2023 NFL Discussion

rico

9 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Just curious…is your response related to the move by the Lions…or specifically toward the player?  

I don't love the trend. Not sure there is anything to do to alleviate it. 

"vet players late in seasons (Ertz, Dalvin Cook), asking to be released just to jump onto a bandwagon"... just not for me. Like damn.. there are 3 total football games left in the season lol 

Smart by the Lions. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"vet players late in seasons (Ertz, Dalvin Cook), asking to be released just to jump onto a bandwagon"... just not for me. Like damn.. there are 3 total football games left in the season lol 

Smart by the Lions. 

Yeah…I understand what you’re saying.

7 hours ago, btownqb said:

Smart by the Lions. 

Agree with your point.  Other sports don’t let you bring in outside players after the regular season ends.   With a 53 man roster and larger practice squad than before, you should be able to survive the playoffs with what you have in house.   Roster maneuvering before the playoffs should be part of the strategy.  IMO

• Like 2

Brilliant move by Harbaugh.

His NC will overshadow anything else in his UM tenure, so he will always be revered by the school and fanbase.

Like him or not, he's simply won everywhere he's gone. And now he won't have to battle the NCAA anymore.

Justin Herbert has got to be so happy.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

His NC will overshadow anything else in his UM tenure, so he will always be revered by the school and fanbase.

Like him or not, he's simply won everywhere he's gone. And now he won't have to battle the NCAA anymore.

Chargers will be in the playoffs next year.

50 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

I can’t help but see this as a parallel to Pete Carroll. 
Take a team to the championship game and then bail on the school to escape repercussions from his actions.

No respect for Carroll and no respect for Harbaugh 

25 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Take a team to the championship game and then bail on the school to escape repercussions from his actions.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He’s a job hopper and has flirted with going back to the NFL before.  Personally, I don’t think he’s escaping anything.  I think getting back to the NFL has been the goal all along.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Pete Carroll yes. Jim Harbaugh no. He served his time, and faced the repercussions. He is moving on from something that i would say did him dirty. He is like the ornery kid in class that gets in trouble all of the time that other kids get away with.  

17 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Harbaugh confirmed to Chargers

If I'm Harbaugh, I ask for the Ohtani contract structure. While living in SoCal, back load the compensation to the end. Then move to a state/territory with no income tax. If he's paid $75M over five years, he'd save close to $9M in taxes. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If I'm Harbaugh, I ask for the Ohtani contract structure. While living in SoCal, back load the compensation to the end. Then move to a state/territory with no income tax. If he's paid $75M over five years, he'd save close to $9M in taxes. 

not a bad idea, but i would counter by saying get the bag now, and smart investing can easily make up for the $9M

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

not a bad idea, but i would counter by saying get the bag now, and smart investing can easily make up for the $9M

and ... JH has already had three different prominent, well-paid positions in the state of CA.. I'd say he knows 

Sort of four positions

13 hours ago, ledies22 said:

Pete Carroll yes. Jim Harbaugh no. He served his time, and faced the repercussions. He is moving on from something that i would say did him dirty. He is like the ornery kid in class that gets in trouble all of the time that other kids get away with.  

Well, Harbaugh was negotiating with the university to protect himself in the event that the NCAA investigation turned ugly so I would take that as he knew he was more guilty than was let on 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 12:24 PM, 13th&Jackson said:

I don’t think it works that way since he will get paid for where he worked (LA). That said maybe they will move again and perhaps then he will avoid it.

On 1/25/2024 at 12:25 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Listening to the Herd on Sirius. Chargers lost 7 games by 3 points or less.

My only concern is that their skill players are either getting older, are injury prone, or both 

They have a lot of cap issues so I bet a lot of those guys will be gone….he will bring in his own guys and build the culture he wants…not sure they will be in the playoffs year 1 but I bet there will be improvement with mental and physical toughness.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think it works that way since he will get paid for where he worked (LA). That said maybe they will move again and perhaps then he will avoid it.

Well I heard them talking about the Ohtani contract on Bloomberg financial TV and they said part of the reason for the structure was to have the bulk of the income at the end when he could establish residence in a tax friendly state or territory 

• Like 1