Give me a great American.

milehiiu

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Madison22 said:

My step-father.

He was a WW 2 captain.  Battle of the Bulge, a winter affair from December 1944 to January 1945.  Horrible conditions.

He commanded one of several companies, with each company between 100 and 200 soldiers.  Over a thousand men.  Many poorly dressed for the cold.

The companies were ambushed by a huge German front.  90% US causalities.

The other captains were killed.  My step-father was the only one of his rank to survive.  He took command of the remnants of all the companies, rolled them into one brand new company, and got them back to safety.  Through bitter cold, snow, snipers, and ongoing attacks.

End of story?  Not yet.

They did get back to safety.  Nearly all were wounded.  Many frostbitten.  They had a few days to eat and sleep.  Most thought they were done with the war.

Then my step-father received his orders.  He had to go tell those men they were going right back into the war zone they just escaped from.  Every man was needed.  No exceptions.  And he would lead them. 

Incredibly, they followed him.  Knowing full well what might be waiting for them. 

He survived the war (as did most of the men in the new company).  He had a wonderful career in Indiana as an educator.  I never heard him raise his voice, or say a disparaging word against anyone.  He lived to nearly 80, and hundreds came to his funeral.  Before he died, they tried to name a school after him, but he said no.  

I think of him often.  He was kind and compassionate.  Just a farm boy thrust into a war like everyone else.  But that moment when he went to those troops and said "Get your gear, we're heading back out." 

I can't imagine.  

Thank you, HSN, for letting me share his story.  I don't want to give his name, or identify myself, but this all happened.   

An incredible story and thank you for sharing. Thank you to your step father for his sacrifice and service to our country. A true American Hero and an outstanding human being and role model. 

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

because in the cancel society what most of us feel were great Americans are looked at differently. 

I think that's because most of them don't really have a grasp of history and the novel idea The Great Experiment was when this country came about.

They also don't understand that due to the times, the "All Men are Created Equal" idea was going to take a while to come to fruition...

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Before heading out to Texas.  Davey Crocket did a lot to settle this great country of ours.  Then at the Alamo, he and Jim Bowie, along with other brave Americans, helped shape the history of Texas.

Texans appreciated him so much they named a town and a forest after him... 

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

From sports

Jackie Robinson 

Lou Gehrig 

Vince Lombardi 

Jackie broke the color barrier.... and not just in baseball.

Lou as he was dying : "This is the proudest day of my life".

Vince, being Vince : "What the hell is going on here ?"

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

Jackie broke the color barrier.... and not just in baseball.

Lou as he was dying : "This is the proudest day of my life".

Vince, being Vince : "What the hell is going on here ?"

Absolutely on all 3.  The Lou Gehrig speech is one of my favorite moments ever in sports.  Jackie’s impact and greatness needs no explanation.  I’m not a Packers guy but I love Vince and can’t get enough of the 1960s Packers with Jimmy Taylor and Paul Hornung and company.  

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In today's culture it's very hard to say who a great American is because in the cancel society what most of us feel were great Americans are looked at differently.  I wonder what my grandkids will learn in US history??

Jim Lovell would be a great American 

We will overlook the fact that he went to Purdue.  Was a decorated Naval pilot.  And the first American to walk on the surface of the moon. "One small step for man, and one huge step for mankind".   Neil Armstrong. 

This is random.  I’m proud of so many Hoosiers but about my favorite Hoosier of all time is Ryan White.  His story makes me emotional.  He was a remarkable young man.  What he did in the climate of that time, and the grace, maturity and dignity of how he handled himself, was truly remarkable.   One of my favorite Hoosiers ever.  

14 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Carl Sandburg. Won a Pulitzer for his bio of Abraham Lincoln.  At his death President Johnson said Carl was more than an American.... he was America.

There’s a Carl Sandburg high school not far from me in the Chicago Burbs.   I want to say Dan Feeney and/or Tevin Coleman went there.  

Eleanor Roosevelt.   She’s neck and neck with Teddy (love Teddy) as my favorite Roosevelt of all time.   I respect how FDR rose to the occasion under stress but I’m not a huge fan.  I feel like Eleanor had the goods to be a president herself but of course that would never have been considered then.  You look at Merkel and Thatcher, and as a leader, Eleanor could have done it.  She was also Teddy’s direct niece and not a far distant cousin like FDR was.  

21 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

In today's culture it's very hard to say who a great American is because in the cancel society what most of us feel were great Americans are looked at differently.  I wonder what my grandkids will learn in US history??

Jim Lovell would be a great American 

I think the courage and sacrifice that those astronauts showed is phenomenal.  Remember they had a lot of blowups on other practice runs as they were getting ready by doing tests.  They took an amazing risk for the good of humanity.  God bless all of them. 

Archived