2023 NFL Discussion

rico

Just now, btownqb said:

btw.. I also think it's 100% wrong these guys aren't allowed to play during these trials/whatever. (Bauer and Watson). If these guys were gas station clerks, they'd still be going to work. I don't agree with the difference. 

Technically Watson is not on the commissoners list etc....Houston is paying him not to play. Cook may very well play this weekend.....it's a civil lawsuit and not criminal so NFL says they will let the team handle it. So it's up to the team how they want to proceed. They both will get paid either way. Houston doesn't want the bad publicity but Minnesota in the middle of a playoff attempt may think it's worth handling differently....especially since they aren't trying to actively trade the guy so they may want to keep him happy. Watson has one foot out the door so the team isn't trying to smooth things over.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Yep. had him all year long, as well. I have Dillon(I own Jones), Pollard, and Mattison on my bench. automatic RB1s if any of the starters get hurt. Hasn't turned out a huge profit so far, but... I also didn't really lose anything. What did I lose? Not having someone like Jamison Crowder on my bench. Meh

It's a crap shoot right now with Mattison. Minny might not bench Cooks....it's just very risky if you are a Cook owner in how they will handle this down the stretch....they may continue to get more public pressure etc....not saying they should or shouldn't do it either way....in the end it's a business decision for them and they are trying to make the playoffs. Not a good look or signal to families and taking kids to game though to have this out there and etc. I have Cook and Mattison in one of my leagues....very good investment for sure as he has always had a few games each year he misses.

Edited by dgambill

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Technically Watson is not on the commissoners list etc....Houston is paying him not to play. Cook may very well play this weekend.....it's a civil lawsuit and not criminal so NFL says they will let the team handle it. So it's up to the team how they want to proceed. They both will get paid either way. Houston doesn't want the bad publicity but Minnesota in the middle of a playoff attempt may think it's worth handling differently....especially since they aren't trying to actively trade the guy so they may want to keep him happy. Watson has one foot out the door so the team isn't trying to smooth things over.

yeah yeah.. I get all that. I'm talking in general. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

It's a crap shoot right now with Mattison. Minny might not bench Cooks....it's just very risky if you are a Cook owner in how they will handle this down the stretch....they may continue to get more public pressure etc....not saying they should or shouldn't do it either way....in the end it's a business decision for them and they are trying to make the playoffs. Not a good look or signal to families and taking kids to game though to have this out there and etc.

NOT the NFLs job. Flat out. Not their job. That's my exact confusion. 

Just now, btownqb said:

yeah yeah.. I get all that. I'm talking in general. 

Well....I've seen people at my work get let go for much much less. Not saying it is right or fair etc...but businesses cut tie with their employees over PR nightmares all the time.....at least these pros are getting major cash to sit and hide.

4 hours ago, btownqb said:

Nahh.. listen to the McAfee podcast. He is just a dude that wants to be left alone. 

Don't buy it for a minute. Once the story went into places like People magazine, he knew he needed to hire a spin doctor. The second McAfee interview wasn't really an interview. Rodgers never let Pat have a word. Like he had been coached what to say, and he was gonna say it without being questioned. 

Rodgers is a smart dude, and he knows the court of public opinion is absolutely against him. This had nothing to do with being contrite, and everything to do with trying to repair his image.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Don't buy it for a minute. Once the story went into places like People magazine, he knew he needed to hire a spin doctor. The second McAfee interview wasn't really an interview. Rodgers never let Pat have a word. Like he had been coached what to say, and he was gonna say it without being questioned. 

Rodgers is a smart dude, and he knows the court of public opinion is absolutely against him. This had nothing to do with being contrite, and everything to do with trying to repair his image.

Trying to save future earnings(endorsement deals).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

NOT the NFLs job. Flat out. Not their job. That's my exact confusion. 

NFL is an entertainment business. It isn't their job to be role models I agree....but if you want to appeal to families and women especially and promote play 60 and player involvement in the communities etc...well there is a certain level of decorum that is going to be expected of your employees. I don't teach my child to look up to these men...and I realize they are far from perfect like myself. I do understand though that there is a certain PR aspect to all this stuff and it isn't so black and white.

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Sounds like there might be more to this story IF this is true.

FDzE7RxXEAMLlw-?format=jpg&name=large

Oh there is certainly two sides....we seen it all before...and I'm not taking a side. Not sure what is the 100% truth and at what point she went to go get a gun....after she was beaten up...before...it's just a bad situation all around for sure.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2021/11/dalvin-cook-14/

He also has a history of violence to women going back to FSU.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I don't agree. 

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

NFL is an entertainment business. It isn't their job to be role models I agree....but if you want to appeal to families and women especially and promote play 60 and player involvement in the communities etc...well there is a certain level of decorum that is going to be expected of your employees. I don't teach my child to look up to these men...and I realize they are far from perfect like myself. I do understand though that there is a certain PR aspect to all this stuff and it isn't so black and white.

I understand WHY they think that is their job, I just don't agree with it. 

• Like 1