IU/Iowa pre-game discussion thread

Game set for December 4.  On BTN for all of us to see.

Time to put the Michigan game in the rear view mirror.  And focus on the Hawkeye's as they appear in the Carnegie Hall of College Basketball.

Iowa just dropped their first conference game.... at home. To a team that has not beaten them at home .... for like.... forever.

We saw what the Hall did to the number one team in the nation.

Can it do the same, this time with a victory over the  Hawkeye's  ?

What say you, HSN 3.0 ?  Let's get this discussion under way !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today very disappointing.  This group needs a major mental adjustment.  Unbelievably sluggish, sloppy, and appeared disinterested and totally lacking focus.  We closed to within 5 while we were playing Archie ball.  Then we start jacking 3's and allow 8-0 run to close us out of contention.  De'Ron is simply not playing to potential.  I think we didn't see him much in 2nd half because CAM was sending a message.  Today's game was really lost on D.  Countless times 2 IU players following the dribbler and leaving Pop man open or 1 pass extra open, poor close outs, and poor rebounding.  I think Rojo, Newkirk need to lose starting postitions.  Concentrate on developing players for next year.  Morgan is hands down our best player right now.  He can replace Davis.  I have no problem with starting Durham, Morgan, Smith, Hartman, and give Jager a shot at guard.  Hard to believe he couldn't replace Newkirk or Rojo the way they've played.  McRoberts  and McSwain off the bench.  AH will give those players enough of a boost to make them competitive.  Sit Rojo, Newkirk,  Green, Cujo and Davis a while.  All have not played to their potential.  See if these players are willing to execute the offense and defense CAM wants.  I'd rather lose with players who are focused, determined, and giving effort than what we saw in the especially in the firs half today.  Reminiscent of of Bob Knight benching starters in Illinois/Iowa losses in 1985.  

3 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

Today very disappointing.  This group needs a major mental adjustment.  Unbelievably sluggish, sloppy, and appeared disinterested and totally lacking focus.  We closed to within 5 while we were playing Archie ball.  Then we start jacking 3's and allow 8-0 run to close us out of contention.  De'Ron is simply not playing to potential.  I think we didn't see him much in 2nd half because CAM was sending a message.  Today's game was really lost on D.  Countless times 2 IU players following the dribbler and leaving Pop man open or 1 pass extra open, poor close outs, and poor rebounding.  I think Rojo, Newkirk need to lose starting postitions.  Concentrate on developing players for next year.  Morgan is hands down our best player right now.  He can replace Davis.  I have no problem with starting Durham, Morgan, Smith, Hartman, and give Jager a shot at guard.  Hard to believe he couldn't replace Newkirk or Rojo the way they've played.  McRoberts  and McSwain off the bench.  AH will give those players enough of a boost to make them competitive.  Sit Rojo, Newkirk,  Green, Cujo and Davis a while.  All have not played to their potential.  See if these players are willing to execute the offense and defense CAM wants.  I'd rather lose with players who are focused, determined, and giving effort than what we saw in the especially in the firs half today.  Reminiscent of of Bob Knight benching starters in Illinois/Iowa losses in 1985.  

Well done.  As much as I am a fan of De'Ron..... it is clear that Archie was sending a message in the Michigan game.  And I am not sure what the issue was.... but I like the fact that you agree with me, that the team got away from playing "Archie Ball".  Still trying to figure that one out in terms of De'Ron, in that he had nothing to do with the team launching putrid treys, when they came within five points of Michigan.  It's a coaching thing... I am sure.  Much like when Knight was our leader, and we could not figure why he would sit an entire starting five..... in order to send a message.  In the end.... can't figure it out.... yet I am in love with Archie... and "Archie Ball".

Yes, Saturday was very disappointing. Yet very encouraging in another way. We finally have a coach who is insisting on his players doing it his way.... or else suffering the consequences.  Again, I don't know what De'Ron did to suffer those consequences.  Perhaps, it was something from practice.  I don't know.  But it is good to know we have a coach, willing to sacrifice a game, much in the nature of Knight, in order to get a point across to his team.

6 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Well done.  As much as I am a fan of De'Ron..... it is clear that Archie was sending a message in the Michigan game.  And I am not sure what the issue was.... but I like the fact that you agree with me, that the team got away from playing "Archie Ball".  Still trying to figure that one out in terms of De'Ron, in that he had nothing to do with the team launching putrid treys, when they came within five points of Michigan.  It's a coaching thing... I am sure.  Much like when Knight was our leader, and we could not figure why he would sit an entire starting five..... in order to send a message.  In the end.... can't figure it out.... yet I am in love with Archie... and "Archie Ball".

Yes, Saturday was very disappointing. Yet very encouraging in another way. We finally have a coach who is insisting on his players doing it his way.... or else suffering the consequences.  Again, I don't know what De'Ron did to suffer those consequences.  Perhaps, it was something from practice.  I don't know.  But it is good to know we have a coach, willing to sacrifice a game, much in the nature of Knight, in order to get a point across to his team.

