Coronavirus

Reacher

8 hours ago, Reacher said:

Not sure how that helps. I'm tired of people (not necessarily you) attacking the source and ignoring the content. Assume it was your favorite. Most reputable source. Can you see this happening? 

So, I read in a comments thread on FB that some dude said the reason TJD isn’t good at shooting free throws is because his high school coach made him practice shooting FTs right handed. 

Let’s disregard whether or not this random person is reputable, wouldn’t that be a good explanation to why TJD struggles at the line? IF true that could explain a lot. 

Of course I made that up, but that’s why you can’t play that game and why @jv1972iu asked for the origin of this quote.

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2020 at 8:29 AM, 5fouls said:

Look, I get it. people should not have travelled at Thanksgiving.  That said, stating that 'you should assume you are infected' if you did travel is a fear mongering statement.   Something like 46 states were already in red status before Thanksgiving.  So, how much impact did travelling for the holidays really have? 

If I am wearing a mask and washing my hands properly, am I more likely to catch the virus filling up at a gas station in Mississippi on my way to visit Aunt Molly than I am at the grocery in my hometown?  If I an wearing a mask and washing my hands properly, am I more likely to catch the virus visiting asymptomatic relatives than I am working next to asymptomatic co-workers at the office? 

Truthfully, at this point, what does TRAVELLING have to do with the spreading virus when it is already prevalent in virtually every county in the country?  It's not like the guy travelling from New York to L.A. is introducing this thing to California.  That bridge was crossed a long time ago.  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/30/health/us-coronavirus-monday/index.html

Fouls, it’s the flights, with recirculated air, not driving that is the clearly legitimate concern, and the large family gatherings, also clearly legitimate as a demonstrated cause of the continued spread of the virus. People really need to stop the push back as we continue to hit record cases, hospitalizations and deaths and it’s only going to get worse in the next month or so before the vaccines get into public use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2020 at 1:19 PM, Reacher said:

I came across this and thought it seems believable. The question is how widespread of an issue is this?  I know some will summarily dismiss it. But I am sure it is happening at more than just the one hospital below.

Explains higher hospital capacities and drives more lockdowns. Worth digging into further.

"From what I'm hearing from the front line, a not insignificant number of admissions are of folks who would not have been admitted in March when there was fear of both the unknown and systemic failure and, not coincidently, when COVID diagnoses didn't pay as much.

Today, the admission criteria for COVID is so much more flexible than for standard diagnoses like CHF, and pays so much better than other diagnoses that our 'healthcare' system is rapidly becoming a 'COVID care' system.

The surge in hospitalizations and subsequent COVID-identified deaths may be driven, in part, to health systems adapting to new COVID revenue streams.

This would seemingly be good news, after all if it's the hospital administrator's desire to fill empty beds that's driving admissions rather than infection rates, then systemic failure can be averted through moderating those admission rates based on system capacity.

If your hospital fills up, just start sending the marginal cases home--inpatient/outpatient; the outcome for the patient will be pretty much the same and you've made as much money as your capacity will allow."

So as cases and deaths rage across the country, you continue to bring things here that “seems believable.” As we continue to screw the pooch, you bring things here that say masks are the problem. But now it’s not masks, maybe it’s hospitals? Do you have any idea how nurses, staff, and doctors are trying to hold on during this? 

What’s next an article from OAN that exposes those crafty nurses trying to cheat the system, eating bonbons in the break room as they falsify patient records? 

I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt on this thread, but you just keep bringing trash and more trash. 

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

So as cases and deaths rage across the country, you continue to bring things here that “seems believable.” As we continue to screw the pooch, you bring things here that say masks are the problem. But now it’s not masks, maybe it’s hospitals? Do you have any idea how nurses, staff, and doctors are trying to hold on during this? 

What’s next an article from OAN that exposes those crafty nurses trying to cheat the system, eating bonbons in the break room as they falsify patient records? 

I really try to give people the benefit of the doubt on this thread, but you just keep bringing trash and more trash. 

Serious question since you were a navy corpsman and I've also personally known a few.

We are not at war actively. So where in the hell are the field hospitals and military medical staff that were set up and available back in March. Why not use available resources?  The ones I know would go where ordered.

If its about hospitalizations and death we can mitigate that and not destroy the livelihoods of 20+ million people right?  

Hell pay me and I will do what I am capable of. 

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This thing is still being politicized by BOTH sides.  And, neither appears to be willing to give an inch.  The reality is there is truth and lies from both ends.  We need to accept that or we will never make the progress that needs to be made.

Agreed, and spot on. 

And there alot of people in positions of power that I never knew existed that need to be dealt with harshly for the terrible and criminal decisions they have made. I wont say how I would do it publicly but you could probably guess. 

And one of those douches is going to get an Emmy?  Our country is sick. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Serious question since you were a navy corpsman and I've also personally known a few.

We are not at war actively. So where in the hell are the field hospitals and military medical staff that were set up and available back in March. Why not use available resources?  The ones I know would go where ordered.

