Providence

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really looking forward to this tournament.  The list of teams IU could face will be a great test and give a good indication how the remainder of the season could play out.  

Kenpom has IU at #25, Providence at #46, Texas at #8, Davidson at #83, Stanford at #35, UNC at #21, Alabama #48 and UNLV at #136.  Outside of UNLV and possibly Davidson I'd say IU, Texas or UNC have the best chance to win the Maui tourney.  

13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Check out the Maui bracket, schedule, background on Providence and Archie Miller's thoughts on the field as IU gets set to face its first high level competition.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-ready-to-take-on-really-really-talented-maui-invitational-field/

@The Daily Hoosier, do we know if Brunk is going to play?

I think Providence fans get a little carried away with Nate Watson's line from the Fairfield game, but it'd be nice to have a big like Joey available on both ends...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Providence fans get a little carried away with Nate Watson's line from the Fairfield game, but it'd be nice to have a big like Joey available on both ends...

Believe the plan is for Brunk to play, he was just out for the first game so he didn't hurt a very minor back ache

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Believe the plan is for Brunk to play, he was just out for the first game so he didn't hurt a very minor back ache

Don't get me wrong, I want Brunk to play and think his size, hustle, and added leadership all will help the team, but the team needs to continue what we saw in our opening game, with using the fast break / transition and our guard / wing play to open the floor. Emphasizing the front court is not the way to beat Providence, or to continue to grow the team into the winning program everyone wants to see.

20 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Don't get me wrong, I want Brunk to play and think his size, hustle, and added leadership all will help the team, but the team needs to continue what we saw in our opening game, with using the fast break / transition and our guard / wing play to open the floor. Emphasizing the front court is not the way to beat Providence, or to continue to grow the team into the winning program everyone wants to see.

I hear you, and I agree...But Watson could present a problem, and having 3 pretty good bigs to confront him is in our favor...

I was encouraged by the mid range jumper that TJD hit in the Tennessee Tech game...More of that will open it up as well...And I was surprised that we didn't see Race test his range in the opener...

38 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

yeah.  i put myself in the fan of Brunk group, but with this roster, it probably helps to have him in only opposite of TJD.  i personally don't mind them playing together as much as most do, but we can definitely play fast all 40 minutes if we want and only have 1 of them on at a time.  

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I hear you, and I agree...But Watson could present a problem, and having 3 pretty good bigs to confront him is in our favor...

I was encouraged by the mid range jumper that TJD hit in the Tennessee Tech game...More of that will open it up as well...And I was surprised that we didn't see Race test his range in the opener...

Watson could present a problem, but to read anything into his first game doesn't make sense.

He put up that stat line again a 6'9 200 lb 2 Star freshman and a 6'10 190 lb sophomore who averaged 4 and 4 as a freshman. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

We just know what we were told after the first game.  He was held out for precautionary reasons and could be available this week.  I can tell you that he was walking around the court last week with no apparent issues.  I suspect he will play.  His issue sounds like it was several weeks in the past.

Archived