Favorite Pasta

Drroogh

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Reacher said:

Lasagna (meat) for me hands down. I prefer the restaurants that understand quantity along with quality. Too often you just get a small portion while others get a take home portion of their pasta. Maggiano's is the first restaurant that came to mind. 

It's hard to beat Maggiano's lasagna. Good meat sauce...not sugary. They also get the ratio right. 

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

It's hard to beat Maggiano's lasagna. Good meat sauce...not sugary. They also get the ratio right. 

2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Maggiano's is the first restaurant that came to mind. 

I agree. Use to go to the one in Naperville on Freedom Dr all the time when we lived in Chicagoland...

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

And I have to put a plug in for a pasta that they serve in any Portillo's that have a Barnelli's Pasta in them...Peasant Pasta rocks...

I have never had this. It's just too hard for not to go into Portillos and not order a beef and cheese fries. 

24 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Anyone ever made their own pasta from scratch?  

I have only done ravioli.  Made ravioli in vodka sauce and an Italian cheesecake for an anniversary.  It's fun but I'm pretty messy about it. 

I haven't but my Mom does all the time. She's made it in my kitchen a couple of times and the mess gives me anxiety. But speaking of homemade - my favorite sauce is our family recipe that's been passed down for generations. Better than any restaurant. I can't tell you the recipe, but I can tell you what makes it good: simmering hot italian sausage and hunks of chuck roast in it for hours until the meat falls apart. 

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I have never had this. It's just too hard for not to go into Portillos and not order a beef and cheese fries. 

PEASANT PASTA

Choice cuts of Italian sausage, chicken breast & pancetta seared and then mixed with escarole, garlic, cannellini beans & rigatoni carefully cooked in a white wine broth. The simple dish with a royal taste.

Screenshot_20200821-105514.png

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I agree. Use to go to the one in Naperville on Freedom Dr all the time when we lived in Chicagoland...

Been to many meetings at that location as well as Oak Brook. Always hit or miss whether lasagna will be on the menu for a corporate meeting, however. 

5 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have only done ravioli.  Made ravioli in vodka sauce and an Italian cheesecake for an anniversary.  It's fun but I'm pretty messy about it. 

It's a LOT of work for very little pasta, but also fun way to spend an hour or so. We got a hand crank pasta maker a long time ago, but have only made pasta a few times. Good to split a bottle of wine while you are making the pasta. We did ravioli too, incredibly tasty.

My wife's specialty is Cacio et Pepe - insanely good and peppery!

19 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I usually make mine from scratch. 1 egg, 1 cup of flour, and a little salt. I like the taste, and I like being able to make all kinds of different shaped and sized pasta depending on what dish I'm making.

Hand pulled noodles are on my bucket list of things to make, but I'm not at that level yet.

Archived