If its about hospitalizations and death we can mitigate that and not destroy the livelihoods of 20+ million people right?  

Hell pay me and I will do what I am capable of. 

I’ve wondered the same thing and that might be what it comes to this winter if it gets bad enough. I know the hospital ship was kind of joke at first here, since they weren’t letting COIVD cases on and there was so much confusion. 

Also I’m not in favor of destroying 20+ Million people’s livelihoods either. If people would just value protecting each other over personal freedom for a damn month or so, we could get a better handle on this. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I’ve wondered the same thing and that might be what it comes to this winter if it gets bad enough. I know the hospital ship was kind of joke at first here, since they weren’t letting COIVD cases on and there was so much confusion. 

Also I’m not in favor of destroying 20+ Million people’s livelihoods either. If people would just value protecting each other over personal freedom for a damn month or so, we could get a better handle on this. 

I've been hearing from hospital systems (directors and doctors being interviewed) that, yes, they can build field hospitals but the more challenging issue is staffing them. Obviously doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists  require training, so it's not like you can pick up any unemployed person off the street. I'm not sure how many military medical staff is available but I'm guessing not enough if this continues to be a nationwide problem. 

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

I've been hearing from hospital systems (directors and doctors being interviewed) that, yes, they can build field hospitals but the more challenging issue is staffing them. Obviously doctors, nurses, respiratory therapists  require training, so it's not like you can pick up any unemployed person off the street. I'm not sure how many military medical staff is available but I'm guessing not enough if this continues to be a nationwide problem. 

Staffing indeed is going to be a problem in many areas. 

Not sure how it is for other places people live, but places around here are really going all out on the outdoor dining and it seems like people are taking them up on it. We’ve been doing a fair amount of take out and visiting holiday pop up shops. Seems like most places are setting up little stores in the front and selling goods, bottles of wine, etc. Our favorite bookstore is back open to the public (only 5 people in at a time, but it’s still nice to browse). 

On Small Business Saturday, we visited and spent money at like five different places. We and most people I know are really trying to pump money into the local economy, but am not sure what it’s going to be like in January with super cold temps and winds. 

I know restaurants have to be spending a fortune on heaters and propane around here. What’s it like for others?

Also, @milehiiu not sure if you remember Mimi’s Diner (that you had looked up), but they closed for good a week or so ago. That was a huge bummer for the neighborhood. 

And one of our bodega’s closed, but it was the one that we didn’t go to as much. The kids that worked there never wore a mask and that doesn’t go down to well. 

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Staffing indeed is going to be a problem in many areas. 

Not sure how it is for other places people live, but places around here are really going all out on the outdoor dining and it seems like people are taking them up on it. We’ve been doing a fair amount of take out and visiting holiday pop up shops. Seems like most places are setting up little stores in the front and selling goods, bottles of wine, etc. Our favorite bookstore is back open to the public (only 5 people in at a time, but it’s still nice to browse). 

On Small Business Saturday, we visited and spent money at like five different places. We and most people I know are really trying to pump money into the local economy, but am not sure what it’s going to be like in January with super cold temps and winds. 

I know restaurants have to be spending a fortune on heaters and propane around here. What’s it like for others?

Also, @milehiiu not sure if you remember Mimi’s Diner (that you had looked up), but they closed for good a week or so ago. That was a huge bummer for the neighborhood. 

And one of our bodega’s closed, but it was the one that we didn’t go to as much. The kids that worked there never wore a mask and that doesn’t go down to well. 

We go out to eat both lunch and dinner quite a bit, as well as we've been doing a lot of Christmas shopping...Restaurants seem to be probably 90% back to normal and that's indoor dining. They've spaced the tables a bit farther, and the servers wear masks...And masks are required if you leave the table. We were in some stores Saturday, and they were full...Everyone had a mask on, but social distancing was impossible...Pretty crowded...

On the medical front, I'm having 2 cervical discs replaced in late January, so it doesn't seem like elective surgeries are having to wait (although I'm uncomfortable enough for it not to be too elective for me)...

I think Texas, for the most part, has about had enough of COVID...People do wear masks and normally people at least try to stay 6 feet away, but life has gotten back to normal in a lot of ways...

There's a Mimi's cafe in Lone Tree, Colorado.  One of Mrs. mile's favorite breakfast places

Lone Tree – Mimi's Cafe

Now... some of you may have seen the lady in L.A.  Who spent $80K on outdoor seating.  Only to get shut down... all the while a movie production company has tents and seating for a movie production.... that is within an arms length of the lady who got shut down.... and the movie company is allowed to feed their people, while she can't take customers.

By the way.  Sorry to hear about Mimi's Diner.

Edited by milehiiu

I think we've talked about all of these claims: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2020/12/04/covid-conspiracy-why-people-dont-believe-deadly-pandemic-misinformation/3803737001/?for-guid=1bc65328-0e70-41bd-8791-52733eb25a6c&utm_source=usatoday-The Backstory&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=narrative&utm_term=hero&fbclid=IwAR2AGDQp00Te225aekuW5AuLKmcUX40g1m7MqMXTyjZt3sEGzxQopeJk1X0

Interesting info I learned: "While death rates are much lower among young adults, research shows they are not without risk. A recent preprint study by Harvard and Yale researchers found COVID-19 has surpassed opioid overdoses as the leading cause of death of adults ages 25 to 44."

