2023 NFL Discussion

rico

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Haha....it was about 8 years ago in a league where I lost because of missed 60+ yarder. That's the last time we penalized a team for missing beyond 60. 

No penalty.  I won by .82, so any extra points from either McManus OR Russ there would have sunk me.  I needed Russ off the field and McManus not having something he could realistically make.

• Like 1

Per CBS:

Indianapolis Colts

Offense doesn't look much different from last season: The Colts have a new quarterback in Matt Ryan, but that's the only significant change in an offense that was inconsistent throughout last year (though Carson Wentz was the problem). 

This isn't Ryan's fault. Indianapolis has just two playmakers on offense: Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman. Taylor finished with 161 yards and a rushing touchdown while Pittman had 121 receiving yards and a receiving touchdown. Not a surprise they were the players to bring Indianapolis back into the game. 

To make this development better, Pittman and Taylor were the players with the most targets in the passing game. Someone on this offense has to step up besides Taylor and Pittman, or the Colts' problems from last year will reappear. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

Per CBS:

Indianapolis Colts

Offense doesn't look much different from last season: The Colts have a new quarterback in Matt Ryan, but that's the only significant change in an offense that was inconsistent throughout last year (though Carson Wentz was the problem). 

This isn't Ryan's fault. Indianapolis has just two playmakers on offense: Jonathan Taylor and Michael Pittman. Taylor finished with 161 yards and a rushing touchdown while Pittman had 121 receiving yards and a receiving touchdown. Not a surprise they were the players to bring Indianapolis back into the game. 

To make this development better, Pittman and Taylor were the players with the most targets in the passing game. Someone on this offense has to step up besides Taylor and Pittman, or the Colts' problems from last year will reappear. 

Me you and 90 percent of Colts fans could tell you this team only has 2 playmakers behind the most expensive offensive line ever. I would rather have average to bad OL play and lots of playmakers than to have what the Colts have. Seemed to work ok for the Chiefs and Bengals. 

Live and die with 1 playmaking WR in today's NFL makes zero sense to me. What do I know Ballard LOVES his WR room , is what I keep hearing. Is he trying to convince us or himself. There is a role for TY but not sure why they don't see it that way

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Me you and 90 percent of Colts fans could tell you this team only has 2 playmakers behind the most expensive offensive line ever. I would rather have average to bad OL play and lots of playmakers than to have what the Colts have. Seemed to work ok for the Chiefs and Bengals. 

Live and die with 1 playmaking WR in today's NFL makes zero sense to me. What do I know Ballard LOVES his WR room , is what I keep hearing. Is he trying to convince us or himself. There is a role for TY but not sure why they don't see it that way

I think Hines can be a playmaker

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Per CBS:

Indianapolis Colts

Does he just leave out the other 230 passing yards we had outside of Michael Pittman? lol 

I mean, yeah... when you drop 2 TDs and only get 3 points out of those two drives, your offensive output isn't going to be what you want it to be. Colts left 14 points on the field Sunday, if Ryan completes the pass the Taylor.... he scores or it's first and goal. There is another 3 to 7 points. 

The only issue with Sunday, outside of the kicking, was our BS execution offensively, pre snap penalties and two drops in the endzone. The one was a nice defensive play, for sure, but... Dulin knows he should catch that. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Does he just leave out the other 230 passing yards we had outside of Michael Pittman? lol 

I mean, yeah... when you drop 2 TDs and only get 3 points out of those two drives, your offensive output isn't going to be what you want it to be. Colts left 14 points on the field Sunday, if Ryan completes the pass the Taylor.... he scores or it's first and goal. There is another 3 to 7 points. 

The only issue with Sunday, outside of the kicking, was our BS execution offensively, pre snap penalties and two drops in the endzone. The one was a nice defensive play, for sure, but... Dulin knows he should catch that. 

I agree with what you are saying but I think you are forgetting that's the worst team in the league. Make those same mistakes against anyone but the bottom few and that's 21 point loss if not worse. The Colts got lucky to tie what most think is the worst team in the league. We are counting on Pierce to be bigger than what he is and for Dulin to make that big jump. If they do it will be fun to watch if not its a wasted year

The Chiefs receiving yards distribution looks identical to the Colts on Sunday lol. 

Hell... 184 of Kirk Cousins 270 pass yards went to Jefferson. Colts need Campbell to stay healthy and get into game shape, keep developing the rest. 

350 yards is nothing to sneeze at, especially with our running game. 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I agree with what you are saying but I think you are forgetting that's the worst team in the league. Make those same mistakes against anyone but the bottom few and that's 21 point loss if not worse. The Colts got lucky to tie what most think is the worst team in the league. We are counting on Pierce to be bigger than what he is and for Dulin to make that big jump. If they do it will be fun to watch if not its a wasted year

"the worst team in the league" possibly. But this is the NFL... and it was Week 1. And more importantly than anything else.... the Texans generally played mistake free football and the Colts did not. 

