Around the B1G/NCAA

With an off day in the B1G, figured I would layout where KenPom projects the B1G to finish up. Disclaimer, these are cumulative projections, not game by game predictions. For instance, KenPom projects us to go 2-2, but in individual game predictions, he has us beating Illinois and losing the last three games. I also didn't calculate tie-breakers here, so this is may not be accurate for tournament seeding.

1. Ohio State (16-2)

Purdue (16-2)

3. Michigan State (15-3)

4. Nebraska (12-6)

5. Michigan (11-7)

6. Penn State (10-8)

7. Indiana (9-9)

8. Maryland (8-10)

Northwestern (8-10)

10. Wisconsin (5-13)

Minnesota (5-13)

12. Minnesota (4-14)

13. Illinois (3-15)

Rutgers (3-15)

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Penn St definitely looking like they have 3 losses coming maybe all 4. Up 17 now. Our loss vs Illinois continues to look bad. Oh well. Onward and upward for us. We have positive mojo going.... On the other hand...Illinois is neck and neck with Rutgers in football and now they can add basketball to how bad their athletic department is over there. Pretty impressive to be the worst at both football and basketball. Congrats Illini!

I can see it now - Tune in to the Big Ten Network on Sunday, February 25th to see the Illinois Fighting Illini at Rutgers Scarlett Knights as the teams battle it out in a winner take all game for the 13 Seed in the B1G Conference Tournament in Madison Square Garden!!! 

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

With an off day in the B1G, figured I would layout where KenPom projects the B1G to finish up. Disclaimer, these are cumulative projections, not game by game predictions. For instance, KenPom projects us to go 2-2, but in individual game predictions, he has us beating Illinois and losing the last three games. I also didn't calculate tie-breakers here, so this is may not be accurate for tournament seeding.

1. Ohio State (16-2)

Purdue (16-2)

3. Michigan State (15-3)

4. Nebraska (12-6)

5. Michigan (11-7)

6. Penn State (10-8)

7. Indiana (9-9)

8. Maryland (8-10)

Northwestern (8-10)

10. Wisconsin (5-13)

Minnesota (5-13)

12. Minnesota (4-14)

13. Illinois (3-15)

Rutgers (3-15)

I see 10-8 and #6. Then again, I'm an admitted homer.

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Carsen can get to the rim easily and if they close off the lanes, he has a solid midrange game and can hit pull-up jumpers. He’s such a tough cover. 

I appreciate your even-keeled interactions on this board but in this case I don’t think you’re actually interacting at all. What I am saying is that everything will be fundamentally different in the coverages that he sees. The driving lanes will be completely clogged and people are going to limit his touches all together....being the best player on a team with only okay talent will mean that the floor and defensive positioning he faces won’t look anything like it does this year...it’s going to have to happen in transition for him but depth will be an issue so running may not be a great option. 

All you can say is that you hope that he will be able to handle the differences with no drop off and even increased production but you are simply dismissing how fundamentally different it is going to be.

For instance this year you can’t zone Purdue at all, will that be true next year. This year there is no one on Purdue you can help off of, will that be true next year. This year it is a bad idea to press Purdue for long periods of time because they have ball handlers and can see over the top...none of those things will be as true next year...

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Never watched a Purdue game and thought "damn, CE is really good, he could win BPOY"... Haas I've been impressed with and VE. I like Thompson's toughness. Never thought Mathias was that good either. 

You clearly aren’t paying much attention to CE then. He has a good chance of being 1st team all-B1G as a sophomore. 

And Mathias? Lol. Guy is an all-league defender who is a lethal shooter and great passer. Would love to hear why you don’t think he’s that good. 

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Can you believe it ?? The mighty [???] pee yew SMELLERMAKERS have lost TWO GAMES IN A ROW for the SECOND TIME THIS SEASON !! LMAO LMAO LMAO !! Villanova has not lost back to back games since 2013 !! pee yew sucks .VBG VBG & LMAO !!

And they’re still ranked 6th after those back to back losses. 

I went back and looked at Carson Edwards' stat line against IU this year...scored 10 points on 3-10 shooting, zero assists and one turnover.  I'm sure there are all sorts of justifications for such a pedestrian performance, but I wanted to see what Edwards did against a team that is taught defense.  Predictably, he struggled.  He has skills and speed, but he's 6-1 and If a team keys on him as they undoubtedly will next year, he may get his, but he'll likely take a lot of shots in the process.  I don't mind Carson Edwards getting 20 points on 25 shots.

4 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I went back and looked at Carson Edwards' stat line against IU this year...scored 10 points on 3-10 shooting, zero assists and one turnover.  I'm sure there are all sorts of justifications for such a pedestrian performance, but I wanted to see what Edwards did against a team that is taught defense.  Predictably, he struggled.  He has skills and speed, but he's 6-1 and If a team keys on him as they undoubtedly will next year, he may get his, but he'll likely take a lot of shots in the process.  I don't mind Carson Edwards getting 20 points on 25 shots.

20 points on 25 shots is called a “Haas.”

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Just one of those night when guys that usually hit shots didn't :D

37 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

You clearly aren’t paying much attention to CE then. He has a good chance of being 1st team all-B1G as a sophomore. 

And Mathias? Lol. Guy is an all-league defender who is a lethal shooter and great passer. Would love to hear why you don’t think he’s that good. 

I think he benefits an incredible amount from Haas, Thompson, and VE. I think he's overrated as a defender. It's not I think your whole team is trash.. just don't view those two as all that good. 

Just now, FKIM01 said:

Well of course...that's the only possible explanation!

if the guys that usually hit shots hit shots every game they would be undefeated as well as many other teams. I love the argument that if guys miss shots its on them but never the defense gets credit but yet Purdue has such a great defense because they make guys miss a lot of shots.:panic:

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

How about what he did against a better OSU defense (12th in KenPom)? 

28 points on 8-13 shooting (4-7 from 3), 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. 

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How about what he did against a better OSU defense (12th in KenPom)? 

28 points on 8-13 shooting (4-7 from 3), 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. 

Not better in the last 10 games!

(1) They may have had an off day or

(2) They may have decided to focus on some or all of the four senior starters (who won't be there next year!)

3 hours ago, hoosiertildeath said:

Can you believe it ?? The mighty [???] pee yew SMELLERMAKERS have lost TWO GAMES IN A ROW for the SECOND TIME THIS SEASON !! LMAO LMAO LMAO !! Villanova has not lost back to back games since 2013 !! pee yew sucks .VBG VBG & LMAO !!

And HTD, can you believe the cheater pUKe kittycats have lost 3 games in arrow for the first time under Cal??? Also, when was the last time that BOTH pUKe and the L'ville Cardinals were not in the Top 25?

Anyone see the definition of what a quadrant 1 win is? As defined by tourney folks a win vs a top 30 team at home is the same as a win on the road vs a top 75 team. So a home win vs Virginia is the same as that same team going on the road and winning at say Rider who is #67.

RPI is flawed to begin with. Using that as a barometer for defining quadrant wins??

Archived