Coronavirus

Reacher

1 hour ago, IUskim said:

Have you ever heard of the rainbow bridge short story/poem? It’s something you should read if you haven’t. It’s a kind of nice thing to read after losing a good pup. 

My wife and I lost a kitty about this time last year. We had her cremated.  And the poem came with her ashes. I struggled through it. But my wife still hasn't been able to read it. I just hope it's true.

12 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

We were lucky that she had a full 15 years of life. Ours was cancer as well. We rescued her and then found out she had cancer. We decided to treat it with chemo and she thrived for 19 months. Unfortunately, it finally spread to her lungs and it was a pretty quick decline form there. She was my lockdown buddy as she and our other dog weren't getting along at the end. We had got used to separating them at 7pm each night - me and my sweet Greta stayed in the living room on the daybed and jammed to records and streamed the Sopranos together, while my wife watched Netflix with the other dog.

I was literally with her 24/7 and then nursed her those last few nights 24/7. Not over it yet, obviously as I'm still babbling about it...

Anyway, yeah masks are not hurting anyone at this point and can only help those around you, especially the most vulnerable in our communities. I always think of my 90 year old grandmother and just put the damn mask on, even when it's hot as hell out.

Sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are family and always to tough to get over. 

In terms of masks...every place I hear about/see is wearing masks here in Indy area. At least in my hood and surrounding area I feel like I've seen an uptick in people wearing masks compared to March/April.

11 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Sad.  

We gave two dadchunds right now. One is 12 years old. The other is 15.

They both still do okay, but they certainly are showing signs that have us anxious.   

Sorry man. Dogs are family to many of us.

I remember that you have two doxies. I know you already do, but cherish those little pups. We have admitted to ourselves that a silver lining of the lockdown is that we got to spend a lot more time with her - like all the time. Our other dachshund, Chloe, is finally acting normal after losing her pal. At first she seemed confused and mopey, but now she's soaking up all the extra love.

10 hours ago, IUskim said:

Have you ever heard of the rainbow bridge short story/poem? It’s something you should read if you haven’t. It’s a kind of nice thing to read after losing a good pup. 

Oooh boy, yes. That poem is a tough read, but makes one hopeful.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

My wife and I lost a kitty about this time last year. We had her cremated.  And the poem came with her ashes. I struggled through it. But my wife still hasn't been able to read it. I just hope it's true.

I would give anything for it to be true. We had Greta cremated too and know it's going to be tough when we get her ashes. Sorry about your kitty - it's crazy how much they can mean to us.

13 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

The wife tested positive 2 weeks ago after an ever increasing number of positives in the nursing home she works at. We’ve kissed, hugged, swam, Co-mingled the entire time, as well as our daughter and grand son who live with us. 
Myself, daughter and grandson tests all came back negative today. How is that possible? 
Oh, the wife had a headache fir two days, about a week and a half ago. But she does seem to be her normal level of irritable about everything I say, so there’s that I guess.  

False positive? One of those asymptomatic people who don't transmit? Or as @5fouls said, natural immunity? Or maybe just stronger immune systems?

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

False positive? One of those asymptomatic people who don't transmit? Or as @5fouls said, natural immunity? Or maybe just stronger immune systems?

I hadn't thought of a false positive but I would assume, her being actively working with 100+ cases a day that she would be in a high risk group.

The other thing, both I and the daughter smoke and drink, the wife lives healthy.. hmmmm Get busy livin, or get busy diein.. 😁

4 minutes ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I hadn't thought of a false positive but I would assume, her being actively working with 100+ cases a day that she would be in a high risk group.

The other thing, both I and the daughter smoke and drink, the wife lives healthy.. hmmmm Get busy livin, or get busy diein.. 😁

I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to point out that your, apparently healthier, lifestyle  :cheers: boosted your immune system and prevented you from getting infected. No other explanation makes sense! 

• Like 1

New Jersey adding nearly 1,900 deaths to its total.  Probable deaths not previously counted by the state.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/new-jersey/articles/2020-06-25/33k-more-seek-jobless-benefits-in-nj-amid-covid-19-outbreak

I've never found a good definition of 'probable' versus 'confirmed'.  And, I'm not sure how they can make a reliable conclusion after all of this time.  Because of that, I think the two numbers should be kept separate.  have a column for confirmed, another for probable, and then a grand total if you want.  But, don't just lump them all in the same bucket without any further breakdown.

• Like 1

So I just realized something and thought I would put it out there.  The last week to receive the extra $600 pandemic unemployment insurance will be for the week ending July 25th. 

It ends on July 31st which is a Friday so they wont pay on claims filed after that under the current rules. 

