Parker Stewart (Transfer) Commits to Indiana

gnet550

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's one thing to add a player midseason that has been with you all summer and Fall and everyone involved (mainly the other players) knew the situation, but I can't imagine a player joining the team midseason that just showed up and that going very well. 

I can't see that the current players taking too kindly to it and I can't see the player coming in being able to get up to speed and make much of an impact, if any, this season. 

I actually had this happen when I played college basketball. I was at the D2 level and we had a kid transfer in over the holiday break from LaSalle. So that's a kid going from D1 down to D2, so you'd expect he could compete from day 1. Everyone on the team handled it well from a chemistry standpoint, but the kid couldn't get up to speed having missed all of our offseason and preseason work as well as our first 10 or so games, and we weren't even that good.

He hardly played at all the rest of that season. 

Yes. I would look for only spot minutes this year. Maybe to put some extra shooting on the court. It’s my biggest reason why I don’t know how short sighted or long term his goals are. At Memphis I think he would get more minutes immediately because Penny would throw him out there and at least have him stand in the corner and shoot 3s. We could do that but Archie wouldn’t sacrifice his defense and I’m not sure he would help the offense too much. Maybe he is familiar already with the sets we run. For sure if a team goes into a zone or we need a spark offensively we could run some pick n roll action with Trayce at least.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The chemistry part is one I'd worry about...

I think with Justin Smith and Devonte Green gone, TJD feels like, even though he wasn't named a captain, he's the best player on this team and he'll voice his opinion. We saw a bit of that after the FSU game.

Parker-Stewart is obviously an older kid (22) that is use to a lead role. That can lead to conflict. Not saying it would, but the potential is there...

Yep. The thing is...every team he goes to would have the same dynamics and issues. At IU the team seems strong enough together...to take him in and accept him if he wants to work hard and help and isn’t selfish. 

Archived