2018, 2019, 2020 Recruiting

Indykev

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Are we sort of at a recruiting low point right now for CAM?  Things just dont seem to be trending our way.  

I think it is that CAM hasn’t really identified or showed how he wants to play at IU. Kids are not sure how they fit and will be utilized. We just don’t have much of an identity on offense and more than anything kids want to know where their shots will come from and how they can take that next step to the nba. CAMhad a golden opportunity to showcase Romeo and show high ranked kids what kind of role a dominant scorer could have on the team but most of the time Romeo drifted on the perimeter and didn’t impose himself nor did we do enough to open up the floor for him. If you are a top 25 kid...do you trust CAM to put you in position to succeed....hard to say that yet..he will need a few years to develop this team and their roles before kids can say...sure I can take that role and run with it.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

I think it is that CAM hasn’t really identified or showed how he wants to play at IU. Kids are not sure how they fit and will be utilized. We just don’t have much of an identity on offense and more than anything kids want to know where their shots will come from and how they can take that next step to the nba. CAMhad a golden opportunity to showcase Romeo and show high ranked kids what kind of role a dominant scorer could have on the team but most of the time Romeo drifted on the perimeter and didn’t impose himself nor did we do enough to open up the floor for him. If you are a top 25 kid...do you trust CAM to put you in position to succeed....hard to say that yet..he will need a few years to develop this team and their roles before kids can say...sure I can take that role and run with it.

Have you considered that plan became what it was because of Romeo’s thumb? What if Cam was protecting him so he didn’t lose stock value!

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Have you considered that plan became what it was because of Romeo’s thumb? What if Cam was protecting him so he didn’t lose stock value!

Who knows...I doubt Archie was protecting Romeos draft stock. Romeo could have just sat and got the surgery if he wanted to do that...I mean Garland missed the whole season and didn’t really lose value. Romeo’s shooting issues and the lack of shooting and talent around him allowed teams to game plan against him and force him to his right and into help. We just didn’t have the ability to free him up and allow him to get to places on the court that he liked. Whatever the case Romeos season in the eyes of anyone not an IU apologetic would clearly be seen as less than impressive...and that won’t help on the recruiting trail...until we have the program in a place where Archie’s offense is running smoothly it will be hard to sell recruits on how they will fit in and benefit from playing here. Hopefully this year Archie can get things a little more consistent and his offense in place. Having the whole offense surrounded around two kids with no help really didn’t turn out well.

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

Who knows...I doubt Archie was protecting Romeos draft stock. Romeo could have just sat and got the surgery if he wanted to do that...I mean Garland missed the whole season and didn’t really lose value. Romeo’s shooting issues and the lack of shooting and talent around him allowed teams to game plan against him and force him to his right and into help. We just didn’t have the ability to free him up and allow him to get to places on the court that he liked. Whatever the case Romeos season in the eyes of anyone not an IU apologetic would clearly be seen as less than impressive...and that won’t help on the recruiting trail...until we have the program in a place where Archie’s offense is running smoothly it will be hard to sell recruits on how they will fit in and benefit from playing here. Hopefully this year Archie can get things a little more consistent and his offense in place. Having the whole offense surrounded around two kids with no help really didn’t turn out well.

I don’t think this falls on CAM at all. If you follow IU Basketball or college basketball closely, you know that we did not have shooters or much talent around him. CAM is in year 2, so one recruiting class of his was on the floor. In year 4 if that still happens, then maybe it’s a valid point. RL also hurt himself with the inability to consistently knock down shots, which appears may have been injury related. If that is the case, once again not CAM’s fault.

3 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

You are about to hear his name a lot more around these parts...

Thanks Coach.  I was not aware.  But, now... thanks to you, now I am. 

I know it has been said before by others. But we all appreciate all that you bring to our board.

18 hours ago, HoosierJax said:

North Oldham...Goshen,Kentucky.. .#1 ranked player in Kentucky for '20

He is a talented kid but I think we are on better players in 2020. I wouldn’t take him over Leal...and I just don’t see us taking both Leal and Galloway because they play so similar and I think Leal is more athletic and a better player than Galloway...so I see  us taking him.

On 4/27/2019 at 5:38 PM, CoachSS said:

You are about to hear his name a lot more around these parts...

Seen a lot of his highlights...has a little Carson Edwards in him...super quick and gets to the basket. He will have a much harder time finishing in college though. At 5”11 he is going to need that long game if he is to get an offer. Personally I’d hold out for Landers...I’d rather bring in a grad transfer next year if we don’t land someone to back up the point like Morton for example.

Just a general comment about recruiting. The 5 stars will still be the 5 stars but with new NCAA calendar regarding recruiting, limited time for coaches to see recruits,etc.....is it fair to say recruiting rankings for the 30-150 range moving forward will be less of an indicator now more than ever? If the coaches can't see them as often I'd assume the ranking analysts can't either. To me it says we shouldn't get tied up anymore about a kid ranked at 46 vs 96. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a general comment about recruiting. The 5 stars will still be the 5 stars but with new NCAA calendar regarding recruiting, limited time for coaches to see recruits,etc.....is it fair to say recruiting rankings for the 30-150 range moving forward will be less of an indicator now more than ever? If the coaches can't see them as often I'd assume the ranking analysts can't either. To me it says we shouldn't get tied up anymore about a kid ranked at 46 vs 96. 

I believe recruiting analysts can see them whenever. I don’t think they have the same rules as coaches.

I heard an interview on the radio on the way home with Rabjohns. Here are a few highlights. 

* He would be shocked if Trendon ended up anywhere other than LSU. 🤮

* He said most of the behind the scenes chatter involving Quinones points toward Memphis. 

* He was asked what IU would do in 19 with the two open scholarships if both of the above don’t come here. He said IU is looking at a couple of grad transfers, but he wasn’t going to mention their names because it might not matter. He said IU doesn’t grant special athletic waivers on grades to grad transfers so the guys we are looking at might not even be able to get into grad school. Sounds like we are in the minority with this policy.  

* He was very high in RJ Davis. 

28 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I heard an interview on the radio on the way home with Rabjohns. Here are a few highlights. 

* He would be shocked if Trendon ended up anywhere other than LSU. 🤮

* He said most of the behind the scenes chatter involving Quinones points toward Memphis. 

* He was asked what IU would do in 19 with the two open scholarships if both of the above don’t come here. He said IU is looking at a couple of grad transfers, but he wasn’t going to mention their names because it might not matter. He said IU doesn’t grant special athletic waivers on grades to grad transfers so the guys we are looking at might not even be able to get into grad school. Sounds like we are in the minority with this policy.  

* He was very high in RJ Davis. 

Well hopefully Archie can pull some magic tomorrow with LQ. I'll leave the Trendon stuff alone. Going there right just won't make any sense to me. Part about academic hindrances isn't good. Sounds like we should just focus on what we got. 

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Well hopefully Archie can pull some magic tomorrow with LQ. I'll leave the Trendon stuff alone. Going there right just won't make any sense to me. Part about academic hindrances isn't good. Sounds like we should just focus on what we got. 

I forgot to mention he thought it was a real possibility we only use 11 scholarships next year if we miss on Q and Wat. 

Archived