Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think this whole “people don’t know where your school is” thing is overblown. I think Iu fans assume that’s the case and run with it. I don’t consider Butler more relevant than Purdue. A few good years doesn’t change that IMO. 

Purdue can win the tournament. Will it ever happen? Who knows. 

Do me a favor boiler and the next time you go on vacation ask some people where Purdue is and you might be surprised. 

As for Purdue and Butler. Me and you being fans of Indiana and Purdue might know that Purdue has had more consistent winning seasons than Butler in the past but because of their lack of post seasons success most people outside of the state and even more so nationally would tell you that Butler is more relevant than Purdue. They would also know where Butler is. Those two final four runs were incredible and caught the attention of the nation. Therefore outside the state of Indiana Butler is deffinitly more relevant. 

I love how every time boiler reads my post or responds to me the first thing he sees is "5 championships" haha

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Your last sentence makes me laugh every time I read it. Is it supposed to be a dig on Purdue? 

A. What constitutes many?

B. Even if they aren’t 100% sure where it’s located, they at least know about Purdue and it’s reputation.  

There will always be people who aren’t sure where colleges are when the name of the state isn’t in the school name. That’s obvious. Doesn’t mean it’s a negative against the school. 

Also, how do you define nationlly relevant? 

it was meant to be honest.  people in the South don't know where it is.  not a huge thing, but people know what state teams who are nationally relevant are in.  as much as i hate the SEC and ACC after living here for 20 years, i do believe that it is not uncommon for people here to now even know what state Purdue is in.  reputation?  no, i would say they do not consider Purdue as a team with a reputation for anything.  they are very SEC and ACC focused here.  not sure what they would think of Purdue's "reputation?"  i define nationally relevant as a team that people consider a threat in the tourney.  i give Purdue that they regularly finish well in the B1G.  just never nationally relevant.  they seemed to be this year, but that seems to be fading as they play better teams.  i'm sure they will win the 1st round.  after that???

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think this whole “people don’t know where your school is” thing is overblown. I think Iu fans assume that’s the case and run with it. I don’t consider Butler more relevant than Purdue. A few good years doesn’t change that IMO. 

Purdue can win the tournament. Will it ever happen? Who knows. 

across the nation, Butler is better known consistently than Purdue.  they have been more nationally relevant.

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

across the nation, Butler is better known consistently than Purdue.  they have been more nationally relevant.

Without question. I used to travel quite a bit between NYC/Boston, Miami, and the West Coast. If I was at a bar watching a game or whatever and I said was from Indy 2 words would come out most of the time. Colts or IU...unless I was in Miami and there it was the 500 because of many of the drivers live there....but even Butler would come up before anyone asked about Purdue. 

19 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

it was meant to be honest.  people in the South don't know where it is.  not a huge thing, but people know what state teams who are nationally relevant are in.  as much as i hate the SEC and ACC after living here for 20 years, i do believe that it is not uncommon for people here to now even know what state Purdue is in.  reputation?  no, i would say they do not consider Purdue as a team with a reputation for anything.  they are very SEC and ACC focused here.  not sure what they would think of Purdue's "reputation?"  i define nationally relevant as a team that people consider a threat in the tourney.  i give Purdue that they regularly finish well in the B1G.  just never nationally relevant.  they seemed to be this year, but that seems to be fading as they play better teams.  i'm sure they will win the 1st round.  after that???

So how many people have you asked where Purdue is located? I’m curious to hear more about your research. 

This whole location thing is ridiculous.  Who cares if people know where a school is or not?  Many people might not know Purdue is in Indiana due to basketball success, but a lot of people probably know it’s in Indiana due to it being one of the best engineering schools in the country.  To the Butler/Purdue relevance argument though, Butler is probably more nationally known due to the back to back national championship trips and Brad Stevens, even though he hasn’t been there for awhile.  It’s kind of the whole, what have you done for me lately.

3 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

This whole location thing is ridiculous.  Who cares if people know where a school is or not?  Many people might not know Purdue is in Indiana due to basketball success, but a lot of people probably know it’s in Indiana due to it being one of the best engineering schools in the country.  To the Butler/Purdue relevance argument though, Butler is probably more nationally known due to the back to back national championship trips and Brad Stevens, even though he hasn’t been there for awhile.  It’s kind of the whole, what have you done for me lately.

Agree re the location comment. Regency bias I guess. 

7 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

Key phrase being "what have you done"....kidding. Kind of. 

is there a way to put certain members on my ignore list? It's an IU board, why are we constantly subjected to Purdue talk/PU fans defending their team? What do you expect to hear from us, you're fighting a losing battle here. We aren't unbiased and we don't want to be convinced otherwise

Anyway, B1G is having such a down year. NW absolutely torching MSU

Archived