Duke game MVP

Reacher

1 minute ago, iuthruandthru said:

But I will add that this was a great team effort and Davis impressed me with staying out of foul trouble and taking the ball to the rim and passing when needed, but free throws killed my vote for him.

Davis was a game changer when he wasn't on the bench or at the free throw line. Hopefully he can improve in both of those areas

My vote would go to either Morgan or Hartman. Hartman is just a steady and smart player. He isn't the best at anything, but he's solid at basically everything and he makes the right play most of the time. Morgan continues to impress. He just stuffs the staff sheet and is involved in the game in so many different positive ways. He's the kind of guy that every good team needs.

I am not voting for a player.  However I do want to comment on two things.  I too noticed how vocal Collin was on the court, directing people.Something that was missing in several of our early games, and something that is welcome to see, when he is in.   And I don't know what is wrong with De'Ron in terms of free throw shooting. I know for a fact, he is a good free throw shooter.

My MVP of the game, once again goes to Archie.  He had this team prepared.  Loved the fact that he got the team to raise their defensive level once again. And then he was like Chopin, in how he moved players in and out of the game. 

12 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I am not voting for a player.  However I do want to comment on two things.  I too noticed how vocal Collin was on the court, directing people.Something that was missing in several of our early games, and something that is welcome to see, when he is in.   And I don't know what is wrong with De'Ron in terms of free throw shooting. I know for a fact, he is a good free throw shooter.

My MVP of the game, once again goes to Archie.  He had this team prepared.  Loved the fact that he got the team to raise their defensive level once again. And then he was like Chopin, in how he moved players in and out of the game. 

Archie was masterful both in preparation and in game coaching. The only thing he didn't do was outplay coach K in playing the refs. We didn't get any home court calls and Duke actually got 8 in a row late. 

I linked a Duke article in the game thread where their writer predicted Archie as Coach of the Year. 

42 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Archie was masterful both in preparation and in game coaching. The only thing he didn't do was outplay coach K in playing the refs. We didn't get any home court calls and Duke actually got 8 in a row late. 

I linked a Duke article in the game thread where their writer predicted Archie as Coach of the Year. 

I think it was Bilas who was comparing Crean and Miller. And he was saying Miller was more Knight like, than Crean. Especially, when it came to defense.  Which caused me to think of another similarity between Miller and Knight.  It was said that if Knight was given enough time to game plan, there was no one better.  I think we saw what Miller can do with several days to game plan against Duke.  I honestly did not think IU would be as competitive against the best team in D-1 as they were Wednesday night.  I lay that to the credit of Miller.  He had his team ready, and executed a great game plan as well.

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

Too many missed free throws from Davis for me to pick him

Agreed -- but otherwise I would've picked him. He was really, really good against Duke's elite bigs. As he continues to learn how to avoid fouls (his conditioning is already much better, he's getting there, now it's footwork and timing) and gets / keeps his FT shooting at a good percentage, he will become a dominant player.

I'd give this one to Morgan. He did everything out there, including hitting a timely 3. The "stuffing the stat sheet" line applies to him fully. Kind of reminds me of Newton (not the same player, but in the way he can quietly impact a game). Really hope he stays healthy, together with Davis, he's developing our front court with toughness. 

Maybe not the MVP because he didn’t play many minutes, but man is Hartman making the huge difference we hoped he would.  11 points, 3 offensive rebounds, 1 great assist, and 0 TOs in 16 minutes is a hell of a game for him.  As he gets healthier and settles in, he can be the shooter and savvy playmaker this team needs badly.  Here’s hoping he can stay injury-free.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agreed -- but otherwise I would've picked him. He was really, really good against Duke's elite bigs. As he continues to learn how to avoid fouls (his conditioning is already much better, he's getting there, now it's footwork and timing) and gets / keeps his FT shooting at a good percentage, he will become a dominant player.

Happens all the time.  As De'Ron continues to build a reputation as a dominant player.... some of the questionable calls that have gone against him, will start going his way. There's something about officials that tend to give the benefit of the doubt to players who have or are building a name for themselves. De'Ron has had several questionable calls, early on, not go his way.  Again, by the end of the season, I could see many of those questionable calls going his way.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Happens all the time.  As De'Ron continues to build a reputation as a dominant player.... some of the questionable calls that have gone against him, will start going his way. There's something about officials that tend to give the benefit of the doubt to players who have or are building a name for themselves. De'Ron has had several questionable calls, early on, not go his way.  Again, by the end of the season, I could see many of those questionable calls going his way.

In fairness, he wasn't getting shafted by the refs, he's still learning not to foul and he was playing against genuinely elite bigs. He did a good job in the second half, and his conditioning is getting there (it's not quite there yet). His timing and footwork are still works in progress but also better. After seeing the way he stepped it up on the big stage last night, I have high expectations for him -- he can be really good. But to get there he has to keep getting better in avoiding fouling, and he has to get comfortable at the stripe.

15 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

In fairness, he wasn't getting shafted by the refs, he's still learning not to foul and he was playing against genuinely elite bigs. He did a good job in the second half, and his conditioning is getting there (it's not quite there yet). His timing and footwork are still works in progress but also better. After seeing the way he stepped it up on the big stage last night, I have high expectations for him -- he can be really good. But to get there he has to keep getting better in avoiding fouling, and he has to get comfortable at the stripe.

No, I am not talking about the Duke game.  De'Ron has had some very questionable calls go against himself in earlier games.   It was mentioned in a couple of game threads across the IU fan board universe.

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'd add consistency. He has to play like that all the time and dominate- not play down- to lesser competition.

31 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Those first two fouls last night were pretty awful calls, especially the first one.

Not the MVP, but I was impressed by Al Durham. Probably the biggest game of his career so far, he played well, he played with poise, and the only negative I remember from him was the foul he picked up when he lost the ball in the second half, but he at least went to the floor for it and it wasn't obvious to me from my living room why he was called for a foul on the play. 

5 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Not the MVP, but I was impressed by Al Durham. Probably the biggest game of his career so far, he played well, he played with poise, and the only negative I remember from him was the foul he picked up when he lost the ball in the second half, but he at least went to the floor for it and it wasn't obvious to me from my living room why he was called for a foul on the play. 

First game of the season I really watched most of it attentively.  I think the play you are speaking of Al was immediately yanked because he was beaten to the ground by a guy much larger and less quick than him.  That was my interpretation of the sequence and something we would never see from Crean.  Al was brought back in within a minute or so. But yes like the way he plays.  Think these guys are going to be so tight and sound by end of season we may resemble a typical Wichita State team.  Hard to score on, fundamental, scrappy.  Like what I saw.  

1 hour ago, IUaic said:

It was because he rolled over on the Duke player -- which was unavoidable after they both scramble to the floor. Nothing wrong with that at all.

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

First game of the season I really watched most of it attentively.  I think the play you are speaking of Al was immediately yanked because he was beaten to the ground by a guy much larger and less quick than him.  That was my interpretation of the sequence and something we would never see from Crean.  Al was brought back in within a minute or so. But yes like the way he plays.  Think these guys are going to be so tight and sound by end of season we may resemble a typical Wichita State team.  Hard to score on, fundamental, scrappy.  Like what I saw.  

One thing about that play that I didn't notice live, but picked up when they showed the replay, the Duke guys grabbed Al's shoulder from behind, sort of how a defensive back tries to subtly pull the back shoulder of a wide receiver going over the middle. It was just a slight tug, but enough to pull him back slightly and allow the Duke guy to get by him. Refs missed it, but again it was slight, but effective. 

Archived