And on the claim (as many know...haha) that drives me nuts:

CLAIM: The virus is going to do what it is going to do. We cannot stop it; we cannot slow it. It's just going to have to run its course. Protect the vulnerable and let everyone else live life. 

TRUTH: Patient safety reporter Karen Weintraub takes this one. We're not helpless, she says.

"Today, although scientists don’t know everything they’d like to, they do understand enough about this virus to control it," she said. "It’s clear, for instance, that the virus that causes COVID-19 is a respiratory virus, so people get infected mainly by breathing it in.  So if people can avoid being close to someone who is exhaling viral particles, they won’t get sick. This scientific knowledge gives us power to protect ourselves."

As far as protecting the vulnerable and letting everyone else live normally?

"That’s an enviable idea," she said, "and something that has essentially been tried across the United States, Brazil and a few other countries, unfortunately with disastrous results. 

"Even if you are young and healthy and not overweight and not Black or Native American or part of another high-risk group, you probably are in close contact with someone who is. Or only one or two steps removed from someone who is. Roughly 40% of the American population is obese, over 65, or has a medical condition that predisposes them to be at higher risk for a serious COVID-19 infection."

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Interesting info I learned: "While death rates are much lower among young adults, research shows they are not without risk. A recent preprint study by Harvard and Yale researchers found COVID-19 has surpassed opioid overdoses as the leading cause of death of adults ages 25 to 44."

Reading the study they cited, that statement is misleading...

"Meaning: We find that COVID-19 has likely become the leading cause of death—surpassing
unintentional overdoses—among young adults aged 25-44 in some areas of the United States
during substantial COVID-19 outbreaks."

11 minutes ago, Muckraker said:

Is anyone planning to get the vaccine, if one can get approved? 

I started a thread before the pandemic.... asking if people get a flu shot.  I don't get a flu shot.  And don't get the flu.  Call me crazy, lucky or whatever.   And I will not be getting the covid vaccine.

Now.... I have no problem with those that choose to get the vaccine.  It's just not for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

We go out to eat both lunch and dinner quite a bit, as well as we've been doing a lot of Christmas shopping...Restaurants seem to be probably 90% back to normal and that's indoor dining. They've spaced the tables a bit farther, and the servers wear masks...And masks are required if you leave the table. We were in some stores Saturday, and they were full...Everyone had a mask on, but social distancing was impossible...Pretty crowded...

On the medical front, I'm having 2 cervical discs replaced in late January, so it doesn't seem like elective surgeries are having to wait (although I'm uncomfortable enough for it not to be too elective for me)...

I think Texas, for the most part, has about had enough of COVID...People do wear masks and normally people at least try to stay 6 feet away, but life has gotten back to normal in a lot of ways...

Sounds like here, just w/o the indoor dining. We are just not comfortable with that yet. We are going out quite a bit and shopping, etc but being smart and trying to keep a distance. We’ve also started riding the sub occasionally into Manhattan, probably once a week or so. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

There's a Mimi's cafe in Lone Tree, Colorado.  One of Mrs. mile's favorite breakfast places

Lone Tree – Mimi's Cafe

Now... some of you may have seen the lady in L.A.  Who spent $80K on outdoor seating.  Only to get shut down... all the while a movie production company has tents and seating for a movie production.... that is within an arms length of the lady who got shut down.... and the movie company is allowed to feed their people, while she can't take customers.

By the way.  Sorry to hear about Mimi's Diner.

Well, at least one Mimi’s still stands. I absolutely love a good breakfast diner! 

Yeah, I saw that woman in CA. Horrible. Places are spending so much extra to keep customers happy and warm and then...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Reading the study they cited, that statement is misleading...

"Meaning: We find that COVID-19 has likely become the leading cause of death—surpassing
unintentional overdoses—among young adults aged 25-44 in some areas of the United States
during substantial COVID-19 outbreaks."

That's annoying because the same point could've been made without the journalist being a little fast and loose with her words in that sentence. The point being: that COVID can be a fatal virus to people in that demographic and the most-likely cause of death in areas that experience spikes. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I started a thread before the pandemic.... asking if people get a flu shot.  I don't get a flu shot.  And don't get the flu.  Call me crazy, lucky or whatever.   And I will not be getting the covid vaccine.

Now.... I have no problem with those that choose to get the vaccine.  It's just not for me.

I've had the opposite experience...The USAF MADE you get a flu shot every year, and I was never sick the whole 20 years I was in (only relegated to quarters once...a week for a bad back)...First year I got out, didn't get one, and got sick like I'd never been sick before...Started taking them every year and haven't been sick (knocking on wood) since...

Might just be coincidence, but who knows...