2023 NFL Discussion

rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

How many weeks we got left before the NFL shuts down?

For Tennessee I'd say with another positive test this morning the NFL won't have a choice but to make them forfeit games soon. Especially since the photos surfaced yesterday of them blatantly violating NFL protocols with private practice.

Hate it for them but what other choice is left? The other 98% of the league is doing just fine. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

For Tennessee I'd say with another positive test this morning the NFL won't have a choice but to make them forfeit games soon. Especially since the photos surfaced yesterday of them blatantly violating NFL protocols with private practice.

Hate it for them but what other choice is left? The other 98% of the league is doing just fine. 

Not like baseball where you cna play double headers so they will need to forfeit games.

Watching an old Colt's game today from the 95 playoff s at San Diego.  Just so much difference on how the game is played especially how the game is called by the refs.  I would bet that there were 5 hits in that game that today would have drawn a flag for unnecessary roughness. 

Also how the broadcast is so different with the way the announcers call the game.  There are really no graphics on the screen during the game and you have no yellow line for a first down.

Last week we were talking about how teams did not make huge plays on offense and did not throw down the field.  The Colt's had 5 touchdowns and 3 were for 33,42 and 66 yards.

Edited by IU Scott

Interesting win for the Bears this week. As a few mentioned on here we would know more after this week. Our offense played like crap. Defense was ok....and still got a win. As said on Sunday. We won't face a D like Colts again this year. I like 4-1....but I'm assuming beat Brady and his 11-1 record on Thursday night somehow means the Bears are still playing the worst opponents in NFL. 

Joking aside. Solid win on an off night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Why can't the Bears run the football?

Have you looked at our Oline? To answer the question they just aren't good. When your GM invests high quality picks in TE, RB, QB, and elsewhere for years.....your line takes a beating because it's pieced together via free agency and bad players. Similar to what Grigson did by ending 12's career early....have to have quality line play on both sides.

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

They tried last night but weren’t getting anything. Bucs D line was too much for them to handle. 

That said, the decision not to run the ball on the last 2 plays before that game winning field goal was puzzling. 

What's worse is our best line guy Daniels has a torn pec which means he's done for year. 

• Sad 1

Not sure you can evaluate Bears' rushing game based on the last two games. Both the Colts and Bucs have excellent defenses, and no surprise that the Bears struggled. I bet most teams would have similar results playing those two teams back to back. 

In perspective, the first 3 games of the year the Bears rushed for 149, 135 and 130 yards respectively. These numbers, if carried forward, would put them in the top 10 league wise for average yards per game.  And remember, the Lions and Falcons games were ones where the Bears rallied from huge deficits, and were passing almost every down to catch up.

I am not a Bears fan in the least, but don't think fans should overreact to the last two performances.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure you can evaluate Bears' rushing game based on the last two games. Both the Colts and Bucs have excellent defenses, and no surprise that the Bears struggled. I bet most teams would have similar results playing those two teams back to back. 

In perspective, the first 3 games of the year the Bears rushed for 149, 135 and 130 yards respectively. These numbers, if carried forward, would put them in the top 10 league wise for average yards per game.  And remember, the Lions and Falcons games were ones where the Bears rallied from huge deficits, and were passing almost every down to catch up.

I am not a Bears fan in the least, but don't think fans should overreact to the last two performances.

Random question: can you clear something up that my wife and I debate about? 

Is the pronunciation or Steuben: steubin or Steu-BEN, when you emphasize the 'ben'? 

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Agree. Especially on Colts/Bucs. Their front 7 are very good and Colts I believe have best d in league so far. We'll see what happens moving forward because obviously 25 yards on the ground isn't going to cut it. Nagy obviously is no stranger to just abandoning the run completely but we'll get Foles killed if we remain this one dimensional.

1 minute ago, Steubenhoosier said:

As a Bear fan(after the Colts) I am concerned.  There is a reason they fell behind the Lions and Falcons by wide margins.

Just now, tdhoosier said:

Random question: can you clear something up that my wife and I debate about? 

Is the pronunciation or Steuben: steubin or Steu-BEN, when you emphasize the 'ben'? 

The latter. Named after Baron Fredrick von Steuben who was a Prussian soldier in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and who eventually became George Washington's chief-of-staff

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

STU-BEN

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

The latter. Named after Baron Fredrick von Steuben who was a Prussian soldier in the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War and who eventually became George Washington's chief-of-staff

Damnit, I'm wrong. As far as I know this conversation never happened.