The difference between #1 and #32 in the NFL isn't half of what most people think it is. It's marginal, at best, in a one game lens.... not talking about over a the length of one season.  

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

"the worst team in the league" possibly. But this is the NFL... and it was Week 1. And more importantly than anything else.... the Texans generally played mistake free football and the Colts did not. 

The difference between #1 and #32 in the NFL isn't half of what most people think it is. It's marginal, at best, in a one game lens.... not talking about over a the length of one season.  

One thing for sure is they have put a lot of pressure on themselves to win in Jax, something not done since 2014. Silver lining i expect and tjink they crush the Jags and the Bills should flex all over the Titans. After 2 weeks should be ahead of the Titans right where we all thought to begin with

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

I think the gist is that we need all those other guys to step up and make those plays. Almost is just not good enough…thus our tie to likely a bottom feeder. Make the ones that should be made. We aren’t even asking to make something out of nothing…not the spectacular (although it wouldn’t suck if we had another guy that could) but we can’t rely on anyone yet to win and finish plays consistently. Pittman is great…Taylor is great…but better teams can and will key on them and game plan to limit them. If that and when that happens do we have the guys on the roster to step up and make a difference. It’s just week 1 but if we are to reach our potential we are going to need big plays to come from other areas. Even the Rams with Cooper Kupp will get run out of the building if they don’t find someone else to step up opposite him and help move chains and finish drives. Pittman and Taylor won’t be enough to win consistently. 

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think the gist is that we need all those other guys to step up and make those plays. Almost is just not good enough…thus our tie to likely a bottom feeder. Make the ones that should be made. We aren’t even asking to make something out of nothing…not the spectacular (although it wouldn’t suck if we had another guy that could) but we can’t rely on anyone yet to win and finish plays consistently. Pittman is great…Taylor is great…but better teams can and will key on them and game plan to limit them. If that and when that happens do we have the guys on the roster to step up and make a difference. It’s just week 1 but if we are to reach our potential we are going to need big plays to come from other areas. Even the Rams with Cooper Kupp will get run out of the building if they don’t find someone else to step up opposite him and help move chains and finish drives. Pittman and Taylor won’t be enough to win consistently. 

I just didn't know that had to be proven in game 1. There were flashes everywhere. 🤷‍♂️

But, yeah, guys have to step up. 

I'm hoping Hines may end up being that 3rd guy. He looked good and was highly involved in the passing game. Nearly had a TD on one reception. May have had a couple catches called back on penalty.

At least one of Pierce, Dulin, Campbell hopefully becomes a consistent stretch the D threat.

TE is unproven. Not confident there, but maybe someone emerges.

Strachan is a great prospect, but young and missed a lot of offseason/camp due to injury. Great size - bigger than Pittman I think.

Run game was cooking, but O-line struggled protecting Ryan enough to throw him off I thought. You expect it on left side with Pryor/Raimann rotation at T, but Smith had a really bad game by his standards.

Lot to see and agree time will tell. I think the frustration/concern even though just one game is if a loss/tie agains a division foe you should be able to handle comes back to haunt you in the division/playoff race later.

My single biggest concern though was just how lackluster Colts played for almost three quarters. I can live with some mistakes, lack of execution, etc. Lot of new moving parts that need time to develop. But lack of intensity/emotion is non-negotiable and we came out comatose in the 1st half. At this point that seems like more than an outlier under Reich.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, D-BONE said:

I'm hoping Hines may end up being that 3rd guy. He looked good and was highly involved in the passing game. Nearly had a TD on one reception. May have had a couple catches called back on penalty.

At least one of Pierce, Dulin, Campbell hopefully becomes a consistent stretch the D threat.

TE is unproven. Not confident there, but maybe someone emerges.

Strachan is a great prospect, but young and missed a lot of offseason/camp due to injury. Great size - bigger than Pittman I think.

Run game was cooking, but O-line struggled protecting Ryan enough to throw him off I thought. You expect it on left side with Pryor/Raimann rotation at T, but Smith had a really bad game by his standards.

Lot to see and agree time will tell. I think the frustration/concern even though just one game is if a loss/tie agains a division foe you should be able to handle comes back to haunt you in the division/playoff race later.

My single biggest concern though was just how lackluster Colts played for almost three quarters. I can live with some mistakes, lack of execution, etc. Lot of new moving parts that need time to develop. But lack of intensity/emotion is non-negotiable and we came out comatose in the 1st half. At this point that seems like more than an outlier under Reich.

Watching the film.... the screen to Taylor was a TD. They had 8 guys that had no clue where JT was on that play. JT didn't release very well and then Ryan made a complete blunder, just short armed the throw. Very frustrating, our lack of execution on Sunday. 

Jerry friggin Hughes