Around the B1G/NCAA

1 hour ago, rico said:

Can understand your take, and if I was in your shoes I would probably have the same view.  But this what I see, right here right now, a Boiler team that snuck by IU.  A Boiler team that snuck by Rutgers.  And a Boiler team that got beat by tOSU.  As an avid basketball fan, alarm bells are going off with Purdue.  

I’m not too worried. Vince hasn’t been himself lately (nasty bout with the flu) and he was on fire before he came down with that. I think we’ll be okay. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

That's what you said when IU used the same game plan. Maybe it's not just an off night. 

I felt like our defense was much better last night than it was against IU. Last night there were a lot of things that I wouldn’t chalk up as “normal.” 5 turnovers by Dakota (mostly unforced), PJ going 0-5 from 3 when he’s a 49% 3-point shooter and those shots last night were all open, Haas missing a dunk, OSU’s two poor 3-point shooters (22 and 25%) combining to go 6-9 from 3 including a lucky banked 3. I don’t think that’s a result of OSU’s gameplan by any stretch. We completely neutralized Kaleb Wesson and his mediocre brother somehow put up 13. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I felt like our defense was much better last night than it was against IU. Last night there were a lot of things that I wouldn’t chalk up as “normal.” 5 turnovers by Dakota (mostly unforced), PJ going 0-5 from 3 when he’s a 49% 3-point shooter and those shots last night were all open, Haas missing a dunk, OSU’s two poor 3-point shooters (22 and 25%) combining to go 6-9 from 3 including a lucky banked 3. I don’t think that’s a result of OSU’s gameplan by any stretch. We completely neutralized Kaleb Wesson and his mediocre brother somehow put up 13. 

I didn't see the game, so don't pretend to know what happened, but just going off the narrative that IU figured out the gameplan to beat Purdue (don't double-team Hass and defend the 3-pt line), maybe guys like PJ are not shooting well from 3 because they're now taking more contested 3's as opposed to open 3's off a double-team. It might not be just cold shooting nights. Just a theory. Something to keep an eye on when other teams use that strategy.  

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I didn't see the game, so don't pretend to know what happened, but just going off the narrative that IU figured out the gameplan to beat Purdue (don't double-team Hass and defend the 3-pt line), maybe guys like PJ are not shooting well from 3 because they're now taking more contested 3's as opposed to open 3's off a double-team. It might not be just cold shooting nights. Just a theory. Something to keep an eye on when other teams use that strategy.  

They started to double Haas especially more in the second half because PJ and others couldn’t hit 3’s they normally hit. 

2 hours ago, rico said:

Can understand your take, and if I was in your shoes I would probably have the same view.  But this what I see, right here right now, a Boiler team that snuck by IU.  A Boiler team that snuck by Rutgers.  And a Boiler team that got beat by tOSU.  As an avid basketball fan, alarm bells are going off with Purdue.  

Kind of like our 2013 team who started out well and finished slowly at the end of the conference season.

58 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

They started to double Haas especially more in the second half because PJ and others couldn’t hit 3’s they normally hit. 

...and that was a nice adjustment. The only player OSU really didn't have control of was Carson.  Next year, he's gonna get a LOT of defensive attention.

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I didn't really watch last night, but you also said PU missed open threes against IU so I struggle to trust your definition of open. Look man, PU is really good this year but to think they're so good other teams can only hope they miss shots is silly. 

17 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

This just in.  Has not happened yet.  However, from one of my Fort Collins, Colorado sources.  Colorado State University is preparing to fire Larry Eustachy.  Stay tuned. 

Read on twitter they are meeting tomorrow to discuss financial settlements because CSU doesn't want public/messy break up. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Read on twitter they are meeting tomorrow to discuss financial settlements because CSU doesn't want public/messy break up. 

Thanks for the report.  As I don't normally check twitter accounts.  Good to know my sources were on top of this.

A really bad hire, in the first place.  CSU investigated Larry for player abuse a couple of years back... and gave him a second chance.  Kind of reminds me of the IU hire of Kelvin Sampson in that respect.

Before this broke.... there was a story in today's Denver Post about how when Larry first came to CSU, he held open practices.  However, very quickly closed his practices.  Now, I suspect why. 

Just now, milehiiu said:

Thanks for the report.  As I don't normally check twitter accounts.  Good to know my sources were on top of this.

A really bad hire, in the first place.  CSU investigated Larry for player abuse a couple of years back... and gave him a second chance.  Kind of reminds me of the IU hire of Kelvin Sampson in that respect.

Before this broke.... there was a story in today's Denver Post about how when Larry first came to CSU, he held open practices.  However, very quickly closed his practices.  Now, I suspect why. 

What type of abuse allegations are being made? Verbal or physical? Both?

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Not sure about this allegation.  However, the first was verbal and emotional abuse.

There is a line for me being a coach.. I do think our society is incredibly soft when it comes to these types of things. If alcohol was involved, that's a problem... but if he didn't touch them and alcohol wasn't involved... I have no problem with it. 

I have heard Knights tirades before.. the verbal stuff, deal with it. Once he choked Reed, that's when it's a major problem. 

Jmo

Please understand the difference in me not having a problem with it and me thinking it's a good thing. I don't think it's a good thing, just don't have a problem with it. Part of it is my upbringing. 

53 minutes ago, btownqb said:

There is a line for me being a coach.. I do think our society is incredibly soft when it comes to these types of things. If alcohol was involved, that's a problem... but if he didn't touch them and alcohol wasn't involved... I have no problem with it. 

I have heard Knights tirades before.. the verbal stuff, deal with it. Once he choked Reed, that's when it's a major problem. 

Jmo

Please understand the difference in me not having a problem with it and me thinking it's a good thing. I don't think it's a good thing, just don't have a problem with it. Part of it is my upbringing. 

Appreciate your thoughts. Many of the same thoughts ran through my mind.  However, with out being there, neither you, nor me know how severe the abuse was.  Trying to keep an open mind. But, seems that Colorado State has made a decision as to the severity.... based on not one, but two investigations.  Hearing we should know either by Friday at the earliest, or Saturday at the latest. 

49 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Appreciate your thoughts. Many of the same thoughts ran through my mind.  However, with out being there, neither you, nor me know how severe the abuse was.  Trying to keep an open mind. But, seems that Colorado State has made a decision as to the severity.... based on not one, but two investigations.  Hearing we should know either by Friday at the earliest, or Saturday at the latest. 

And I'd be almost certain he was on some sort of a no non sense policy and toed the line one too many times. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Jmo

I personally can put up with quite a bit of personal abuse, too, because of my upbringing. I'm curious if you think that just because you and many others can and have put up with it means it is acceptable (not good, as you alreadu said) behavior? Also curious, don't think emotional and verbal abuse are real?

23 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

As a matter of fact.  Colorado State just placed Eustachy under a zero tolerance policy.  Sound familiar ?

Players boycotted practice as word is spreading Larry is going to be fired. History is filled with how not to lead. Amazes me that some of these AD's/Administrator types at Universities still don't have a clue how to properly handle a situation from all sides. 

Archived