12 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

So I just realized something and thought I would put it out there.  The last week to receive the extra $600 pandemic unemployment insurance will be for the week ending July 25th. 

It ends on July 31st which is a Friday so they wont pay on claims filed after that under the current rules. 

Saw that so I have put some money back in my savings every week so I will have money when 600 runs out.

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

89% wear masks?

Not in Southern Indiana.  I feel safe in saying it's below 50% here.  I think people lied to the pollsters.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/89-of-americans-wear-masks-in-public-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-persists-poll/ar-BB15YDVk?ocid=msedgntp

Ha, nope. Not even here in NYC. It feels like between 60-70% here.

23 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah seems about accurate.  Walmart was scary yesterday afternoon. 

Seems to me there's about 4 groups here in Indy area.

1) Total lock down still. Rarely go out. No visitors,etc..

2) People who wear mask at all times out in public, run normal errands but still  aren't going out or seeing others.

3) People  who wear mask when they go to store...but are getting together with friends more and more often recently at outdoor restaurants, cookouts, bars, golf,etc..while still practicing social distancing. 

4) People walking around like it's no big deal. Belly up to the bar. No mask, no hand sanitizer...ever.

I find myself mostly in group 2....with a desire to be in group 3 at some point but I still find myself hesitant to do anything besides golf and bike/beers on the Monon Trail and remain outside at stops. 

44 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah seems about accurate.  Walmart was scary yesterday afternoon. 

Each time my wife and I venture out for an extended stroll here, she always turns to me at one point or other and says, "We are doomed."

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems to me there's about 4 groups here in Indy area.

1) Total lock down still. Rarely go out. No visitors,etc..

2) People who wear mask at all times out in public, run normal errands but still  aren't going out or seeing others.

3) People  who wear mask when they go to store...but are getting together with friends more and more often recently at outdoor restaurants, cookouts, bars, golf,etc..while still practicing social distancing. 

4) People walking around like it's no big deal. Belly up to the bar. No mask, no hand sanitizer...ever.

I find myself mostly in group 2....with a desire to be in group 3 at some point but I still find myself hesitant to do anything besides golf and bike/beers on the Monon Trail and remain outside at stops. 

We are a combo of 1 and 2. Definitely no visitors seeing others, but we are venturing out for small errands (or picking up to go cocktails), but always masked.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Each time my wife and I venture out for an extended stroll here, she always turns to me at one point or other and says, "We are doomed."

We are a combo of 1 and 2. Definitely no visitors seeing others, but we are venturing out for small errands (or picking up to go cocktails), but always masked.

My cousin lives in your neck of the woods. I think NYC is beating him and his girlfriend up right now. Not just financially but mentally.  It's amazing how his tone has changed in 90 days. They had to get out of the city so they rented a car a couple weeks back and came out to Indy to visit and see other family. Something as simple as waking up, walking down to the Monon trail for a bike ride, outdoor meal with masks on.....you could almost feel the anxiety being released.

Pray for you folks out there. NYC is tough enough during normal times....can't imagine the pressure cooker now.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

My cousin lives in your neck of the woods. I think NYC is beating him and his girlfriend up right now. Not just financially but mentally.  It's amazing how his tone has changed in 90 days. They had to get out of the city so they rented a car a couple weeks back and came out to Indy to visit and see other family. Something as simple as waking up, walking down to the Monon trail for a bike ride, outdoor meal with masks on.....you could almost feel the anxiety being released.

Pray for you folks out there. NYC is tough enough during normal times....can't imagine the pressure cooker now.

If I remember correctly, they live in Washington Heights? It is getting to be a bit of a pressure cooker, and I feel a bit nervous about the summer. Between COVID, almost non-stop protests, riots in Manhattan, stores and restaurants closing left and right, and now nightly professional- level fireworks from 8-3am, people have definitely been more on edge. I love fireworks, but they have been VERY intense.

They've closed a lot of streets down to allow people a bit more room to get out of their cramped houses, but motorists just move the barricades and barrel down the street anyway. Lovely for the kids trying to play in the street. We've been walking a lot to alleviate some of that, but even that can put you on edge. Some blocks are great and others you are forced to walk by people on the sidewalk not wearing masks.

The NYPD, pretty much useless even in normal times, are pouting maskless outside of their precincts (and behind barricades) and letting the fireworks fly. The mayor has finally turned his attention to it, but he's inept and hated as well.

Thankfully, people are mostly being kind to each other and supportive of their neighbors. I feel like that's the big silver lining.

It's weird, b/c so many people had started returning and now they are leaving again. I don't blame them. Glad your cousin was able to get some downtime. A walk on the Monon can do wonders!

• Like 1