Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CAM is the coach that was hired to lead the program back to prominence and has done nothing to cause any doubt that he is the guy to do so. 

Rather than throw out a bunch of woulda, shoulda, couldas, why not get fully behind the coach we have until he gives us reason to question that he's going to be successful here?

6 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

CAM is the coach that was hired to lead the program back to prominence and has done nothing to cause any doubt that he is the guy to do so. 

Rather than throw out a bunch of woulda, shoulda, couldas, why not get fully behind the coach we have until he gives us reason to question that he's going to be successful here?

I agree.

My earlier comment was meant in jest.  I am fully behind CAM as our coach and have enjoyed this season asit has unfolded.  Its great to look forward to the next game.

2 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is a bit of a stretch.  We’re coming off a stretch of wins against the clear cut worst four teams in the conference, and the last two wins haven’t been very convincing.  A run to the conference finals would be a huge surprise.

Three double digits wins and a road win by two against a team MSU beat by three. 

If you're going to play the schedule game make an attempt at honesty. We had a brutal schedule earlier in conference play between opponents and minimal time between games. Don't ignore that then knock us for three convincing wins. 

If you think it would be a huge surprise to make the finals, let's hear the teams you are so confident are playing better than us? 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Three double digits wins and a road win by two against a team MSU beat by three. 

If you're going to play the schedule game make an attempt at honesty. We had a brutal schedule earlier in conference play between opponents and minimal time between games. Don't ignore that then knock us for three convincing wins. 

If you think it would be a huge surprise to make the finals, let's hear the teams you are so confident are playing better than us? 

LOL...it ain't Purdue, that's for sure...

I would say, being honest, Penn State is absolutely playing better.  Maybe the best in the B1G right now.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Transitive property doesn’t work like that in college basketball, you know that.  And we went 0-4 over that admittedly brutal schedule earlier in conference play, so not much to crow about there, especially when two of those losses were at home.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I’d say all of the teams ahead of us in the standings except for Nebraska are playing better than us right now.  You can’t make every excuse for IU and then hold road losses to PSU and UM (Ohio State), close losses to OSU, MSU on the road, and Wisconsin on the road (Purdue), and one road loss to Northwestern (UM) against the other teams in the conference.  Especially when all of those teams have either beat us head to head and/or have better wins than we do.  Only a pretty extreme IU homer would say we’re playing better than anyone else in the conference outside MSU.

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Transitive property doesn’t work like that in college basketball, you know that.  And we went 0-4 over that admittedly brutal schedule earlier in conference play, so not much to crow about there, especially when two of those losses were at home.  Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

I’d say all of the teams ahead of us in the standings except for Nebraska are playing better than us right now.  You can’t make every excuse for IU and then hold road losses to PSU and UM (Ohio State), close losses to OSU, MSU on the road, and Wisconsin on the road (Purdue), and one road loss to Northwestern (UM) against the other teams in the conference.  Especially when all of those teams have either beat us head to head and/or have better wins than we do.  Only a pretty extreme IU homer would say we’re playing better than anyone else in the conference outside MSU.

Playing better refers to right now, not 5 weeks ago. Do you think we are the same team now that we were in January? Unless the answer is yes then I'm not sure what your point is. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Playing better refers to right now, not 5 weeks ago. Do you think we are the same team now that we were in January? Unless the answer is yes then I'm not sure what your point is. 

I’m talking about right now.  4 straight wins over the absolute bottom of the barrel in the conference do not convince me that we’re playing better than anyone else in the conference outside MSU.  Michigan is on a 3 game win streak and just beat OSU today.  PSU is on a 4 game win streak that also included a win over OSU, and is currently playing Purdue tough on the road.  OSU dropped those 2 tough road games, but just beat Purdue on the road a week ago and stomped us 2 weeks ago (and yes, I know our team was very tired).  The wheels appear to be coming off for Purdue, but if they hold on against Penn State, that’s a better win than any we’ve had in the past 5 weeks.  And you can’t really crow about our close home losses to Purdue and MSU and then turn around and say Purdue sucks for losing close games to OSU at home and MSU on the road.

