OT Favorite Comebacks in Sports

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Colts and Manning at Tampa Bay Monday night football.  I kept saying ok we we dont score I going to bed man I was happy I stayed up to witness that performance 

This game is why I never turn the TV off until the game is over.

Cardinals in 2011 coming back from being down 10.5 games with only 32 to play to clinch the wild card.  Cardinals went 18-8 in September while the Braves went 9-18. 

Also Game 6 of the WS that year when the cardinals were down to their last strike on 2 separate occasions and came back to tie it up before Freese’s dinger. 

15 hours ago, btownqb said:

gotta be Red Sox in 04 vs NYY... down 0-3... down 2-0 in the 5th in game 4 win that in 12, down 4-2 in the 6th in game 5 win that in 14.... win 4-2 in game 6 and dominate game 7. 

Whats your favorite?

I was living in Boston and working for the Celtics at this time. Just being in that city during that run was so unbelievable. For about 3 weeks nobody did any work. You'd pass executives in the office and you'd give the "I haven't slept in 2 days" head nod because literally everyone was staying out at bars/restaurants watching the games and they went late into the night. 

The outlook on the Yankees series was crazy too. It was pretty well assumed that Pedro Martinez was leaving the Sox at the end of the season and he was scheduled to be the Game 5 starter. So heading into Game 4 the vibe from fans and sports talk radio was "let's just get Game 4 so we avoid the sweep and we get to see Pedro pitch in Fenway one last time". Then they won Game 4 and heading into Game 5 it was, "I hope Pedro pitches one last gem in Fenway for his last apperance here". 

Then after winning Game 5 that was the first glimmer of "hmmm, if we can just get it to a Game 7 then anything can happen". 

It was just an insane 3 weeks or so in Boston. I've never experienced, before or after, a city of that size and magnitude being that electric. The energy if the entire city was off the charts. 

16 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers vs Knicks when Reggie scored 8 points in 9 seconds.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had my adrenaline pumping when watching sports more than that moment.  The whole thing, all the way to Starks and Spike, was phenomenal.  

Ok, maybe the Keith Smart moment beats it, but it’s up there.  

15 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cardinals in 2011 coming back from being down 10.5 games with only 32 to play to clinch the wild card.  Cardinals went 18-8 in September while the Braves went 9-18. 

Also Game 6 of the WS that year when the cardinals were down to their last strike on 2 separate occasions and came back to tie it up before Freese’s dinger. 

Freese is a fairly marginal player but boy did he come through unbelievably.  If memory serves, isn’t he from St. Louis, which kind of adds to the mystique?

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Freese is a fairly marginal player but boy did he come through unbelievably.  If memory serves, isn’t he from St. Louis, which kind of adds to the mystique?

Yep was a pretty average player overall but came up clutch in the big moment. And yep he’s a St. Louis kid. Went to the same high school as Ryan Howard. 

Jim Edmonds was the guy we traded to get Freese. 

25 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Two run triple to tie it in the 9th...and the game winning homer in the 11th sandwiched around Lance Berkman's single that retied it in the 10th...

If Nelson Cruz could play right field, that game would have been over...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Two run triple to tie it in the 9th...and the game winning homer in the 11th sandwiched around Lance Berkman's single that retied it in the 10th...

If Nelson Cruz could play right field, that game would have been over...

Isn’t it way better that he couldn’t? Haha

Archived