What's your favorite car tire manufacturer ?

milehiiu

Weird topic.  I KNOW !   But isn't that what the Animal House is all about ?

Back in the dark ages , I would switch between Firestone and Goodyear.  Had each blow out on me while traveling at high speeds on Interstates. With tons of tire tread on them.   I am still here.  But can't tell you the terror and surprise when it happened.

Switched to Michelin.  Never have had a problem.  They last for ever.  And I will never go back to any other car tire.

What about you Hoosier Sports Nation ?

Like you Mile, I used to use lots of different brands. Firestone for a while, a private label once, and then discovered Michelins. Love 'em. Tried a set of Good Year's on my truck. Took it back 3 times to have them rebalanced. Discovered there was an internal bubble in 2 of the tires. Dealer replaced the whole set. I took them back after a week because they felt like I was riding in a tri-axle dmp truck, not an F150, and put Michelins back on it.

oh how quickly this could get derailed.  

I get the cheapest tire that they sell for my car.  I haven't kept a vehicle long enough in the last ten years for it to matter.   Not exactly a strategy Dave Ramsey would approve of on movimg vehicles so much but I usually am in the green on vehicles.  currently have an SUV worth around 15k paid for and took over a gm retirees lease on a truck at literally $86 a month.  I'm under mileage so I've extended the lease 6 months.  So won't need tires on the truck when I turn it in.  sorry to derail.   

I used Cooper tires for longest time. 

Now, if I buy new, its General Grabbers for the truck and whatever is cheap for the car. 

But I got in a cycle of buying used, so whatever the shop has. I buy them in pairs and have to replace about every 2 yrs. Havent paid more than $100 mounted and balanced.  My favorite so far is Bridgestone. 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

As far as tires, Michelin, Continental, Yokohama are my favorites.

Wife's new truck (Toyota Tacoma) came with Firestones on it. Never heard of Toyota using them, but they're quiet and ride nice.

If ever buying a new vehicle. That does not have Michelin's on them. DEMAND the dealership to put Michelin's on them. Or you will not purchase the vehicle.

I did this once. They balked. As I walked out. And the sales manager ran out to me... saying he would change the tires to Michelin's

9 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I put Falkens on my truck 2 years ago and have been happy with them. Thought about the Michelin but wanted something more aggressive looking. Had never even heard of Falken until then. Great in the snow!

Colorado here. Run all season Michelin's, the entire year.   Not just great for snow.  But also for rain.

Not sure I have heard about Falkens. Michelin's are kind of pricey. But worth every penny, IMHO.  Thanks for you contribution. Hope it helps other HSN members, when it comes to deciding on a tire.

Continue to stay safe.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

As far as tires, Michelin, Continental, Yokohama are my favorites.

Wife's new truck (Toyota Tacoma) came with Firestones on it. Never heard of Toyota using them, but they're quiet and ride nice.

Run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my AMG, they both grab the road and last a good year. Continentals and Yokohama’s lasted like 4 months. Michelins are excellent tires. Pirellis are nice as well 

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Run Michelin Pilot Super Sports on my AMG, they both grab the road and last a good year. Continentals and Yokohama’s lasted like 4 months. Michelins are excellent tires. Pirellis are nice as well 

Lead foot 😁

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

My friends and I always called those "Maypops" regardless of the brand...

I always use discount tire and they take care of me.  One trick I use is find a cheap tire that isn't in stock and go talk to the guys at the desk.  They almost always say, "well I have such and such tire that is slightly better in stock, I'll give it to you for the same price if you want it today." 

uh, ok.  

edit, meant to add, discount tire is great when squeezing out value of manufacturer warranty, with or without their certificates.  I have had them hook me up a few times over the last 12 years.

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

I always use discount tire and they take care of me.  One trick I use is find a cheap tire that isn't in stock and go talk to the guys at the desk.  They almost always say, "well I have such and such tire that is slightly better in stock, I'll give it to you for the same price if you want it today." 

uh, ok.  

Discount Tire is my "go to" as well...I've had that same scenario...

Took my car in there the other day (nail in the rear drivers side tire) and they fixed it free...They were the OEM tires that came on the car new, but I've been buying tires from them for over 20 years...they take care of me...

Had Trail Grapplers back in the day on some lifted trucks. Super Swampers also. I don’t get off-road much if any so I buy the Terre Grappler G2 for the smooth quiet ride while also having traction for the white stuff. I have them on two of our 4 wheel drive vehicles and they are as smooth but quieter than the Michelin’s on the wife’s Cadillac.  

Just don’t ever buy the Michelin run flats unless buying for your teenager. The piece of mind is nice at first but unless your on a new paved road or have the radio cranked, the noise will make you hate them. Concrete roads and bridges will make you think you have a dry hub bearing that’s about to go. I mean, why in the world they would be put on brand new Cadillacs from the dealer is nutso. Those tires can ruin a cars ride. I think Michelin makes the best all weather tires right now but they can dig a hole and bury their run flats.

Don't have a Jeep @Hoosierhoopster. But we have a H3 that the wife drives when the roads are bad in the winter. It looks pretty good with the G2 tires mounted on 20” Rockstars. 

11 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Discount Tire is my "go to" as well...I've had that same scenario...

Took my car in there the other day (nail in the rear drivers side tire) and they fixed it free...They were the OEM tires that came on the car new, but I've been buying tires from them for over 20 years...they take care of me...

Glad you guys talked about Discount Tire.  Has been my go to place for years.  Outstanding customer service.  When buying tires, you are in and out in no time. Unless they are extremely busy.  Another thing.  Free air checks. Go in. Tell them who you are. They check their computer to make sure you are a customer.  And then the employee actually runs out to check your tire thread.... and tire pressure.  Need air ?  They do it for you. 

I've got tires at Discount Tire, NTB, and Costco. I have been going to NTB for years for non dealer service and they are close. Typically my first stop. Got Michelins for my wife at Costco the last time around. They give you free Nitrogen and tire checks. Pretty limited in the selection though. 

Archived