Refrigerator

dbmhoosier

4 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

So our power went out for about 18 hours.  Power has now been on for about 12 hours but our GE refrigerator does not get cold.  Anyone have any suggestions on a possible fix?  Again it powers on fine but won't get cold.

I know I won't be able to help you at all on this one....I've got to buy a fridge/freezer, dishwasher, and microwave in coming months because all 3 are starting to give signs of trouble coming. Hopefully black friday deals are great this year. Just need to last another 6 weeks!

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I know I won't be able to help you at all on this one....I've got to buy a fridge/freezer, dishwasher, and microwave in coming months because all 3 are starting to give signs of trouble coming. Hopefully black friday deals are great this year. Just need to last another 6 weeks!

I was going wait until Black Friday as well but started to look around and Lowe's had the double oven, microwave and range top we wanted on sale with an extra $500 off. Looked comparable to Best Buys Black Friday sale so we ordered. With a shortage of appliances this year, many are not even going on sale so figured we would get now while we can. 

1 minute ago, Reacher said:

I was going wait until Black Friday as well but started to look around and Lowe's had the double oven, microwave and range top we wanted on sale with an extra $500 off. Looked comparable to Best Buys Black Friday sale so we ordered. With a shortage of appliances this year, many are not even going on sale so figured we would get now while we can. 

Smart move. I'm just now in the pricing part of the process....but as anyone knows once you do the fridge/freezer, dishwasher,etc....stuff it's only a matter of time before the comment why don't we just do the entire kitchen i.e. counter tops, etc...as well. I know it needs to be done but what innocently started as pricing fridges has innocently turned into 4-5x the cost. Haha.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Yeah I'll look at those.  I've been told LG and Samsung ones have serious reliability issues. 

I can only lend personal firsthand experience...

Samsung-Bought one in 2004 for as house we had built in Montgomery, Illinois...Replaced a circuit board after 8 years...Only issue we had and it went through 8 years with us, 6 with a renter, and was sold with the house in 2018.

LG-Bought one 4 years ago to replace a GE that still works (beer fridge now) but the icemaker/water dispenser are dead. The LG has been trouble free. Got a killer deal on it on Memorial day a few years back (and both Home Depot and Lowes will give veterans an additional 10% off on anything).

I was young. But old enough to remember.  When we actually had an ice box.  The ice man came twice a week. In the summer with a carriage drawn by a horse. Really ! It was an event.... hearing the clip clop of the horse coming down the street.

Big event.  Switching out the ice box for a refrigerator.  Most in the family called it a "fridge".  Dad always referred to it as the "Ice Box". 

Archived