Grant Documentary?

btownqb

36 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I deleted it because the first comment implied grant was a slave owner which is malarkey.

Oh wow. That is entirely not true. I loved the documentary and was happy I was able to learn so much from it. I didn't realize how much he truly won the war for the North and I didn't realize how influential he was in reconstruction. 

I knew he was a major part of the war, but his victories in TN and MS... and then going out east to kick REL's a**. Our country might be in a completely different spot if it were for his military mind and then his vision after the war. 

Always liked this concerning Lincoln and Grant...

"A committee of abolition war managers waited upon the President and demanded the General’s removal, on the false charge that he was a whiskey drinker, and little better than a common drunkard. “Ah!” exclaimed Honest Old Abe, “you surprise me, gentlemen. But can you tell me where he gets his whiskey?” “We cannot, Mr. President. But why do you desire to know?” “Because, if I can only find out, I will send a barrel of this wonderful whiskey to every general in the army.”

15 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Oh wow. That is entirely not true. I loved the documentary and was happy I was able to learn so much from it. I didn't realize how much he truly won the war for the North and I didn't realize how influential he was in reconstruction. 

I knew he was a major part of the war, but his victories in TN and MS... and then going out east to kick REL's a**. Our country might be in a completely different spot if it were for his military mind and then his vision after the war. 

The western theatre is largely ignored but Grant pretty much tore it up while everyone was focused on the eastern theatre and R.E Lee.

I have been to Appomattox courthouse where they have the desk used set up in the room where Lee surrendered to Grant. You can get a guide and follow the route Lee took from Petersburg.  Can go to the spot where Lee had his final meeting with his generals. Recommend stopping if close by. 

3 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

They were.  Supposedly his parents didn't even attend his wedding because of it.  They were big abolitionists.

Thanks for verifying what my "education" taught me.  My HS history teacher once said that Grant's marriage was the epitome of the Civil War.  

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have been to Appomattox courthouse where they have the desk used set up in the room where Lee surrendered to Grant. You can get a guide and follow the route Lee took from Petersburg.  Can go to the spot where Lee had his final meeting with his generals. Recommend stopping if close by. 

I've stood at the end of the field where Pickett made his faithful charge on the third day at Gettysburg...General Longstreet's words to Robert E Lee went through my head...

"General, I have been a soldier all my life. I have been with soldiers engaged in fights by couples, by squads, companies, regiments, divisions, and armies, and should know, as well as any one, what soldiers can do. It is my opinion that no fifteen thousand men ever arrayed for battle can take that position."

Turning point of the war...

Wilmer McLean

The Civil War seemed to stalk unfortunate Wilmer McLean, who could say that the conflict began in his front yard and ended in his front parlor. Forty-six-year-old Wilmer McLean was too old to serve the Confederacy when the Civil War broke out in 1861, but in short order, the conflict arrived at his doorstep.
We have been fortunate enough to see both places as well as several battle sites including Gettysburg.  Grant is Ayden all time favorite man in history 

Archived