2023 NFL Discussion

rico

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

That was the tipping point. Go up three scores and temper SF’s momentum. Failing to pick up that 4th down totally changed the game

That was definitely the tipping point. I thinl they should have kicked it, but in Campbell's defense the play worked. The WR dropped what should have been an easy catch. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Where’s @jefftheref?

He lives in Michigan.

Can’t believe he’s not watching, even though he claims to be a Packer fan 

I actually did watch it. Never give up points in a playoff game. Both the Packer's and Lions did and they both lost.

I will be rooting for the Chiefs even though I can't stand Taylor Swift.

I hope they pound the team from the California or as I call it the shi?hole state.

🤣.. or you know, the team that Mahomes plays on, coupled with the work the GM/Coaches do, along with Patrick's continued excellent play have put the Chiefs in a position to win another super bowl. 

the continued glorification of the QB position... he's awesome, but he shouldn't be the story, then again neither should be Swift/Kelce. THEIR TEAM. should be the story, the defense has been money all year.

Things that frustrate me in sports for 500, please, Alex. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

See... an example of not understanding the game. 

Game flow did NOT allow the Ravens to have any sort of huge number of rushing attempts, especially by RBs. 

I disagree. IMO the offensive cordinator crapped the bed. They got down (but never more than two scores). They abandoned their identity and played right into Chiefs strength. They were successful when they ran it…they didn’t trust their team. They didn’t trust their defense to hold (when it did in the second half) and they didn’t trust themselves to play their strength. They played tight and scared. That game had tons of time for them to get back into it. It was never too far out of hand. SF got down big but they never went away from what they did…it was the right plan so they stayed the course and it eventually started working….actually so much so that Detroit freaked out they would milk out the clock and started going for it on 4th down.  Nobody stopped Baltimore running attack…except themselves. 

7 minutes ago, btownqb said:

🤣.. or you know, the team that Mahomes plays on, coupled with the work the GM/Coaches do, along with Patrick's continued excellent play have put the Chiefs in a position to win another super bowl. 

the continued glorification of the QB position... he's awesome, but he shouldn't be the story, then again neither should be Swift/Kelce. THEIR TEAM. should be the story, the defense has been money all year.

Yep…Spags called a brilliant game.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I disagree. IMO the offensive cordinator crapped the bed. They got down (but never more than two scores). They abandoned their identity and played right into Chiefs strength. They were successful when they ran it…they didn’t trust their team. They didn’t trust their defense to hold (when it did in the second half) and they didn’t trust themselves to play their strength. They played tight and scared. That game had tons of time for them to get back into it. It was never too far out of hand. SF got down big but they never went away from what they did…it was the right plan so they stayed the course and it eventually started working….actually so much so that Detroit freaked out they would milk out the clock and started going for it on 4th down.  Nobody stopped Baltimore running attack…except themselves. 

And, I'll add, the Ravens O-line could not hold up to the blitzes or even the 4 man rush from KC. Lamar was under constant pressure. Running the ball more frequently could very well have slowed down the pass rush, and made the Chief's front 7 honor the run game

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They played the entire 2nd half down 2 scores. 

3 turnovers and 3 3 and outs. 

How can throwing the ball 37 times out of 53 total offensive plays be playing tight and scared, if you're the Ravens? They did have tons of time to get back in it, their lack of execution offensively sealed their fate, though. O cord-- didn't throw it into triple coverage in the RZ, he didn't fumble as he was running into the EZ, and he did not fumble in the pocket.... that's on the players. 

Greenie said that was the "hardest to understand" of all the things that happened yesterday? .. that's wild. That's dramatic, an alleged MVP candidate making a throw, an underthrow of all things, into triple coverage with the game on the line was massively harder to understand than not realizing how much game flow affected play calling. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

And, I'll add, the Ravens O-line could not hold up to the blitzes or even the 4 man rush from KC. Lamar was under constant pressure. Running the ball more frequently could very well have slowed down the pass rush, and made the Chief's front 7 honor the run game

It wasn't effective when they did run, though. 6 carries for 6 yards, outside of GE one 15 yard run. 

It's a thing why they got beat, Greenie is dumb to think it's THE thing on why they got beat. 2 RZ TOs affected the outcome much more than the lack of running back touches. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

They played the entire 2nd half down 2 scores. 

