What's worse?

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Fans bashing players who are on their team

Really?  If I am a player I am a little more concerned about the guy I have to interact with on a daily basis and trust to have my back than I am @IUboombaby2020, some nameless, faceless, shmuck I will never meet on Twitter.

If I am recruiting against Purdue, I yank that interview and say not only did he not develop those guys, he talked sh*t about them on one of the biggest sports talk shows in the biggest media market in the state.  So Random Player, how long do you think Painter held the opinion that Haarms and Eastern sucked and how do you think it impacted how he coached them?  I think that is far more impactful than, "Hey, if you lose games, @IUGr8estTimeOut will say you are not trying hard enough on Twitter."

5 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Really?  If I am a player I am a little more concerned about the guy I have to interact with on a daily basis and trust to have my back than I am @IUboombaby2020, some nameless, faceless, shmuck I will never meet on Twitter.

If I am recruiting against Purdue, I yank that interview and say not only did he not develop those guys, he talked sh*t about them on one of the biggest sports talk shows in the biggest media market in the state.  So Random Player, how long do you think Painter held the opinion that Haarms and Eastern sucked and how do you think it impacted how he coached them?  I think that is far more impactful than, "Hey, if you lose games, @IUGr8estTimeOut will say you are not trying hard enough on Twitter."

Well Painter was right when he said many players during the past had developed and that those work ethic was a problem.

😂😂😂 Painter torching his transfers...I freaking love it.  This is gold on so many levels...recruiting against Turdue, putting Nojel and hair gel in their places, pissing off mommy...

Thanks for the link...if it wasn't jockitch's show, I'd go back and listen.

I agree with the Turdue writer...going scorched earth on these guys is bad form, but he's more entitled to bitch about his players than average Joe fan.  I'm just a tad surprised he did it so publicly though.

I'll always feel like fans to trash their teams players are Kentucky-level.  I'd really hope IU fans are better than that but sadly, some aren't.

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Or it shows that he wants guys who won’t shy away or pack up and leave when adversity comes but instead will work their asses off instead.  It’s obvious Painter wanted them both back and was disappointed they left. 

Just got finished listening to the whole interview besides a couple of comments I did not hear anything that was wrong.  I agreed with pretty much everything that he said about how some players just want things handed to them without working for it.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just got finished listening to the whole interview besides a couple of comments I did not hear anything that was wrong.  I agreed with pretty much everything that he said about how some players just want things handed to them without working for it.

I didn't see any quotes I disagreed with, especially if I'm the coach of Turdue, but it's way different thinking it vs. saying it privately vs. TRASHING FORMER PLAYERS PUBLICLY.

What he said is true.

Saying it on the Dakich show was probably a mistake of frustration.

Guarantee it will be used against him in recruiting.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Maybe it is my old school thinking but I just think people are to sensitive and soft today.  I heard RMK say a lot worse things about his current players than what Painter said today.

You are old school.  Today's PC environment wouldn't tolerate Knight's approach for two minutes.  It's not just the players.

20 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I just think it is worse when fans who have no stake in the program goes on social media to rip players.  Coaches put in the time and effort and put everything they have in the program.

I agree.  Painter has a much better reason to say what he said than the fans.  I would still tell you that saying it so publicly will bite him.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You are old school.  Today's PC environment wouldn't tolerate Knight's approach for two minutes.  It's not just the players.

I agree.  Painter has a much better reason to say what he said than the fans.  I would still tell you that saying it so publicly will bite him.

I think this will blow over and not be a big deal. I remember people freaking out on Izzo when he had to be restrained against Aaron Henry and that blew over too. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

I think this will blow over and not be a big deal. I remember people freaking out on Izzo when he had to be restrained against Aaron Henry and that blew over too. 

Love ya boiler.  However, got to think about recruits considering PU.... and thinking..... that's not for me.  I'll go somewhere else instead.

Hey take care boiler.  Hope you and yours (many IU fans among them ) are managing during this stressful time.

2 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

What is funny is that Aaron's dad had no problem with Izzo at all.  I worked with his dad and we talked about it and he said it was not a big deal at all.

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What is funny is that Aaron's dad had no problem with Izzo at all.  I worked with his dad and we talked about it and he said it was not a big deal at all.

Guys...this is different than a heat of the battle reaction like Izzo's.  We knew Izzo was upset in the moment, but he wasn't trashing Henry and saying he wasn't a Spartan or making fun of his NBA ambitions.  Maybe it does blow over, but I don't see an in-game explosion remotely similar to a methodical trashing of a player on a talk radio show.

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree. We’re not living in the 70’s and 80’s, RMK’s style of coaching, treatment of players, and public I’m above all of you I can say what I Damn want era is over. 

Not a good look to bash players on the way out. That’s disappointment and frustration talking 

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I didn't see any quotes I disagreed with, especially if I'm the coach of Turdue, but it's way different thinking it vs. saying it privately vs. TRASHING FORMER PLAYERS PUBLICLY.

What he said is true.

Saying it on the Dakich show was probably a mistake of frustration.

Guarantee it will be used against him in recruiting.

Spot on.  Hilarious to see the usual suspects who get so upset about players being bashed by anonymous fans on social media turn around and defend a coach bashing them on a radio program that reaches a state-wide audience.

Personally, I don’t much care who publicly bashes the players either way (although it is definitely dumb coming from fans).  But like you said, also a dumb move by Painter.  Everything he said might be true, but coaches rarely rip outgoing players in the media as hard as he just did.  Will definitely be used against him in recruiting.

Archived