Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With all the blather and bluster about Painter’s coaching, Archie put together a roadmap on how to beat Purdue.  MSU followed Archie’s game plan to a tee and Painter fell right into it.  Archie is proving himself as a legit tactician.  His staff is obviously a factor there as well.  

Media types that talk up Painters coaching ability are the same ones that talked up Creans. That says a lot. 

51 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

With all the blather and bluster about Painter’s coaching, Archie put together a roadmap on how to beat Purdue.  MSU followed Archie’s game plan to a tee and Painter fell right into it.  Archie is proving himself as a legit tactician.  His staff is obviously a factor there as well.  

Care to go more in depth on that? So Painter shouldn’t have kept going to Haas even though he was one-on-one? What exactly did Painter do wrong?

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Did some research on my own. Purdue has beat one top 25 team all year(Michigan) which has never been inside the top 20 in rankings. Besides an Arizona team without arguably their best guard playing in 5 star Rawls Alkins... not real impressive. 

Louisville was ranked when they played. I love how people discount the Arizona win. The committee doesn’t say, hey that win isn’t a big deal because Arizona was without one of their best players/wasn’t playing well. It still counts as a good win. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Louisville was ranked when they played. I love how people discount the Arizona win. The committee doesn’t say, hey that win isn’t a big deal because Arizona was without one of their best players/wasn’t playing well. It still counts as a good win. 

The committee doesn’t. But fans are certainly able to look at it and surmise what they think it means. 

10 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Did some research on my own. Purdue has beat one top 25 team all year(Michigan) which has never been inside the top 20 in rankings. Besides an Arizona team without arguably their best guard playing in 5 star Rawls Alkins... not real impressive. 

Arizona was a trainwreck when Purdue played them. The only reason that game even took place was because they lost to two inferior opponents on consecutive days. I said that later in the year Purdue fans would be beating their chests about winning that game and sure enough, they are.

It's time to call a spade a spade...the Pee Yew Smellermakers suck!

On a more serious note, beating Arizona when Purdue beat them is not at all impressive.  They were literally playing for last place in a tournament they were expected to meet in the championship, for Christ's sake.  Both teams were playing like dogsh*t.  I wouldn't be all that proud of beating a team for 7th place in an 8-team tournament when you were supposed to contend for the title.  At the time Purdue beat AZ, I wasn't certain that AZ wouldn't completely implode given the cloud of suspicion the program was under. I'd guarantee that affected how they were playing at the time.  I'm sorry...AZ in the battle was not an impressive win.  It simply proved who sucked less at the time.

I'm not seeing a win that I wouldn't expect in the Smellermakers' season.  I'd expect more with four senior starters plus Carson Edwards.

34 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly. If our shooters hit like they normally do, we win. Didn’t happen today. 

You clearly feel like Purdue is in a shooting slump, right?  Do you think that it has more to do with Purdue being exposed from a coaching/gameplan standpoint or that the players just aren't that good? 

14 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You clearly feel like Purdue is in a shooting slump, right?  Do you think that it has more to do with Purdue being exposed from a coaching/gameplan standpoint or that the players just aren't that good? 

I think it’s a slump. I think Vince, Dakota, and PJ are all good players who are slumping. Don’t think it’s them being exposed. Mathias and Vince will be all-conference guys so clearly they’re talented and PJ is a really good shooter. How is it being exposed when they’re missing open shots?

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Their not getting as good of looks. Archie Miller pointed out this teams weakness to everyone. Make Issac's Hass beat you. Which he won't. So play behind him, one on one in post, if you double they will kill you that's what they want. Then chase the rest off three point line. Mathies, cline, PJ, are not very athletic. Vince Edwards is a decent athlete but nothing special. make em drive and score in the lane. The only guy they have that is truly scary is carson Edwards. Best player on the team. 

done talking about those wannabe's up North. How bout Archie Miller. Wow is he getting this team to play. Need to wear shades, future is to bright! 

1 minute ago, 5 championships said:

Their not getting as good of looks. Archie Miller pointed out this teams weakness to everyone. Make Issac's Hass beat you. Which he won't. So play behind him, one on one in post, if you double they will kill you that's what they want. Then chase the rest off three point line. Mathies, cline, PJ, are not very athletic. Vince Edwards is a decent athlete but nothing special. make em drive and score in the lane. The only guy they have that is truly scary is carson Edwards. Best player on the team. 

done talking about those wannabe's up North. How bout Archie Miller. Wow is he getting this team to play. Need to wear shades, future is to bright! 

They’re getting plenty of open looks. Just haven’t been hitting them. Haas has been fantastic. Just need some of the other guys to step up. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

They’re getting plenty of open looks. Just haven’t been hitting them. Haas has been fantastic. Just need some of the other guys to step up. 

I just think the shooting slumps seem to happen when you actually play somebody that is actually a quality team. What you think about this IU team lately and the future of IU basketball? 

Just now, 5 championships said:

I just think the shooting slumps seem to happen when you actually play somebody that is actually a quality team. What you think about this IU team lately and the future of IU basketball? 

I was at the OSU game and Purdue missed plenty of looks (both from 3 and from close) that they normally hit. Sure OSU is a good team and plays good defense but Purdue still missed plenty of open shots. 

I think Archie has them playing better and they’ve looked solid recently. I think they’ll be a tough team/program moving forward. 

15 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Three of Purdue's starters played 34+ minutes today. For all the talk about what a deep team this was earlier in the year, they sure don't seem to have much of a bench now.

They are in for a world of hurt next year. No experience (or real talent outside of Edwards) plus Painters coaching...yikes. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

They are in for a world of hurt next year. No experience (or real talent outside of Edwards) plus Painters coaching...yikes. 

Definitely young next year and Carson will get the attention on defense.  If Harms and Eastern are the bulk of the remaining experience, it's going to be a frustrating year for Carson and Smellermaker fans.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I was at the OSU game and Purdue missed plenty of looks (both from 3 and from close) that they normally hit. Sure OSU is a good team and plays good defense but Purdue still missed plenty of open shots. 

I think Archie has them playing better and they’ve looked solid recently. I think they’ll be a tough team/program moving forward. 

I'll have to disagree with you on that one boiler. Appreciate you though, for the most part you're not obnoxious like many other Purdue fans who think somehow they are legitimate to IU. If Purdue makes it far I will be happy for ya to experience it for once. 

Archived