ND post game thread

Indykev

From the ND perspective......as usual Colson came to play.  Very fundamentally sound squad, but as I watched the game at a friend's house(ND fan) he kept harping on Pflueger(sp?).  My buddy was livid the entire game about that guys play.  But anyway during the course of conversation he said that he predicted Notre Dame to finish 4th in the ACC before the season started.  After yesterday's game he dropped them down to 6th.  Just giving you guys/girls what a Notre Dame fan was thinking/expressing.  Great win and one helluva game period.  Time to seek some revenge on those Mastodons.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, rico said:

From the ND perspective......as usual Colson came to play.  Very fundamentally sound squad, but as I watched the game at a friend's house(ND fan) he kept harping on Pflueger(sp?).  My buddy was livid the entire game about that guys play.  But anyway during the course of conversation he said that he predicted Notre Dame to finish 4th in the ACC before the season started.  After yesterday's game he dropped them down to 6th.  Just giving you guys/girls what a Notre Dame fan was thinking/expressing.  Great win and one helluva game period.  Time to seek some revenge on those Mastodons.

I did think it was strange that the Pflueger kid passed up a bunch of open threes to try and drive it into the post and get stuffed.  I just looked up his stats, and he’s not a bad three point shooter, shooting 39.7% last year and 33.3% this year.  I still think we give up a few too many open looks, but it’s miles better than it was to start the season.

36 minutes ago, rico said:

The bigger question is how could you watch a game with a golden domer? The fan base is one of the most judgmental and hypocritical, the only other fan base I can’t stand more is UM grizzlies fans, I really hate those lefty fruit douche tools. 

Great win yesterday!! Go Hoosiers!!

Just now, Montana Hoosier said:

The bigger question is how could you watch a game with a golden domer? The fan base is one of the most judgmental and hypocritical, the only other fan base I can’t stand more is UM grizzlies fans, I really hate those lefty fruit douche tools. 

Great win yesterday!! Go Hoosiers!!

Pretty simple really, I grew up with him.

43 minutes ago, rico said:

Pfleuger was 1 of 8 for 2 points- well below his average. McRoberts was the primary defender on him and you have to credit his defense for forcing Pfleuger to spots he was uncomfortable with. Your friend shoiuld have been giving credit to McRoberts!

50 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Pfleuger was 1 of 8 for 2 points- well below his average. McRoberts was the primary defender on him and you have to credit his defense for forcing Pfleuger to spots he was uncomfortable with. Your friend shoiuld have been giving credit to McRoberts!

I don't know. I finally watched the game last night after work. I have to agree with FW_Hoosier. Pfleuger passed up several wide open 3's.

From memory, he seemed to play with a bit of arrogance, in a good way. He seemed out of character and passive yesterday. He can shoot, but just kept passing them up.

With IU using the pack line defense, we can often be vulnerable to the three. Yet, he just didn' take advantage of it for some reason.

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I don't know. I finally watched the game last night after work. I have to agree with FW_Hoosier. Pfleuger passed up several wide open 3's.

From memory, he seemed to play with a bit of arrogance, in a good way. He seemed out of character and passive yesterday. He can shoot, but just kept passing them up.

With IU using the pack line defense, we can often be vulnerable to the three. Yet, he just didn' take advantage of it for some reason.

McRoberts was in his head. :D

3 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I don't know. I finely watched the game last night after work. Pfleuger passed up several wide open 3's.

I watched the game again this morning and focused on Pflueger.  I just don't understand it with the open looks he had.  I surmise that he didn't feel comfortable with the "rims".  I have played in gyms before that nothing seemed to fall for me.

9 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

He was open when he received the ball, but I thought McRoberts was able to close out on him pretty well. 

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

“Lefty?” 

They’re (presumably) Catholic. 😳🙏😉

I think he meant the Grizzlies fans? I always chuckle when someone lobs a political insult out of context at someone as if people of differing view points aren't worth talking to in any respect if they don't share your political or religious beliefs. 

What a game.  I had to refresh my phone every few seconds to get the updates.  That is so much more stressful than watching or listening. 

Reading some comments about Notre Dame fans  and stuff. I am one of those people that get made fun of for having the "reversible " IU Notre Dame jacket.   Growing up in South eastern part of the state and the good old days of 3 to 5 channels every IU Basketball game was on tv and every Notre Dame football game us.  As a sports fan these 2 programs became everything to me. Those were the only 2 schools I applied to college at. I would rather be a fan and support either school than to attend a d2 or d3 school and continue playing.  I framed my rejection letter from ND and proudly display it next to my IU Degrees. 

