Big Ten 2020

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I think a lot of guys will pass up on a possible 6th year.  I played D1 baseball for a couple years, and the toll it takes is no joke.  Especially if you are a good student and working hard on your studies.  I was crazy and majored in Chemistry, and 9 months of baseball along with 15+ hours of classes was a non-stop grind.  I would guess a lot of guys will get to the point of an extra year not being worth it.  A lot of players can get a masters in 5 years too, so the extra 6th year would just be a waste of classes.

There is no way I could be a D1 athlete and take organic chemistry. Chem classes are probably some of the hardest classes I took in college. Kudos to you my friend.

1 hour ago, DireBump said:

There is no way I could be a D1 athlete and take organic chemistry. Chem classes are probably some of the hardest classes I took in college. Kudos to you my friend.

I had a spring semester when I took organic chemistry, physics, and biology and had games every weekend. Most of our road trips were 10+ hour bus rides where we'd leave Thursday afternoon and get back Monday mornings around 4 or 5 and have class at 8. It was absolutely brutal.

I'm glad we don't have many seniors who have to make that decision on adding a last minute 5th or 6th year.  I think this season was incredibly important. A lot of players would do an extra year to come back to our team after the year we had and how we're set up for next year. Some of the other teams in the conference, probably not as much. Would you really want to come back for an extra year of Harbaugh?

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wouldn't it be his responsibility to recruit and develop that talent, regardless? 

Of course but he wasn’t there too long was he? Only a year or two during both stints? It’d be like faulting our d-line coach who left for Illinois after only being here a year. 

6 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Of course but he wasn’t there too long was he? Only a year or two during both stints? It’d be like faulting our d-line coach who left for Illinois after only being here a year. 

The last time he was at IU for 4 years. 

I don't understand. If someone's position group, that they coach, is mediocre... That's on them (and the HC). None of us were upset when Hagen left, either time. 

TA LBers were absolutely awesome in the first year he coached them. Jason Jones S's were fantastic in the first year he coached them. Our special teams were much improved the first year Teegardin coached them. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand. If someone's position group, that they coach, is mediocre... That's on them (and the HC). None of us were upset when Hagen left, either time. 

TA LBers were absolutely awesome in the first year he coached them. Jason Jones S's were fantastic in the first year he coached them. Our special teams were much improved the first year Teegardin coached them. 

We’re ecstatic for Hagen to come back to Purdue and that’s all that matters tbh. 

I don't think he's necessarily a bad coach, but in his time here, he just didn't seem like he moved the needle one way or another.  I know I wasn't disappointed to see him go.  At best he had average recruiting and average coaching.  I think we're better off with Peoples, but with Hagen having spent so much time at PU already, maybe that is a better fit for him.

Archived