Who's your team captains for next season ?

Coach Crean did not seem to believe in team captains.  I do.  And it seems as if Coach Miller believes in team captains as well. Even if they are nominated by teammates.

So.... Hoosier Sports Nation.  Who are your team captains for next season ?

This is a more difficult question than it seems on the surface IMO. I think you've got a group of Durham, Brunk, Phinisee, Smith and TJD to choose from. Without knowing and being around these guys personally, my perception is that Smith is not a captain type. He's too inconsistent with his effort and focus. 

I think it would be very tough to have Durham be a captain his junior year and then take that away his senior year. Unless he's done something to warrant it, taking the captaincy away from him would be an odd move. 

I think Brunk is a natural and would thrive with having some of that leadership mantel assigned to him. I think he's a pretty obvious choice. 

Now it gets more complicated. I've got two obvious choices in Durham and Brunk, but I also think at some point you need to hand the reins over to Phinisee, and now seems like the time. Phinisee is the point guard, and sees like a natural, though I was a little surprised he didn't seem to step up more vocally, at least form what I saw on the court, last season. 

Finally, TJD is the best player on the team and did step into some leadership situations even as a freshmen. It's typically good when your best player is also the leader, but at the same time he's still a little young for that. 

I guess you go Durham and Brunk, though I'd love to see one of Phinisee and TJD, if not both, really become the leaders even if they're not the captains. 

My experience is that being a captain doesn't mean you're the only leader. Other players can still be leaders on the court and in the lockerroom. 

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This is a more difficult question than it seems on the surface IMO. I think you've got a group of Durham, Brunk, Phinisee, Smith and TJD to choose from. Without knowing and being around these guys personally, my perception is that Smith is not a captain type. He's too inconsistent with his effort and focus. 

I think it would be very tough to have Durham be a captain his junior year and then take that away his senior year. Unless he's done something to warrant it, taking the captaincy away from him would be an odd move. 

I think Brunk is a natural and would thrive with having some of that leadership mantel assigned to him. I think he's a pretty obvious choice. 

Now it gets more complicated. I've got two obvious choices in Durham and Brunk, but I also think at some point you need to hand the reins over to Phinisee, and now seems like the time. Phinisee is the point guard, and sees like a natural, though I was a little surprised he didn't seem to step up more vocally, at least form what I saw on the court, last season. 

Finally, TJD is the best player on the team and did step into some leadership situations even as a freshmen. It's typically good when your best player is also the leader, but at the same time he's still a little young for that. 

I guess you go Durham and Brunk, though I'd love to see one of Phinisee and TJD, if not both, really become the leaders even if they're not the captains. 

My experience is that being a captain doesn't mean you're the only leader. Other players can still be leaders on the court and in the lockerroom. 

I'd remind you that Devonte Green was named a captain last year, and his focus wasn't exactly laser...

I saw Justin being very vocal last year, especially in the huddles...I think CAM values that...Not discounting Brunk, but he strikes me as more of a follower type...

I do think it'll be 2 of the 3 seniors though. Rob gets his turn next year.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I'd remind you that Devonte Green was named a captain last year, and his focus wasn't exactly laser...

I saw Justin being very vocal last year, especially in the huddles...I think CAM values that...Not discounting Brunk, but he strikes me as more of a follower type...

I do think it'll be 2 of the 3 seniors though. Rob gets his turn next year.

Good point on the Justin/Devonte comparison in terms of this topic. Another point in Smith's favor is simply that sometimes on a team when you vote for something like this there is pressure to vote for the seniors. Sort of a right of passage type of thing that it's their turn, regardless of their history. 

I do agree that Justin seemed to step up more last year in terms of being vocal, making sure guys were in the right spot defensively, etc. Maybe he's ready to ramp up that part of his game even more. That would be great. I do worry though about a guy that has had effort and focus issues being a captain. It didn't really work out all that great for Green, though he did have moments. But, maybe as a senior Smith ready to put that behind him. 

