Eastern Michigan Game Thread

First of all, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

Thoughts on our next opponent? -- as the game is quickly approaching --  Sounds like EMU could be a test. With Archie we are no longer playing mid- to low majors ranked in the 300s. Heard they play 2-3 zone and are good at it. Is their HC from the the Boeheim coaching tree?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think Archie had much to do with this year's schedule.  

I would mostly agree. With that said -- Someone correct me if I am wrong -- But I do think he scheduled some of these mid major teams. I think he scheduled opponents like ISU and those involved in the "Hoosier tip-off" which includes EMU. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I don't think Archie had much to do with this year's schedule.  

Yeah like nothing to do with it, the schedules are set over 1 year in advance. You may be able to pick some fillers but for the most part the schedule is done and Archie won’t have influence on it until next year, and that’s a maybe because a lot of those games have been scheduled as well.

It will be refreshing to see a logical way at attacking a zone and seeing how to break it down rather than spray and pray! I hope to see a fundamental game where we work back door cuts behind the zone and get it into the middle to make them collapse to get an open shot or get their bigs in foul trouble. Also passing to make the zone shift and find the holes. It would be awesome to see a team that plays exclusively zone get dismantled and have to play man to man and see them get dismantled even more. It will be a good test and a good game. I am excited to see it. 

1 minute ago, ButlerHoosier said:

It will be refreshing to see a logical way at attacking a zone and seeing how to break it down rather than spray and pray! I hope to see a fundamental game where we work back door cuts behind the zone and get it into the middle to make them collapse to get an open shot or get their bigs in foul trouble. Also passing to make the zone shift and find the holes. It would be awesome to see a team that plays exclusively zone get dismantled and have to play man to man and see them get dismantled even more. It will be a good test and a good game. I am excited to see it. 

We’ve already played against a good deal of zone and that’s what has happened. Archie puts either Morgan or Smith at the high post and we look to get the ball to the middle and high/low with Davis or reverse the ball quickly. You can already see the difference Archie makes. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

We’ve already played against a good deal of zone and that’s what has happened. Archie puts either Morgan or Smith at the high post and we look to get the ball to the middle and high/low with Davis or reverse the ball quickly. You can already see the difference Archie makes. 

This is true. Didn't Arkansas St. play zone? I believe we had our best points per possession game against them.

This is partly schedule driven, but EMU has some strong numbers.

85.3 PPG on 50% shooting. 64.5 points allowed, a +21. 40.0 rebounds per game.12 steals per game, and 16.5 assists per game.

Better than IU across the board. IU's:

76 PPG on 49.6 FGs. 74.8 PA. 34.8 RPG. 5.4 SPG. 15.0 APG.

That 12 steals per game stat could be key here. We need to take care of the ball, limit points off TO's. 

Again, partly schedule driven -- their games against Howard and Ark St look very similar to ours, but should be a test game. The Seton Hall game should help us, they haven't been tested like that, good game to see how, early, our guys have learned from a challenge in order to apply it going forward.

Some related player (early) season stats that should improve

3-point FG's -- Rob shooting only 33%, that's way below his average. Note Green is shooting 43%. Newkirk 25% and CuJo 23.5.

TO's -- Green 2.6 per game, Rob 2.4. Last game showed improvement. Both need to continue to improve taking care of the ball.

One more thing on  EM's zone -- very similar to Syracuse, note that EM asst coach Murphy is a former Cuse asst.

And this is a big team, very good game to see how Morgan and Davis do battling for position in the zone (2-3) against strong bigs.

EM's starting forwards/wing:

Thompson, 6'10, averaging 16 and 13. He's their beast.

Minnie, 6'9, averaging 18 PPG

Bond, 6'7, averaging 10 PPG. 

Hopefully they don't come out with the lackadaisical attitude and allow Eastern to hit some some shots and gain some confidence. Indiana is not talented enough or has the mental toughness to get behind and fight their way back. Good luck to them and please pay like to you want to be playing for Indiana. 

Archived