapons and both have young, inexperienced QB's. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The Eagles also have elite DBs. Darius Slay and Bradberry are arguably the best duo of corners in the league.

I think all four teams left are elite, won’t be surprised with any of them winning. I wouldn’t really put any in a class above the others at this point. I personally think edge to the Eagles in the NFC and Chiefs in the AFC (pending Mahomes health), but that’s not a comment at all about how good the 9ers and Bengals are. We’ve got four Super Bowl worthy teams left. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Colts fans have gotten absolutely ridiculous on Twitter about Jeff Saturday

Saturday in the park
I think it was the Fourth of July
Saturday in the park
I think it was the Fourth of July
People dancing, people laughing
A man selling ice cream
Singing Italian songs

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1