Coronavirus

Reacher

In today's mile coronavirus update :

As I mentioned before. Members are doing drive by/sit ins  for our elderly church members.  Today. Was another one.  And what made this special was one of our members who is a retired music school teacher..... brought his Sax.  And played three songs.  And residents all over the complex came out onto their balconies to listen. Applause at the end.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:43 PM, 5fouls said:

The behavior in the video is reckless and deserves to be called out.  That said, I take exception to the position this Lane Moore guy has taken with tying it into the protests.  His flippant comment is exactly what is wrong with both of these major stories.  For many that are commenting, it's an all or nothing position. One side is 100% wrong while the other is 100% right.  It does not work that way,

In this case, yes, this street gathering is likely to spread the coronavirus.  But, so are large gatherings of protesters.  So, no, there is no reason to 'skip that theory' as he says so in his post.  The reality is neither example should be overlooked as a cause in the virus spreading.  He could have posted the same video, called it irresponsible, and left out the editorial comment.  Americans need to stop being hypocritical and calling out one thing while being accepting something else that has the same consequences.      

I agree that both types of street gatherings are likely to increase spread. It might be that the juxtaposition of images of largely masked protestors moving and not huddling together with these maskless people huddling together talking. The two events are not equal. Also one event is to fight injustice, while the other is to fight boredom.

It's difficult to live in the epicenter and see ignorant people acting like this b/c they are tired of sheltering in place. You can be out and about and still be smart.

2 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I agree that both types of street gatherings are likely to increase spread. It might be that the juxtaposition of images of largely masked protestors moving and not huddling together with these maskless people huddling together talking. The two events are not equal. Also one event is to fight injustice, while the other is to fight boredom.

It's difficult to live in the epicenter and see ignorant people acting like this b/c they are tired of sheltering in place. You can be out and about and still be smart.

Can't speak to the demonstrations in NYC, but, for the most part, protestors in Louisville were not wearing masks.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Can't speak to the demonstrations in NYC, but, for the most part, protestors in Louisville were not wearing masks.

That's not cool at all. It's just idiotic to be out there yelling unprotected. I will say that the protestors here have been been wearing masks for the most part.

Now if we can just get all of the European tourists visiting Manhattan to actually wear them... We had to take our dog into Manhattan for chemo treatment on Friday and saw dozens of tourists not wearing masks - not even around their neck or in "chin strap" position. My wife looked at me and said, "We are doomed."

Another good podcast from The Daily from Friday with Donald McNeil....just going over the things we learned in the last month. Learning that surface transmission isn't as spreadable as initially thought, promising news on the vaccine front, asymptomatic people can spread COVID despite what WHO said and then later retracted/clarified.

However, what got me thinking and frustrated is when he cited an idea by Paul Romer, a Nobel Prize Winning Economist, which basically is that we test every person in the country bi-monthly (30 million tests a day). In theory this will allow us to safely reopen the economy, identify hot spots, catch asymptomatic cases early and reduce the spread. This would cost $1.5 billion dollar a week, which is super expensive, but much, much less than another stimulus package. Granted the logistics to make this happen would be extremely hard to implement and McNeil even admitted the idea is a little 'crazy', but maybe crazy enough to work. Even if you don't think a bigger and more deathly second wave will hit in the fall, isn't it responsible to have some sort of 'insurance policy' in place. 

Not that I'm endorsing the idea above specifically, but it frustrates me that there still doesn't seem to be ANY plan and we're 4 months in. Now is not the time to shy aways from big ideas. The record for a vaccine to come to market is 4 years and we are on track, due to the a mass combined effort of scientists and the private sector,  to bring a vaccine to market in less than a year! This is extraordinary. 3 months ago many scientists didn't think this couldn't be possible. This alone is proof, we can implement something on a grand scale to hold us over, avoid many deaths and another potential economic collapse while we wait for the vaccine to become available. 

Urgency makes the seemingly impossible, possible. Quite a few pages back I linked an article about how scientists have developed a way to contact trace on a mass scale AND not violate our privacy. This too, would allow us to reopen the economy safely and limit infections. Yet, it's just throw in a huge 'idea box' that never seems to get opened. I know it's easy for me to sit behind my computer and type about inaction, but it seems every step along the way we've been reactionary as a country. When are our economic, scientific and political leaders going to step up, put on a unified front and be proactive by putting a solid plan in place? Is it even possible at this point? I just feel like the country is a dog chasing its tail right now. 

...just needed to vent. 

17 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

isn't the problem there test capacity?  We're averaging around 400k tests/day, seems difficult to break into the 4-5m/day range.  

Testing only works if those that test positive quarantine themselves.  And, unfortunately, I think a lot of people would not.  People just don't seem to understand that the best way to get back to 'normal' is do the simple things now (wear a mask in public, stay home if you have symptoms, avoid large crowds, etc.).

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

oh for the times in April when we were assured "very soon" we'd be able to run 5m tests/day...

Do we know the test capacity? I went to the Dr this morning over something unrelated to COVID-19. They took my temperature, and I was asked about any symptoms, but I was never asked about testing in any way.

So I think you're mischaracterizing it a bit...maybe we have the capacity to do 4-5 million tests per day. I'm sure at this juncture if you want to be tested, you can be tested. I haven't heard of anyone being refused testing...

Most people are probably like me. Why get tested if you have no symptoms?

• Like 3

And in continuing mile Covid news.  While 12 24 hour fitness centers in the Denver metro area have closed for good.  The mile family  athletic club, which has been open for over a week....has now opened up their pools..  With limited numbers allowed in the indoor and out door pools.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Do we know the test capacity? I went to the Dr this morning over something unrelated to COVID-19. They took my temperature, and I was asked about any symptoms, but I was never asked about testing in any way.

