Around the B1G/NCAA

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm so confused as to why their resume is good other than they only have 4 losses.  but their wins are not impressive and their losses are bad.

How are their losses bad? They’ve lost to OSU, MSU, Tennessee, and the worst was WKU who isn’t even a bad team. They have zero bad losses. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

We definitely choked against OSU because we had a big lead late at home and blew it but today? In no way, shape, or form was that a choke. 

I get it, you gotta rationalize losing the last big game on your schedule with a number 1 seed on the line somehow.  

33 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

like at large NCAA bid?  seriously?  i'd agree if that were the case.  just can't see how that is realistic.

Yes. If we get to 18-12 and 11-7 in the conference our computer numbers should be top 50ish heading into BTT. We need to probably get a couple more wins against top 50 teams there, but it could happen. 

There's a damn good chance I pick PU to lose their second game in the tourney. And there's a damn good chance I'll be right.

Just to compare, I went back and looked at our last perennial top 5 team...they were 7-2 against ranked teams, with all those wins against top 15 squads. The B1G is just so much weaker right now so PU has less chances to impress, but man do they look beatable. 

16 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

There's a damn good chance I pick PU to lose their second game in the tourney. And there's a damn good chance I'll be right.

Just to compare, I went back and looked at our last perennial top 5 team...they were 7-2 against ranked teams, with all those wins against top 15 squads. The B1G is just so much weaker right now so PU has less chances to impress, but man do they look beatable. 

There are a lot of beatable teams around the league this year. The field will be an open one. No dominant teams. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Well either but if you must pick one, UVA. 

Virginia had one year they made it to the elite 8 but other than that, they’ve had early tournaments exits. They’ve had good regular seasons but haven’t had great tournament success. 

Edit: and they just lost at home to an unranked team. Lol

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Virginia had one year they made it to the elite 8 but other than that, they’ve had early tournaments exits. They’ve had good regular seasons but haven’t had great tournament success. 

Edit: and they just lost at home to an unranked team. Lol

So I'll tackle the first part first. What the hell does that have to do with this year? Are we not talking about who is dominant this year. 

Second part now. So what? Their second loss came in OT to their rival in mid-February by one point. What recent dominant team has such a better case for being dominant besides UK in 2012?

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

So I'll tackle the first part first. What the hell does that have to do with this year? Are we not talking about who is dominant this year. 

Second part now. So what? Their second loss came in OT to their rival in mid-February by one point. What recent dominant team has such a better case for being dominant besides UK in 2012?

My entire point was that every team (even the best) is beatable. Heck the top 3 teams all lost this week. The field will be wide open in the tournament. Their loss today was worse than either of Purdue’s this week. 

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

How are their losses bad? They’ve lost to OSU, MSU, Tennessee, and the worst was WKU who isn’t even a bad team. They have zero bad losses. 

sorry.  as much as i love the Smellermakers, gotta count Western KY as a bad loss.  i guess TN isn't looking that bad, but when the #3 team has a loss to #15 it's not exactly good.  they were barely in the top 25 when it actually occurred if i remember right. 

I'll say it.  College basketball is garbage this year.  Scandals, horrible refereeing, thin on talent, horrible refereeing (just watched a video of a Louisiana tech player being ejected for dunking and glancing at his opponent, stoppage of time to review everything in the last 2 mins, teams like Purdue, Xavier, Texas tech, Auburn, Cincinnati in the top ten.  This season is garbage.  Did I mention horrible refereeing?  (TV Ted)

Will there be an NCAA basketball renaissance or is this the new future?

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

My entire point was that every team (even the best) is beatable. Heck the top 3 teams all lost this week. The field will be wide open in the tournament. Their loss today was worse than either of Purdue’s this week. 

I don't think any of the three are bad losses, but UVA has a much better resume than PU. Of course any team can win it, but I wouldn't call it wide open. Nova and UVA have been the two best teams all year and have the two best resumes.

Of course any team can lose, that's always the case. What year are you pointing to that is so different?

6 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sorry.  as much as i love the Smellermakers, gotta count Western KY as a bad loss.  i guess TN isn't looking that bad, but when the #3 team has a loss to #15 it's not exactly good.  they were barely in the top 25 when it actually occurred if i remember right. 

With Virginia losing to Virginia Tech tonight. every team in the country has lost to a team outside the Top 15

Archived