Great coaching is starting to pay off.  Defense was the best it has been so far.  Morgan played probably his best game ever, but don't know if he can repeat it.  What happened to Davis?  It was like he wasn't even there until right at the end.  This game only goes to prove that if a few shots start to drop from the outside then this team can win games.  Not like Louisville, which should have also been a win.  For now, just beat Ft Wayne etc and then go to Wisconsin and beat a definitely beatable Badger team.  Then on to Minny.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I think he meant the Grizzlies fans? I always chuckle when someone lobs a political insult out of context at someone as if people of differing view points aren't worth talking to in any respect if they don't share your political or religious beliefs. 

Ahhh! Gotcha.

Yeah, I chuckle at the same thing. We’re being so programmed to just dislike and distrust so much on political spec. I’m tired of all that. People are people, most of them land way closer to the center than the they do to the fringes. 

Not trying at all to make this thread political, by the by. 

6 minutes ago, IUguy said:

Great coaching is starting to pay off.  Defense was the best it has been so far.  Morgan played probably his best game ever, but don't know if he can repeat it.  What happened to Davis?  It was like he wasn't even there until right at the end.  This game only goes to prove that if a few shots start to drop from the outside then this team can win games.  Not like Louisville, which should have also been a win.  For now, just beat Ft Wayne etc and then go to Wisconsin and beat a definitely beatable Badger team.  Then on to Minny.

It wasn’t a good matchup for Davis. Both of ND’s bigs spend a lot of time on the perimeter in the pick and roll and can shoot. Not a good idea to have Davis out hedging on screens beyond the three point line and then trying to get back to their bigs. I’d expect that to happen with Davis when we play more perimeter oriented teams with good shooting bigs. 

Also, with Morgan playing so well offensively on the block, it might get difficult to play those two together for extended periods. It clogs things up having two guys down there. Assuming they’re both here next year, nobody would benefit more from Morgan developing his perimeter shooting than Davis. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It wasn’t a good matchup for Davis. Both of ND’s bigs spend a lot of time on the perimeter in the pick and roll and can shoot. Not a good idea to have Davis out hedging on screens beyond the three point line and then trying to get back to their bigs. I’d expect that to happen with Davis when we play more perimeter oriented teams with good shooting bigs. 

Also, with Morgan playing so well offensively on the block, it might get difficult to play those two together for extended periods. It clogs things up having two guys down there. Assuming they’re both here next year, nobody would benefit more from Morgan developing his perimeter shooting than Davis. 

This. I love the way Archie is playing matchups game to game. Flat out putting us in the best position to win.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The mark of a good to great head coach is the ability to recognize bad matchups.  As you pointed out, and was the case with De'Ron against Notre Dame. Not one to take anything away from De'Ron... I think it was good of Miller not to put De'Ron  in a situation of failure.  De'Ron, who is a good free throw shooter, is already struggling with an admitted mental issue over his free throw shooting this year.  No need to give him more to think about in terms of his overall game.  By the way, and conversely...when Miller inserted De'Ron in the game in overtime, it not only showed confidence in De'Ron, but De'Ron rewarded that confidence with a power move to the bucket, which put IU ahead at that crucial time of the game. 

20 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I don't know why Morgan couldn't repeat it. He is playing as good individually as anyone in the conference right now over many games now. It looks like we are starting to seek out getting him touches, too, so things may get even better. 

24 minutes ago, IUguy said:

I don't know why Morgan couldn't repeat it. He is playing as good individually as anyone in the conference right now over many games now. It looks like we are starting to seek out getting him touches, too, so things may get even better. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Agree. This isn't the first time he's had a game similar to Notre Dame either.

vs Ark St.: 0.85 points/min

@ Michigan: 0.75 points/min

@ Louisville: 0.74 points/min

vs ND: 0.85 points/min

And since the Arkansas St. game, he hasn't had a FG% less than 50% in any game. His game/success is more repeatable than anyone else's on our team. He works hard on the glass. All of his points come at the FT line or closer. He's not really dependent on teammates getting him the ball on the block like DeRon is. He gets fouled because he's quicker and more agile than other big men and has some finesse to his post game. Him being undersized probably helps get some calls as well. He then knocks those FTs down at a decent rate. Juwan isn't repeating those numbers against a player like Bagley, but even so, he had a very respectable line against the probable future #1 pick. 

Archived