Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't get the hate for Purdue. They are an Indiana school and I still have plenty of friends that are Purdue fans. I don't want to listen to the UK people down here but I don't get rooting against a team unless they play us or hurt our chances. You guys spend too much time on forum boards if you are letting the crazies over at the Gold & Black board influence you. Lot's of good Indiana folk that root for Purdue out there and if we can't win it..I'm fine with them winning it. Bring a title home to the Hoosier state. Of course I would rather us win it but I have no problem seeing ND, Purdue, or Butler have success....as long as it isn't at our expense.

No one influences me anywhere, anytime. I know 4 Purdue fans. 3 of them are the same. Very quiet, socially inept....and if Purdue beats IU it's email and text time after not hearing from them for a year. Sorry. I don't hate Purdue that much but their fans? 

3 games I'll have an interest in Big 10 (besides ours). Nebraska at Iowa. Iowa desperately needs a win or 0-4 start and top 25 ranking will be gone without a return date expected. Michigan St at Ohio St. Just curious to see Sparty on the road and also Buckeyes playing a tough team. One other game. Wisconsin after being embarrassed last night at home how they respond at Penn St who is in dire shape for a win too.

16 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't get the hate for Purdue. They are an Indiana school and I still have plenty of friends that are Purdue fans. I don't want to listen to the UK people down here but I don't get rooting against a team unless they play us or hurt our chances. You guys spend too much time on forum boards if you are letting the crazies over at the Gold & Black board influence you. Lot's of good Indiana folk that root for Purdue out there and if we can't win it..I'm fine with them winning it. Bring a title home to the Hoosier state. Of course I would rather us win it but I have no problem seeing ND, Purdue, or Butler have success....as long as it isn't at our expense.

You serious Clark? Purdue is our heated rival and conference foe and would never want them to win a game and I would root for UK against them. When teams use to play against Russia in exhibition games I rooted for Russia to beat Purdue.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

You serious Clark? Purdue is our heated rival and conference foe and would never want them to win a game and I would root for UK against them. When teams use to play against Russia in exhibition games I rooted for Russia to beat Purdue.

UK over Purdue only if it is for a NCAA title.  Otherwise I would go with Boilers.  I will also root for Purdue if it helps us in the Big Ten standings.  I don't hate Purdue like I do UK.  I just want them to be inferior to us in every way possible.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

UK over Purdue only if it is for a NCAA title.  Otherwise I would go with Boilers.  I will also root for Purdue if it helps us in the Big Ten standings.  I don't hate Purdue like I do UK.  I just want them to be inferior to us in every way possible.

My exact feelings.   I grew up in southern Indiana.  I didn't know Purdue had a basketball team until my sophomore year at iu.  I'm not sure when, where, or why Purdue is given so much hated respect?  Is it just this board?  Is it everywhere north of downtown Indy?  If I asked all my old Hoosier faithful down south, they hate Kentucky at least 100 times more so than Purdue.  Purdue is slightly more hated than a Wisconsin or Illinois and only because they are in indiana.  I'm not sure I know of any or more IU fans that hold Purdue in such great respects than right here on this board.  I truly don't get it.  They are so inferior.   

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

My exact feelings.   I grew up in southern Indiana.  I didn't know Purdue had a basketball team until my sophomore year at iu.  I'm not sure when, where, or why Purdue is given so much hated respect?  Is it just this board?  Is it everywhere north of downtown Indy?  If I asked all my old Hoosier faithful down south, they hate Kentucky at least 100 times more so than Purdue.  Purdue is slightly more hated than a Wisconsin or Illinois and only because they are in indiana.  I'm not sure I know of any or more IU fans that hold Purdue in such great respects than right here on this board.  I truly don't get it.  They are so inferior.   

I never knew any UK fans and since they are not in our conference I never gave them a second thought.  It might be the age you are because people my age 48 and older grew up at a time where there was not a ESPN and most of the games you saw on TV was your local teams.  You mainly saw IU and PU and when I grew up if you were an IU fan then you hated PU.  Growing up one of my best friend and his family were PU people and I had no problem with them but when it came to sports we were on different sides.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I never knew any UK fans and since they are not in our conference I never gave them a second thought.  It might be the age you are because people my age 48 and older grew up at a time where there was not a ESPN and most of the games you saw on TV was your local teams.  You mainly saw IU and PU and when I grew up if you were an IU fan then you hated PU.  Growing up one of my best friend and his family were PU people and I had no problem with them but when it came to sports we were on different sides.

I'm 37.  IU vs UK was regional holiday.  

I'm thinking it's more regional.  

What gets me about UK is how many people who grew up in Southern Indiana that root for the Cats.  At least with Purdue it could be a situation where a family member actually went to school there.  I know a lot of Purdue fans that are fans for that reason.  I know of no one that went to UK, yet they have fans all over Southern Indiana that were born and raised here.  It's disgusting.

Another thing that irritates me about Purdue fans is there constant whining about the lack of respect they get in the Indy market.  They call the Indy Star the Hoosier Star because they feel that they don't get any coverage from them.  it is the same way with the local TV stations and to me you have to earn their respect and not just given to them.  Also they can't comprehend that there are way more IU fans around here so these outlets will have stories on what sells.

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agree. For me it's not age or region, it's the fact that I want IU to be a national program. I want IU back in the same breath as Duke, UNC, UK and KU. I compare IU to those schools, not Purdue. That's a big reason I'd love the IU-UK game to be back on the schedule. 

Also, Purdue doesn't move the needle nationally. Look at OSU-Michigan in football or Duke-UNC in basketball, those rivalries move the needle nationally, not just within the schools fan bases, and those schools benefit greatly from it. So in a weird way I'm almost rooting for Purdue to become more relevant so that the IU-Purdue rivalry could actually mean something to people outside of Indiana. 

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

What gets me about UK is how many people who grew up in Southern Indiana that root for the Cats.  At least with Purdue it could be a situation where a family member actually went to school there.  I know a lot of Purdue fans that are fans for that reason.  I know of no one that went to UK, yet they have fans all over Southern Indiana that were born and raised here.  It's disgusting.

i got bad news for you.  It ain't just a Southern Indiana thing.  It is quite prevalent here in the North as well and it makes me sick.  

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. For me it's not age or region, it's the fact that I want IU to be a national program. I want IU back in the same breath as Duke, UNC, UK and KU. I compare IU to those schools, not Purdue. That's a big reason I'd love the IU-UK game to be back on the schedule. 

Also, Purdue doesn't move the needle nationally. Look at OSU-Michigan in football or Duke-UNC in basketball, those rivalries move the needle nationally, not just within the schools fan bases, and those schools benefit greatly from it. So in a weird way I'm almost rooting for Purdue to become more relevant so that the IU-Purdue rivalry could actually mean something to people outside of Indiana. 

Purdue is our little brother and I want to keep them in their place.  I want to keep it over their heads that they have never won anything and want to keep it that way.

Archived