3 turnovers and 3 3 and outs. 

How can throwing the ball 37 times out of 53 total offensive plays be playing tight and scared, if you're the Ravens? They did have tons of time to get back in it, their lack of execution offensively sealed their fate, though. O cord-- didn't throw it into triple coverage in the RZ, he didn't fumble as he was running into the EZ, and he did not fumble in the pocket.... that's on the players. 

Greenie said that was the "hardest to understand" of all the things that happened yesterday? .. that's wild. That's dramatic, an alleged MVP candidate making a throw, an underthrow of all things, into triple coverage with the game on the line was massively harder to understand than not realizing how much game flow affected play calling. 

Agree with the horrendous decision to throw into triple coverage. Said to my son during the game that if the MVP votes haven't been cast yet, Lamar could have very well played himself out of contention.

• Like 1

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree with the horrendous decision to throw into triple coverage. Said to my son during the game that if the MVP votes haven't been cast yet, Lamar could have very well played himself out of contention.

I think I would have voted for CMC the whole time. But, I also don't think the candidates were very strong this year. 

• Like 2

Just now, btownqb said:

It wasn't effective when they did run, though. 6 carries for 6 yards, outside of GE one 15 yard run. 

It's a thing why they got beat, Greenie is dumb to think it's THE thing on why they got beat. 2 RZ TOs affected the outcome much more than the lack of running back touches. 

Understand....but you often see in games that teams keep running the ball, even if not well, to slow down the rush. The Chiefs' pass rushers were just pinning their ears back. The Ravens' O-line didn't stand a chance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Do you give up running the ball after 6 times? Imo trusting Lamar to pass against a defense set up to defend the pass is what beat them…Lamar had some called runs as well and those went fine too. They simply just didn’t commit to it. Lots of reasons for the loss but losing their identity was reason #1. Of course 3 critical turnovers are also a big part of it. I mean it wasn’t just Greenie saying it….every coach on every panel has said it all day. Trying to let Lamar play like Mahomes or Brady to me cost them that game. Monken should be grateful to Detroit for changing the narrative with their collapse because Baltimore had an epic one with their coaching staff yesterday.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Do you give up running the ball after 6 times? Imo trusting Lamar to pass against a defense set up to defend the pass is what beat them…Lamar had some called runs as well and those went fine too. They simply just didn’t commit to it. Lots of reasons for the loss but losing their identity was reason #1. Of course 3 critical turnovers are also a big part of it. I mean it wasn’t just Greenie saying it….every coach on every panel has said it all day. Trying to let Lamar play like Mahomes or Brady to me cost them that game. Monken should be grateful to Detroit for changing the narrative with their collapse because Baltimore had an epic one with their coaching staff yesterday.

Rex Ryan was critical of the Ravens because 81% of their plays were drop back passes. He said that isn't their identity and should have done what they did all year

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Rex Ryan was critical of the Ravens because 81% of their plays were drop back passes. He said that isn't their identity and should have done what they did all year

I, too, was critical of the Ravens...............well, because they are the f*n Ravens.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, btownqb said:

Gonna need you to change your username with that hot take.  😁

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Yep…he pretty much put the blame on Todd Monken, the Ravens OC.  Said it was a stupid game plan, in so many words.

Catching up on NFL from weekend. No order of importance.

1) Zero issue with Campbell going for it....only problem I had was the run call to burn the timeout. Besides the going for it chatter that game is over if Vildor either intercepts that pass or knocks it down or if Reynolds doesn't have those drops. Kudos to San Fran though.

2) KC and Baltimore. Tough one because I love KC and as a Bears fan I've always wanted us to emulate the Ravens franchise. In the end Mahomes did his thing, Kelce was phenomenal (it's not that easy to continually find the soft spots in the D), and the Chiefs D is carrying the water. Totally blew up Ravens game plan and forced them into something Lamar just isn't successful at yet.

3) Couple other things. Peyton used to get crucified for not getting over the hump his first several years....same for Lamar and Allen. Until they do just deal with it.

4) Lastly...love me some Kelce/Swift. I'm amazed at the anger towards them but oh well. Lots weird anger going around these days.