I'll disagree on Brunk. I think he's a great candidate for being a captain. He doesn't strike me as a follower at all, and I think we'll see that even more with it being his second year in the program. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

Good point on the Justin/Devonte comparison in terms of this topic. Another point in Smith's favor is simply that sometimes on a team when you vote for something like this there is pressure to vote for the seniors. Sort of a right of passage type of thing that it's their turn, regardless of their history. 

I do agree that Justin seemed to step up more last year in terms of being vocal, making sure guys were in the right spot defensively, etc. Maybe he's ready to ramp up that part of his game even more. That would be great. I do worry though about a guy that has had effort and focus issues being a captain. It didn't really work out all that great for Green, though he did have moments. But, maybe as a senior Smith ready to put that behind him. 

I'll disagree on Brunk. I think he's a great candidate for being a captain. He doesn't strike me as a follower at all, and I think we'll see that even more with it being his second year in the program. 

Yeah, it's really difficult to assess, as you said in your initial post, without being in or at least around and seeing the group dynamic.

I thought last year one guy (Al) got it based on work ethic, and the other (Devonte) got it because he was the "natural" leader of the group. I know the players voted, but I have to believe Archie was pleased with the outcome. Sometimes giving a kid extra responsibility, especially a kid where it hasn't been all wine and roses like Devonte, can be beneficial in their growth.

Too bad we'll never know if we would have made the tournament and played a few real pressure games. It would have been fun to see how Devonte handled it.

Agree with several of you to a point...BGleas and Seeking6 to be specific.

But...as one of you pointed out, there are different kinds of leaders. There are leaders by "title" and leaders by "example".

For me Rob fits the bill either way. He's so even keeled personality wise, I think he'd make a good captain by title and example.

I'd love for TJD to be a captain, but I'd prefer he be a leader by example first. Like to see more a little more hustle and determination on his part this coming year.

I just can't buy into Smith being a captain. Too inconsistent. Not that crazy about Durham either. Brunk seems like an obvious candidate, but his minutes could be more limited this year, especially if Race steps up. No one's mentioned Hunter yet. And honestly, I'm not sure there HAS to be 2 captains.

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

McRobbie is saying that classes on campus in the fall are "highly unlikely" right now.  We may not need captains...if they are not going to let students on campus, do not see how they allow the sports teams to work out together.

I think it's massively premature to speculate about the fall semester at the end of April but that sounds very much like McRobbie.  I'll bet he's wrong though.

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I think it's massively premature to speculate about the fall semester at the end of April but that sounds very much like McRobbie.  I'll bet he's wrong though.

I totally agree with you, but McRobbie and administrators like him all over the country are going to rush to cancel college sports at the first possible opportunity.  Will be a real shame.

16 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

McRobbie is saying that classes on campus in the fall are "highly unlikely" right now.  We may not need captains...if they are not going to let students on campus, do not see how they allow the sports teams to work out together.

There's no real reason to talk about this in this thread, as well. 

This topic comes up every year and I'd say it is one thing IU gets wrong consistently. You should always want your best players to pick up the mantle of captain or leader, but only if they are built for it emotionally and fits their personality.  

The players choose the guys they think should be captains but it's rarely the right choice. When DG was named captain last season you knew it was going to be a rocky road. His game was never an example of how things should be done. I'm not ripping DG - from day one it was known he had a NY street ball game. It never changed and he never earned the respect of his team as someone fundamentally sound enough to show/tell others how to play the game.

AD and Brunk have the demeanor and voice to lead. They also go full out effort. Their only issue is they are not the best players on the team. I'd expect Al and possibly Brunk to be named  captains just based on those qualities, and the fact they are Seniors. Nothing I have seen from JS would suggest he will be a leader but it would be interesting to see how he performs if he were named a captain.

Rob could be THE captain. I'm a believer we have not seen him play a fully healthy season and it has really impacted his confidence. Whether he elevates his game or not, it appears you can add him to a long list of quiet, soft spoken kids who just do not have that in them. Can you lead by example and help the team? Sure. But that only goes so far. You can't have a team without a voice. Someone has to be the vocal and visual leader that plays the game hard and is fundamentally strong. I am not sure Rob will ever be that guy.

