2023 NFL Discussion

rico

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but here is the challenge that people who refuse to pay will have going forward.  Today's generation is growing up with streaming as their primary source of television entertainment.  This is what they know and they will drop money for that instead of going to the movies, eating out, or even attending the event live.  In 10-15 years, there will be very little sports on 'free' tv.

The streaming we have in my house is not because of me.  It's the work of my 17 year old daughter convincing my wife of the advantages. I resisted at the beginning, and even cancelled Netflix for a while I few years ago.  Now, I've generally accepted it.  I watch very little TV, and what I do is almost exclusively sports.  Having the subscriptions comes in handy for situations like this when the event is not otherwise available.     

I get that.  I really do, but right now I don’t have to worry about that.  If and when that ever comes I’ll deal with that later.  I’m not convinced there will never be the “free” option either, but we will see.  Oh, and all of that doesn’t dispute my assertion that the NFL and Big Ten is just being greedy.  Moving a game to Peacock isn’t about pushing a streaming only option IMO.  Maybe I’m wrong? 🤷‍♂️

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Peacock. I guess I don't get all the fuss. I know it's not ideal and maybe people have to change things up a bit but for $5.99/month or $1.99/month on Black Friday you get the IU games (including Tuesday), obviously the NFL games and for those that like Indy Car you'll get races down the road.

To me it's the best value going for streaming. 

It's over the top.  For $20 the entire year on black Friday I get what, 3 or 4 IU games,  a playoff(that should be antenna yes) and a ton of other content.  For twenty dollars.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's over the top.  For $20 the entire year on black Friday I get what, 3 or 4 IU games,  a playoff(that should be antenna yes) and a ton of other content.  For twenty dollars.  

And a lot of other good series on there too.

I won't derail thread anymore but to me it's a steal and I happen to be one of the most frugal guys in the world when it comes to things like this.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

All Bears fans right now thinking about a new QB:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9525z8wk6koz8k757c8et

I’m the furthest thing from a Bears fan.  I was not a fan of Fields going into the season.  But I thought he and the team showed some growth.  Do I think the Bears will go in a new direction?  Yes.  Do I think it’s a guarantee?  Personally, I don’t.  I can see the argument about adding weapons to him (including the OL) and see where they can go rather than gambling on the unknown.  Again, I can see the argument.  I’m not saying what they should or shouldn’t do.

1 minute ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

I’m the furthest thing from a Bears fan.  I was not a fan of Fields going into the season.  But I thought he and the team showed some growth.  Do I think the Bears will go in a new direction?  Yes.  Do I think it’s a guarantee?  Personally, I don’t.  I can see the argument about adding weapons to him (including the OL) and see where they can go rather than gambling on the unknown.  Again, I can see the argument.  I’m not saying what they should or shouldn’t do.

Yeah, I don't think it is 100% that the Bears move on from Fields, but I think it is likely. I really think it will come down to if Poles and company like the mental makeup of Caleb. I don't think there is a question he has the talent, but could he thrive in Chicago, with high expectations and that media/fanbase? That is the big question. The sad thing is that Fields does have the mentality for Chicago. I do believe that if Poles thinks he could be great in Chicago, he has to take him and roll the dice. If he doesn't think he can thrive with the Bears, then he can take the kings ransom from a team and build around Fields.

3 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Yeah, I don't think it is 100% that the Bears move on from Fields, but I think it is likely. I really think it will come down to if Poles and company like the mental makeup of Caleb. I don't think there is a question he has the talent, but could he thrive in Chicago, with high expectations and that media/fanbase? That is the big question. The sad thing is that Fields does have the mentality for Chicago. I do believe that if Poles thinks he could be great in Chicago, he has to take him and roll the dice. If he doesn't think he can thrive with the Bears, then he can take the kings ransom from a team and build around Fields.

Is Drake Maye not a realistic option if Caleb doesn’t have the mental make up?

24 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

There's a decent chance, that if the Bears draft Williams or Maye, that fields will still end up being the best QB of the bunch.  If I'm Chicago, I trade #1 for some picks.  

Can't disagree here

7 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My nephew(15) is going to the Bills game tonight.  I'll try and get some pics.  

Steelers making a game of this after being down 21-0.  Bills having to play a significant number of backups due to injuries.  Score now is 24-17 Bills.

Edited by jv1972iu

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Had no clue this game started this early and I'm wondering why it's not in prime time?

It was supposed to be yesterday, but got postponed due to weather.  Philly vs Tampa was already in the prime time tv slot.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If the Eagles lay an egg tonight they will be the butt of these memes as well 

Not really. The Eagles have been fading for weeks. I think at this point, the expectations are lower. 

Plus, the Cowboys are "America's Team" and literally dominate the sports news regardless of whether they deserve it or not.