Big Ten: Conference-Only Schedule

KDB

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Not surprised about a conference only schedule.  However, I am surprised with a Fall rather than a Spring schedule.

I think this is best case scenario with Fall conference games only.  I can't see them having any but who knows.  Sounds like they want to leave the door open to play though.  

A shortened Spring season sounds more likely.  It won't be the same for sure but at this point nothing will be.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

Just now, Indy1987 said:

I think this is best case scenario with Fall conference games only.  I can't see them having any but who knows.  Sounds like they want to leave the door open to play though.  

A shortened Spring season sounds more likely.  It won't be the same for sure but at this point nothing will be.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

I believe you have hit the nail on the head.  Options. 

They just killed off a lot of sports at smaller schools that rely on the big pay days playing Big Ten schools. Stanford just check 11 sports what do you think will happen to Mac schools for example. They run their year on trips to Michigan or Ohio St.. If they want just power 5 schools in the NCAA this is a start.

Just now, Indykev said:

They just killed off a lot of sports at smaller schools that rely on the big pay days playing Big Ten schools.

You are correct.  Many smaller schools were struggling already with budgets.  And many have already cut sports.  I feel so bad for the athletes/coaches/athletic dept. employees that will lose scholarships/jobs.  Sure some schools will bring back sports when times are better but many will never come back. 

Go Hoosiers!!!

I don't mind this schedule for this year. So we just replace WKU, UConn, and Ball St with Northwestern, Nebraska or Minnesota? For this year I don't have a problem. 6 wins to bowl berth and quite honestly....some of the brethren over in the West can see what it's like to play Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St in successive weeks for a change.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't mind this schedule for this year. So we just replace WKU, UConn, and Ball St with Northwestern, Nebraska or Minnesota? For this year I don't have a problem. 6 wins to bowl berth and quite honestly....some of the brethren over in the West can see what it's like to play Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St in successive weeks for a change.

My question. It's my understanding that IU's contracts with non conference opponents guarantee them a certain amount of money.  That's one reason they come to B-town to play us.  So do we still have to honor the guarantee ?   And what about about our other non conference game on the road against UCONN ?  Will they have to pay IU ?

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

My question. It's my understanding that IU's contracts with non conference opponents guarantee them a certain amount of money.  That's one reason they come to B-town to play us.  So do we still have to honor the guarantee ?   And what about about our other non conference game on the road against UCONN ?  Will they have to pay IU ?

My guess is insurance or extremely reduced buyout. That's what somebody already mentioned.....all those dozens and dozens of programs that schedule those games for big paydays and won't get them. Tough, tough year coming. CoachSS....don't be a stranger. Your tweet has me very concerned. 

57 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

While I understand that FB is not normally a Spring sport.  Due to the pandemic, should FB be moved to the Spring. I can't see how this could apply to FB players as well :

IU to spend approximately $900,000 to honor scholarships for returning spring seniors - The Crimson Quarry

Well it would be hard for football players because of the NFL draft being in April.  Pretty much after football is over the players are going to train for the draft so if they move football to spring it would hurt players who are going to the draft.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Wonder how this would affect the qualifications to go to a bowl game.  Now you have to win at least  6 games but if we only play conference games this could affect the big ten on how many bowl eligible teams they have.

Which tells me something else is brewing. First we hope we have a season. If we don't....my assumption is bowl games might be gone this year or maybe reduce bowl requirement to 5? Choppy waters coming. 

26 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Archived