Landscaping / Gardening thread

Reacher

3 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I think @Leatherneckswins the pepper and tomato volume contest! I just pulled up the last of our tomato plants, as they were mostly spent and really taking up a lot of space on the far end of our terrace. Looks a lot cleaner without them.

IMG_4036.jpg

We just pulled our plants too. It was not a very good gardening year for us. Tomatoes and tomatoes would grow but not ripen up. Squash wouldn't ripen and green beans were a no show.

I am blaming it on Covid19.

20 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

We just pulled our plants too. It was not a very good gardening year for us. Tomatoes and tomatoes would grow but not ripen up. Squash wouldn't ripen and green beans were a no show.

I am blaming it on Covid19.

I've talked to so many people who have had the same problem w/ tomatoes this year. It was our first subpar tomato year here. Kind of a bummer.

4 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

I think @Leatherneckswins the pepper and tomato volume contest! I just pulled up the last of our tomato plants, as they were mostly spent and really taking up a lot of space on the far end of our terrace. Looks a lot cleaner without them.

IMG_4036.jpg

I have a lot more I need to go pick.  My hot peppers are mostly turned red, so I need to pick them and dehydrated them to make some cayenne seasoning.  I could make a few more jars of pepperoncini peppers too, but not sure if I'll get around to that.

My tomatoes were kind of the same.  They started off great, and the last month or so I haven't been getting very many.

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I've talked to so many people who have had the same problem w/ tomatoes this year. It was our first subpar tomato year here. Kind of a bummer.

My wife bought her Mom a couple tomato plants abd transplanted them each if them into a big planter and they produced big time.  Her folks were begging people to take the excess off their hands.

24 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Just went and picked peppers. I still have some peppers that are flowering. They are crazy this year. I put my hand in the photo so you can judge the size of the pile. I'm kind of at the point where I wish they'd stop!

20200921_135658.jpg

20200921_135719.jpg

That's awesome! I will come over to your house and raid your garden...ha. I need to grow jalapenos next year!

41 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

That's awesome! I will come over to your house and raid your garden...ha. I need to grow jalapenos next year!

Feel free! My jalapeños weren't that great this year. They got knocked over in a storm in July and broke a couple parts off. My cayenne, banana, and pepperoncini were out of control.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Seems late August through September is when I get my biggest harvest of peppers. Just froze a gallon of habanero peppers with more on the plants in addition to jalapenos, pablonos, and cajun belles. Been a good year for peppers here too. 

How do you freeze your peppers? Do you just throw them in a bag, or do you do some kind of prep before freezing?

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

How do you freeze your peppers? Do you just throw them in a bag, or do you do some kind of prep before freezing?

If we are going to use them in cooking clean and cut them. If we will use them in a sauce lay them on a plate or sheet pan and freeze whole. 

Here is a good Link that goes into more detail. 

• Like 1

Glad you guys are discussing. I'm still getting blooms and small tomatoes so I'm not ready to pull the plug yet. Honestly it looks like it could be another 1-2 weeks before completely pull them out.

Quick question though. What do you guys plant (pots) after you pull these out? Anything good for cold weather eventually? And can I use the same soil that's in pots already?

18 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Glad you guys are discussing. I'm still getting blooms and small tomatoes so I'm not ready to pull the plug yet. Honestly it looks like it could be another 1-2 weeks before completely pull them out.

Quick question though. What do you guys plant (pots) after you pull these out? Anything good for cold weather eventually? And can I use the same soil that's in pots already?

Plan on doing garlic this year. Plant in October and harvest next year. Also cooler weather things like radishes and leafy greens. 

I would use the same soil but maybe mix in fresh topsoil or composted manure. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Getting close to my last haul of the year. Candied jalapeños (last weekend), made sauerkraut from a head of cabbage, and dried and ground my peppers for some cayenne pepper. I can't wait to try the jalapeños. Might have to crack into a jar next weekend even though it should probably go 3-4 weeks.

My peppers were picked last weekend, so I can probably get another harvest next weekend. Have another cabbage and a couple red cabbage to pick too. That one will probably be my last harvest even if I have more come in after that. About gardened out for the year.

20201004_220842.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, rico said:

I thought I would put this in here.  Same old stuff with Dad and I.  Machine problems right off the bat.  Spend a few hours working on the Deere's sensors.  Got it worked out and had enough time to get a load to the elevator before the rain came yesterday.

IMG_0175.JPG

Growing up in a John Deere family/world....something absolutely beautiful about that photo. Happy Harvest!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rico said:

I thought I would put this in here.  Same old stuff with Dad and I.  Machine problems right off the bat.  Spend a few hours working on the Deere's sensors.  Got it worked out and had enough time to get a load to the elevator before the rain came yesterday.

One of my kids favorite memories was when I took them (ages 7-8?) out to a cornfield (might have been in Montgomery) where I knew the guy doing the farming and he let them climb in the combine to harvest some soybeans.  They took a turn driving (1 row each) and got to taste a soybean from the field. I was amazed at the technology in there. It kills me that I don't have the pics from that day any longer. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Growing up in a John Deere family/world....something absolutely beautiful about that photo. Happy Harvest!

The tractor is in the shadows. Could have framed it better :)

• Like 2