The fact of the matter is, we haven’t beaten anyone.  8 of our 9 conference wins have come against the bottom half of the conference, and the other was PSU at home.  If we beat Nebraska and OSU this week, I’ll be more inclined to agree with you.

You guys seem to be confusing 'playing better right now' and 'which team would win if they played us'

I think we're playing better basketball than a lot of teams in the conference, however several of those would still probably beat us in a head-to-head tomorrow. 

The Jazz have won 11 straight games and are playing better than Golden State. I'd still take GS if they played tomorrow.

Who cares what everyone else is doing. What matters is that CAM has his team playing better down the stretch. All I U can control is how they play. Win games and see what happens. 

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m talking about right now.  4 straight wins over the absolute bottom of the barrel in the conference do not convince me that we’re playing better than anyone else in the conference outside MSU.  Michigan is on a 3 game win streak and just beat OSU today.  PSU is on a 4 game win streak that also included a win over OSU, and is currently playing Purdue tough on the road.  OSU dropped those 2 tough road games, but just beat Purdue on the road a week ago and stomped us 2 weeks ago (and yes, I know our team was very tired).  The wheels appear to be coming off for Purdue, but if they hold on against Penn State, that’s a better win than any we’ve had in the past 5 weeks.  And you can’t really crow about our close home losses to Purdue and MSU and then turn around and say Purdue sucks for losing close games to OSU at home and MSU on the road.

The fact of the matter is, we haven’t beaten anyone.  8 of our 9 conference wins have come against the bottom half of the conference, and the other was PSU at home.  If we beat Nebraska and OSU this week, I’ll be more inclined to agree with you.

Couldn't disagree more. Are you suggesting Purdue with head coach of 10+ years is held to same standard as a coach at IU who is just keeping the pieces together? Your point of our close losses to MSU/Purdue and says Purdue sucks......apples and oranges brother. Comparing what Archie is doing in year 1 vs Purdue right now??? Pretty funny stuff Didn't know you as a pro Purdue guy.

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Couldn't disagree more. Are you suggesting Purdue with head coach of 10+ years is held to same standard as a coach at IU who is just keeping the pieces together? Your point of our close losses to MSU/Purdue and says Purdue sucks......apples and oranges brother. Comparing what Archie is doing in year 1 vs Purdue right now??? Pretty funny stuff Didn't know you as a pro Purdue guy.

I’m not talking about expectations or comparing how coaches are doing with different talent levels (and yes, it’s killing me to defend Purdue, lol).  Expectations are most certainly different for IU and Purdue, which is why we’re celebrating 4 wins over the dregs of the conference with a new coach and little talent, and the sky is falling for Purdue as they blow a conference title with a talented veteran team.  My point is that with the exception of Nebraska, I would not bet on IU to beat any of the teams currently ahead of us in the conference standings on a neutral court.  Or to put it another way, I’m pretty confident those teams would also be on a 4 game winning streak if they had played our schedule over those 4 games.  That’s why I don’t think IU is currently “playing better” than those teams.  Not a knock on Archie at all, I think he’s doing a pretty good job with what he has right now.

Edit - And I will be very happy to admit this was all wrong if we close the season out with wins over Nebraska and OSU.  Just gotta prove it.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Considering our starting 5 is 1 top 50 guy, 1 top 100 guy,  a JUCO player, one kid who left Vermont, and 1 potentially underrated 3 star....I'd say Archie has shown he can get his guys to buy in and execute. 

Hey fellas, let's put the brakes on! I'm all in for CAM. Droogh asked a question and I responded. Yes Marshall was one of the guys I thought could do a good job at IU. And Marshall also does a good job with his players considering he doesn't get 5* players either.....

Cheese & Crackers

Archived