So I think you're mischaracterizing it a bit...maybe we have the capacity to do 4-5 million tests per day. I'm sure at this juncture if you want to be tested, you can be tested. I haven't heard of anyone being refused testing...

Most people are probably like me. Why get tested if you have no symptoms?

There’s absolutely nothing pointing to availability for 4-5 million tests, nothing. It’s not there 

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

There’s absolutely nothing pointing to availability for 4-5 million tests, nothing. It’s not there 

But that's not the real point. The point is that I believe if you want to get tested, or your Dr wants you to get tested, you will be.

We don't know the capacity. You don't and I don't. But I'm sure if people wanted to be tested now and couldn't, we'd here about it 24/7...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

But that's not the real point. The point is that I believe if you want to get tested, or your Dr wants you to get tested, you will be.

We don't know the capacity. You don't and I don't. But I'm sure if people wanted to be tested now and couldn't, we'd here about it 24/7...

Testing availability has definitely increased in many places, a good thing, but I responded to your comment that HF was mischaracterizing what he said. That’s not fair. You said maybe we have 4-5 million testing capacity. There’s just zero evidence for that and I think you know that. that was my point 

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Testing availability has definitely increased in many places, a good thing, but I responded to your comment that HF was mischaracterizing what he said. That’s not fair. You said maybe we have 4-5 million testing capacity. There’s just zero evidence for that and I think you know that. that was my point 

What's really "not fair" are mods who post with a political slant while telling the rest of us to keep away from politics...

And I said, none of us know the current capacity...not me, not you, and not @HoosierFaithful. What I DO know, and what is relative to the argument is that tests are available to people who have symptoms or want one.

Look, this is a great board. But practice what you preach...

Just my 2¢...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

What's really "not fair" are mods who post with a political slant while telling the rest of us to keep away from politics...

And I said, none of us know the current capacity...not me, not you, and not @HoosierFaithful. What I DO know, and what is relative to the argument is that tests are available to people who have symptoms or want one.

Look, this is a great board. But practice what you preach...

Just my 2¢...

Whoa now I see where you are coming from, you took offense to what you thought was a political statement. I don’t see it, HF isn’t passive aggressive. And I have consistently said keep the damn politics off this board. As a matter of fact, there is zero proof we have 4-5 million testing capacity available, there is absolutely nothing to support that. You tie that back to done kind of political statement? It’s not, let it go there 

Lagrange County has just mandated that all citizens wear masks, in public areas, or even at their homes if maintaining 6 feet distance is not possible. This ruling due to a spike since Memorial Day weekend that has left their hospital at almost full capacity. St. Joseph County (South Bend and Mishawaka) has mandated face masks in any retail establishment, public transport facility, etc. 

Applaud the local governments that have taken matters into their own hands, as it appears that citizens on their own just can't act responsibly.

• Like 2

I read an article on The Hill that was dated yesterday that said we now have the ability to test 4 million per week. 

But the number is beside the overall point. I think that the idea is to get closer to having 'real time' results. So even, if we're testing 750k per day, 4 million, or 20 million we need to a) make sure labs have the capacity to administer results for the high amount of tests coming in b) make sure they can get results back in a timely manner and c) get to the point we're proactively testing, not only reactively testing cases with symptoms. 

It seems we are close to having the ability to making a test available for symptomatic people requesting one, and as a pre-screener for those who are having medical procedures. However, IMO, if this is our goal, it seems like a reactionary plan and is only a recipe for stagnation at best. The whole point for mass population testing is to be proactive, catch asymptomatic people and reduce R (reproductive rate). Keeping R in check would create economic confidence: people would be more likely to travel, go to restaurants, etc. Real time testing would also make contact tracing more feasible (if that's a route we decide to take as a country). 

So, technically if we're testing 10 million people a day, but aren't doing it effectively that number doesn't matter if the goal is decreasing R. A number shouldn't be a benchmark for success or failure. 

I read few articles yesterday because I was intrigued about the idea of mass testing and the logistical obstacle right now isn't distribution of test kits, it's testing the tests. As we test more, the bottleneck of tests coming into the lab would create a delay for results, which is counterproductive, if the goal is to catch cases early. That said, companies are working on at-home test kits that give results in minutes. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Whoa now I see where you are coming from, you took offense to what you thought was a political statement. I don’t see it, HF isn’t passive aggressive. And I have consistently said keep the damn politics off this board. As a matter of fact, there is zero proof we have 4-5 million testing capacity available, there is absolutely nothing to support that. You tie that back to done kind of political statement? It’s not, let it go there 

I really didn't "take offense" at anything...

You said this in the "Racial Tensions" thread...

"1) don’t play cute. we’re not stupid. It’s pretty clear to all when you’re dressing up a point to push a political narrative (either “side” of the fence)."

Just pointing out that the non-mods aren't stupid either...

As a matter of fact, Mods should be held to an even higher standard. Posting something that can even be construed as a political narrative (and apparently I'm not the only one who took it as such) should be out of bounds...

Again, just my 2¢...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I really didn't "take offense" at anything...

You said this in the "Racial Tensions" thread...

"1) don’t play cute. we’re not stupid. It’s pretty clear to all when you’re dressing up a point to push a political narrative (either “side” of the fence)."

Just pointing out that the non-mods aren't stupid either...

As a matter of fact, Mods should be held to an even higher standard. Posting something that can even be construed as a political narrative (and apparently I'm not the only one who took it as such) should be out of bounds...

Again, just my 2¢...

I said in one of my posts earlier that there seems to be a lot of "interpretations" being used as to what is political by the authorities that be.  

• Like 2