Coronavirus

Reacher

8 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is what matters most to me.  I've pretty much only ventured out to the grocery and my kids activities, always masked up and socially distancing when I do.  Once both my wife and I get vaccinated (I'm getting J&J this Friday, she's getting first dose of Moderna next week), it will be nice to be able to think about visiting the new Mexican restaurant in town and things like that.  But, if enough people don't get vaccinated, then it may be a long, long time before things fully open again.

I want to be able to visit a jam-packed Assembly Hall next season!

Exactly! I will say it feels pretty great to be vaccinated and we were vaccinated very early. My wife’s parents are both now fully vaccinated and it will be nice to be able to actaully hug them when we see them next. They are in their late sixties. 

But really the most important thing for us is a return to normalcy for all of our neighborhood businesses. We’ve lost a lot and just hope the ones remaining can hold on. Vaccinations open things up quicker than anything. 

And I think we all deserve a jam-packed stadium after this year! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Last year on this day COVID was declared a pandemic. What a long and bumpy road. 

It's been almost a year since I've been in my office and facility...

I had a big bag (Costco :Dof dried figs in my desk drawer to munch on...wonder how ripe those are?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Hard evidence showing that vaccines do minimize the spread.  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-11/pfizer-biontech-covid-vaccine-blocks-most-spread-in-israel-study?srnd=premium 

With a vaccine, you are less likely to catch it, be hospitalized, die, and or spread it.  The people who are at risk are the elderly, overweight and others with health issues. With what the science tells us, I can't understand why many big city schools are not fully open. 

Didn't know where to put this, but we've touched on the subject a lot in this thread and I think some will find it interesting. 

I was listening to a physicist on Star Talk who is using algorithms for good; https://www.improvethenews.org/. We get into endless loops about credibility and bias of news outlets because many times we are reading the outlets machine based learning brings to us. This physicist created an app that puts us in control of the algorithm with a sliding scale of many factors: political stance, establishment stance, writing style, depth, shelf life and recency. 

By adjusting the slider you receive a different cluster of daily headlines taken from a pool of news outlets. 

Just poked around this morning and it's an interesting concept. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I had a big bag (Costco :Dof dried figs in my desk drawer to munch on...wonder how ripe those are?

Yikes!

It will be a year tomorrow since I stopped commuting into the office. Though I have been going in for part of a day a few times in the last month. We are slowly riding the sub again on off hours. 

But yeah, what a crazy year. 

One of the things that has helped me was all of the different experiences and viewpoints we’ve all shared on this thread. Though I won’t be sad the day this thread gets retired!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Now you have me wondering if I left any food in my desk drawer.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

One of the things that has helped me was all of the different experiences and viewpoints we’ve all shared on this thread. Though I won’t be sad the day this thread gets retired!

Still a ways to go.  Indiana is starting to plateau on number of cases.  And, with states re-opening, I think we will see a mini bump (I'll stop short of calling it a surge) as states start to relax restrictions.

• Like 1

Getting my first dose soon.  I'm young (28) and in good health, but AZ allows anyone to volunteer as crowd control/etc for those in line to get the shot.  After your shift, you get your first shot and an appointment for your second.  I'm excited!  After hearing about the potential long-term complications from COVID, I would be so disappointed if I got it right at the very end of this pandemic.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Getting my first dose soon.  I'm young (28) and in good health, but AZ allows anyone to volunteer as crowd control/etc for those in line to get the shot.  After your shift, you get your first shot and an appointment for your second.  I'm excited!  After hearing about the potential long-term complications from COVID, I would be so disappointed if I got it right at the very end of this pandemic.

Do you get a Billy club or anything? Keep the old fogies like me in line! 😁

• Haha 2

CRAP! Based on the email I just received from our Domestic vendor that builds tooling in China. I built 4 million dollars of tooling with them last year! I think trade with China is about to get ugly! Just me reading between the lines.,,,,. Never mind that could be considered political! 
Nothing more to say!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

CRAP! Based on the email I just received from our Domestic vendor that builds tooling in China. I built 4 million dollars of tooling with them last year! I think trade with China is about to get ugly! Just me reading between the lines.,,,,. Never mind that could be considered political! 
Nothing more to say!

Well that was interesting, turns out it was a very directed hack attack! Be careful my friends, these people are in to everything!

7 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Moderna vaccine?

Johnson & Johnson.  When the state opened it up for my age group, I scheduled the first available option.  Not that concerned about the lower efficacy.  Some research determined that the lower efficacy for J&J could be, in part, because it was tested after the variants had appeared.  The efficacy for Pfizer and Moderna was determined before those the variants had showed up.  As a result, the true numbers may be a lot closer than that,

The one most important to me is the prevention of hospitalization and death.  And J&J is purportedly as good as or even better than the others in that regard.

• Like 4

Whenever you start to feel positive about things, a story like this is published to re-set your expectations.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/12/health/us-coronavirus-friday/index.html

"I think we are going to get fooled," Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia said Thursday. "I think what's going to happen is you're going to see that as we enter the summer months, numbers are going to go down, people will think great, we're good."

He added: "And then, if we don't get to what I think is going to be at least 80% population immunity from natural infection or immunization, when the winter comes, you're going to see a surge again."