Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Ok gang...I've entered the danger zone of uncertainty. It's been hot/humid,etc....here in Hoosierville. I keep reading that tomato leaves wilt/droop because of excess water or not enough. I'm doing the finger test and feels dry underneath but I've been watering almost daily. My patio faces south so they get sun/heat from around 7am until roughly 4 each day. Maybe the causing the leaves to wilt? Tomatoes still look fresh and just today I have 2 starting to hint of turning reddish color on bottom. Just curious what others thought.

I would agree to not worry too much about it.  That is quite a bit of sun, so I would guess it is from that.

This is also a good time for people to check the bottom of some of their tomatoes to make sure they aren't getting end rot.

• Like 1

Roasted fennel and salad from my garden. Also tried pickling my banana peppers and pepperoncini peppers. The worst part about that is I need to wait 2 weeks for them to be "done." Probably going to try another recipe next week.

I gained 5 pounds from my week of vacation, so it is a great time for my garden to be ripening. Dieting is a lot easier when I just have to walk out my back door to eat healthy. Also had 2 cherry tomatoes ripe today, so they should be going crazy soon. A couple brandywines are close to the diameter of a softball, so they should hopefully ripen soon too.

20200720_180123.jpg

20200720_181419.jpg

• Like 4

Well, I won the battle this summer against Japanese beetles and mater worms.  Now I have a new foe...freakin' 'coons.  The little masked bandits are ravaging my cherry maters.  It amazes me that I got field corn all around me and the little varmints dine in my garden.  Any tips for keeping them out?

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, I won the battle this summer against Japanese beetles and mater worms.  Now I have a new foe...freakin' 'coons.  The little masked bandits are ravaging my cherry maters.  It amazes me that I got field corn all around me and the little varmints dine in my garden.  Any tips for keeping them out?

Henry Golden boy .22..😁....do you have any live traps? Then you can relocate them.

2 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Henry Golden boy .22..😁....do you have any live traps? Then you can relocate them.

They "attack" in the middle of the night.  I am not a believer of live traps as I have caught skunks in the past.  But I do have leg-hold traps so I could use those and get a good shot with my .22!

2 minutes ago, rico said:

They "attack" in the middle of the night.  I am not a believer of live traps as I have caught skunks in the past.  But I do have leg-hold traps so I could use those and get a good shot with my .22!

Does spreading human hair around a Garden work? I thought I read one time that works on animals because they smell it...might head to the local barbershop..🤷🏻‍♂️

On 7/23/2020 at 4:58 AM, rico said:

Day 89 and my neighbor still doesn't have any tomatoes...

weed.jpg

When I walked my dog this morning, I swear I saw some of these "tomatoes" next to the road in town. It caught me off guard and it didn't register until we were past it, and my dog was too interested in the squirrel ahead of us to go back, but I am definitely going back today to see if they have any ripe "tomatoes."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody have any ripe tomatoes yet? My "early" ones are starting to turn, but no luck on my brandywines yet. Started getting a couple cherry tomatoes, but they went dry for a few days. Crazy amount of green tomatoes on it, so I'll be overrun with them soon.

We've been getting cherry tomatoes (orange sugar ones I believe)...Our first big tomato is coloring and should be ready any day. We did pick 3 eggplants yesterday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Anybody have any ripe tomatoes yet? My "early" ones are starting to turn, but no luck on my brandywines yet. Started getting a couple cherry tomatoes, but they went dry for a few days. Crazy amount of green tomatoes on it, so I'll be overrun with them soon.

Had my first smaller one the other night. I've got 2-3 that are orange/red but still developing. Should have about 9-10 Cherry tomatoes by the weekend because out of nowhere they've all popped. Pepper game is good so far. Been nice to go outside pick a few and add to dinner each night. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

I have had 4 ripe tomatoes....plenty of cherries.

• Like 2

Just now, Leathernecks said:

I'm at the point right now with my cherry tomatoes that I almost cherish each one. I had 1 ripe one this morning and I was like Tommy Boy with the roll in the diner.

Our garden is struggling this year. We have kept it watered but it just seems like it won't get going. I think my wife's green thumb is turning brown. lol

22 minutes ago, rico said:

My pepper plants have struggled to be honest...ya wanna sell any?

Our peppers are struggling too...I don't think we have any bell peppers even starting as of today. We usually do pablanos but I'm not sure if we even planted those this year. Next year I want to do jalapenos.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Our peppers are struggling too...I don't think we have any bell peppers even starting as of today. We usually do pablanos but I'm not sure if we even planted those this year. Next year I want to do jalapenos.

I am right there with you Bro.  As of today...1, and I repeat 1, bell pepper.  0 jalapenos.  0 cayennes.  Hell, I don't even have fruit on...plenty of blooms?  Sigh.

• Sad 1