Thanks for the comments mile.  I think De'Ron was benched for lack of effort.  No rebounding.  For crying out loud he played well against Duke's huge front then disappears at UM.  Also, he plays soft to the rim.  Short armed shots instead of going for dunks.  I'm with you on Archie Ball.   CAM is a more civilized version of RMK.  Once he gets things running according to his vision it will remind us of the glory days I  watched in 70's and 80's.  It has been a long time since we've seen that type of BB.

I saw an interview this past week, where Archie was asked what player trait he thought was most important... and he said "competitiveness."  His ability to inspire that trait in this group of players will be his biggest test.  Our guys seem to run hot and mostly cold in the motor department.  I hope they come with the fire to compete against Iowa, or they'll get smoked again.  

Iowa is long and young.  It's hard to determine what will happen with them.  They have several decent bigs but no real point guard.  Moss is their best scorer with Cook as the most athletic big.  Pimsel, Garza, and Wagner are big bodies.  Baer and Bohanian are their 3 point shooters.  McCaffrey is a 6'5 freshman who can shoot and play point.

They have allot of really young good talent but without a true point get lost sometimes and break easily.

6 minutes ago, Fundamentals said:

DeRon Davis is coming along, but he needs to be a more effective and involved rebounder.  No excuse for his numbers on the boards.  Also, more Justin Smith please. 

I don't care if it is the middle of the night.  Just glad to hear from you, my friend.  I have been thinking of you a lot, recently.  Again, great to hear from you. And hoping you and yours are doing well. 

On 12/3/2017 at 1:44 AM, milehiiu said:

I only saw a bit of Saturday's game, but it seems like the team can't allow themselves to get down that many points and expect to get back as easily as they could under 'Crean-ball'. This is definitely not an endorsement for Crean, but at times his teams would routinely go on 8-0, 10-0 runs because somebody would get hot and chuck up threes and all of the sudden be back in the game. Archie teams are going to be more steady, more disciplined and this year's team simply doesn't have the scorers to do that anyway. Starting out a game flat will hurt this team more than it did in previous years. At this point, their mentality seems to be their biggest obstacle, moreso than talent. The highs won't be as high and the lows won't be as low, but this team needs to adapt to putting in a more consistent effort. And I don't mean 'effort' like they aren't trying....more like developing the 'Archie mindset'. They're learning what it takes to be successful in his system. 

I don't know....I guess, I just feel like Crean's teams allowed lapses in mindset that were at times disguised by those quick scoring runs, which made it always feel like we had a fighting chance to get back in a game (whether we did or ended up losing by 20). Those lapses are just not going to fly now. We can't cover them up. We simply can not have them....not when Archie is going to place more value on getting to the line than living/dying by the 3 because the road back will be much more grueling. 

6 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

DeRon Davis is coming along, but he needs to be a more effective and involved rebounder.  No excuse for his numbers on the boards.  Also, more Justin Smith please. 

Smith is still a step behind, defensively.... Hence, McRoberts playing. I think we'll see him more throughout the year though.

I think we should and will win. It's in the Hall, we just lost and fairly badly to a middling UM team on its floor on opening day for UM.

This is opening day in the Hall in the B1G for IU. Do think we'll pull it off.

Also think CAM needs to get this team to the W, at home, against what is basically one of the weaker B1G teams.

That said, I don't think this is a must win game. We're still early in the season. We should win - but I don't see the second B1G season game as a must win.  

On 12/3/2017 at 2:44 AM, milehiiu said:

Yes, that's a strong X's and O's that all of us wanted. CAM is trying to win every single game just like any coach, but he also looks at the bigger picture, which is the entire season and the overall progress. 

This message came to  me from Comcast :  The Iowa Hawkeyes face their first hostile Big Ten crowd of the season at Indiana.Iowa is 1-3 in away/neutral games so far, whe the Hoosiersown a 4-2 record at home. The Hawkeyes and Hoosiers each feature three players averaging double figures.

6 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think we should and will win. It's in the Hall, we just lost and fairly badly to a middling UM team on its floor on opening day for UM.

This is opening day in the Hall in the B1G for IU. Do think we'll pull it off.

Also think CAM needs to get this team to the W, at home, against what is basically one of the weaker B1G teams.

That said, I don't think this is a must win game. We're still early in the season. We should win - but I don't see the second B1G season game as a must win.  

I think it’s a must-win.  I don’t like our chances of beating UL on the road or ND at a neutral site, so a loss here most likely means 5 straight losses.  Then we get IPFW at home, which could honestly extend the losing streak to 6.  And our next 2 conference games are @Wisconsin and @Minnesota.  Have to think that a 5-6 game losing streak and an 0-4 start in conference play would pretty much destroy the team’s confidence, and shut the door on any slight hope we still have of making noise in the B1G or making the tournament.  We have to win this game.

Archived