Finally, TJD. He's the best player on the team. If he wants it bad enough and has the mindset to take the lead, he can be that guy. It would do wonders for this team. There are plenty of examples of Freshmen coming in and leading their teams. Top tier teams. No reason TJD, as a Soph, can't lead this IU team. 

34 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

This topic comes up every year and I'd say it is one thing IU gets wrong consistently. You should always want your best players to pick up the mantle of captain or leader, but only if they are built for it emotionally and fits their personality.  

The players choose the guys they think should be captains but it's rarely the right choice. When DG was named captain last season you knew it was going to be a rocky road. His game was never an example of how things should be done. I'm not ripping DG - from day one it was known he had a NY street ball game. It never changed and he never earned the respect of his team as someone fundamentally sound enough to show/tell others how to play the game.

AD and Brunk have the demeanor and voice to lead. They also go full out effort. Their only issue is they are not the best players on the team. I'd expect Al and possibly Brunk to be named  captains just based on those qualities, and the fact they are Seniors. Nothing I have seen from JS would suggest he will be a leader but it would be interesting to see how he performs if he were named a captain.

Rob could be THE captain. I'm a believer we have not seen him play a fully healthy season and it has really impacted his confidence. Whether he elevates his game or not, it appears you can add him to a long list of quiet, soft spoken kids who just do not have that in them. Can you lead by example and help the team? Sure. But that only goes so far. You can't have a team without a voice. Someone has to be the vocal and visual leader that plays the game hard and is fundamentally strong. I am not sure Rob will ever be that guy.

Finally, TJD. He's the best player on the team. If he wants it bad enough and has the mindset to take the lead, he can be that guy. It would do wonders for this team. There are plenty of examples of Freshmen coming in and leading their teams. Top tier teams. No reason TJD, as a Soph, can't lead this IU team. 

Good post.  I think one of the primary issues over the last few years has been that there hasn’t been much overlap between the best players on the team and who’s been looked to as the leaders/captains.  Now that he’ll be a sophomore, I’d definitely like to see TJD step up and claim that mantle as the best player and team leader.

I might be changing my pick or picks. I want Rob to be a captain....but watching Al Durham on the road at Michigan St or on Youtube clip Welcome to SS Assembly Hall....I can hear how much he loves this place. Maybe he deserves a nod. Probably emotional.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:32 AM, Euroclydon said:

Really agree with your post, especially this part. I think people automatically want to put PGs in leadership roles, and it certainly makes sense, since they are the ones handling the ball the most and running the offense. But, as you noted, Rob's biggest problem outside of staying healthy is confidence, and unless there's a major change in that aspect this offseason, it's probably not a good idea to have one of your captains having a confidence issue. There's tremendous potential there, but I'm not sure anointing him captain at this point is a good idea. I'd go with some combination of Al, Justin, and Joey, or possibly all three. 

48 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Really agree with your post, especially this part. I think people automatically want to put PGs in leadership roles, and it certainly makes sense, since they are the ones handling the ball the most and running the offense. But, as you noted, Rob's biggest problem outside of staying healthy is confidence, and unless there's a major change in that aspect this offseason, it's probably not a good idea to have one of your captains having a confidence issue. There's tremendous potential there, but I'm not sure anointing him captain at this point is a good idea. I'd go with some combination of Al, Justin, and Joey, or possibly all three. 

Interesting how different people have different takes. I've never once watched Rob Phinisee and thought he lacked confidence, let alone considered it a big issue for him. 

Would I like to see him more aggressive in terms of scoring sometimes? Sure. But, I've never thought he lacked confidence. 

21 hours ago, BGleas said:

Interesting how different people have different takes. I've never once watched Rob Phinisee and thought he lacked confidence, let alone considered it a big issue for him. 

Would I like to see him more aggressive in terms of scoring sometimes? Sure. But, I've never thought he lacked confidence. 

I would say that in a few games, he hasn't looked confident in his shooting, but my opinion is really based more on what I've heard from insider podcasts and read in articles than what I've observed from watching on TV. Hard to tell whether that's confidence in his health, his abilities on the court, or a combo of both, though.

Archived