TDH Article on What We Learned from Maui

IUFLA

Link

Excellent perspective on offense, defense, and individual play. Anyone wanting to get a feel on how this team is improving from previous years needs to take a look...Nothing staggering, but it does show the incremental improvements on defense and limiting turnovers that are going to be big for us in B10 play...Thanks TDH!

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Link

Excellent perspective on offense, defense, and individual play. Anyone wanting to get a feel on how this team is improving from previous years needs to take a look...Nothing staggering, but it does show the incremental improvements on defense and limiting turnovers that are going to be big for us in B10 play...Thanks TDH!

Thank you for sharing!

34 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

What I learned from Maui is our team is not there YET. 

I'm still not sure what I've learned about this team. I said all off-season that the key for this team was going to be the development of Race, Phinisee, Franklin and Hunter. 

Those are the guys that need to be healthy and need to make a leap, and more than one needs to make a leap.

I feel like they're all better to varying degrees, but I'm not sure yet if it's enough to actually matter in the Big Ten standings. 

I think Race is there, but if two of the other three can also make a leap then I think IU is a surprise team this season. If not, then IU is probably right where the prognosticators said. 

I'm sure others have discussed in other threads but noticed Archie getting on TJD during Texas game. He was looking to draw contact and possibly score vs score and if you get fouled so be it.....but make sure of the 2 points. He seemed much more aggressive in Stanford game in that regard. Going to keep my eye on that as we move forward. So many players across the country try to draw contact and get the and 1.....vs just dunking the damn ball and securing 2 points.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'm sure others have discussed in other threads but noticed Archie getting on TJD during Texas game. He was looking to draw contact and possibly score vs score and if you get fouled so be it.....but make sure of the 2 points. He seemed much more aggressive in Stanford game in that regard. Going to keep my eye on that as we move forward. So many players across the country try to draw contact and get the and 1.....vs just dunking the damn ball and securing 2 points.

I am getting tired of watching guys going weak to the basket.  It seems like a lot of kids are trying a floater in the lane instead of going strong. What happened to coming to a jump stop and going up for a jump shot instead of a weak floater.

On 12/5/2020 at 1:40 PM, BGleas said:

I'm still not sure what I've learned about this team. I said all off-season that the key for this team was going to be the development of Race, Phinisee, Franklin and Hunter. 

Those are the guys that need to be healthy and need to make a leap, and more than one needs to make a leap.

I feel like they're all better to varying degrees, but I'm not sure yet if it's enough to actually matter in the Big Ten standings. 

I think Race is there, but if two of the other three can also make a leap then I think IU is a surprise team this season. If not, then IU is probably right where the prognosticators said. 

Phinisee & Hunter have been the biggest disappointment to the start of the season and we all counted on both to be major players!  If this doesn't change soon, all our expectations should be rewritten and our expectations should change to 8th or worse in the conference.  Just can't explain these two starts so far and to me its all about the HEART, not the talent!  ITS INEXCUSABLE and maddening at the same time that if I was CAM, I would bench both players until they realize we need them to be the leaders of this team.  If they don't respond, you know what you got and time to lessen minutes.  

Many here love this Frosh class but I just don't see the production from any that will help this yr.  2-3 yrs, this class will hopefully have turned the corner and be the class that propelled CAM career when all said and done.

I haven't even touched on the lack of shooting but that will be our Achilles heel all season which is maddening CAM hasn't even sniffed the grad transfer route.  

32 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Phinisee & Hunter have been the biggest disappointment to the start of the season and we all counted on both to be major players!  If this doesn't change soon, all our expectations should be rewritten and our expectations should change to 8th or worse in the conference.  Just can't explain these two starts so far and to me its all about the HEART, not the talent!  ITS INEXCUSABLE and maddening at the same time that if I was CAM, I would bench both players until they realize we need them to be the leaders of this team.  If they don't respond, you know what you got and time to lessen minutes.  

Many here love this Frosh class but I just don't see the production from any that will help this yr.  2-3 yrs, this class will hopefully have turned the corner and be the class that propelled CAM career when all said and done.

I haven't even touched on the lack of shooting but that will be our Achilles heel all season which is maddening CAM hasn't even sniffed the grad transfer route.  

RP helped us in the second half of the Stanford game by hitting 2 big 3's when they cut the lead to 4

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

RP helped us in the second half of the Stanford game by hitting 2 big 3's when they cut the lead to 4

So in the second half RP was able to score 6pts on two shots but let me remind you he finished the game with 6pts on two shots made!  RP was supposed to be a difference maker in yr 3 of being a Hoosier but more important he was supposed to show leadership along with being the face of this program.  Dont get me wrong, I love the fact that RP chose IU but its time he showcases his talents and I'm afraid his concussion issues has him playing timid!  For some, life is greater than the game itself and I get that but is unfortunate for us.  I pray RP suddenly gets the eye of the tiger feeling inside but just don't see it.  

I think the big difference in the the 3 games (Providence, Texas, Stanford) is we were afraid of Texas.  We were scared to go to the bucket strong.  We were scared of their smothering defense and length and we we scared to take shots.  That completely changed when we played Stanford.  TJD and Race went strong at them on the block and attacked them instead of trying to draw fouls as mentioned.  You could see it in TJD's face, he was mentally done against Texas from the tip. 

They learned from that beatdown and won't be as intimidated the next time they play a big physical team.  But they are going to have to be better and more aggressive in those situations.  Otherwise we will get owned.

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Ummm....let's look at stats thus far this season on RP.

8 ppg

Almost a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio

52.4% shooting percentage

75% free throw percentage

66.7% 3 pt %

What are you wanting from the kid other than to maybe shoot more?

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ummm....let's look at stats thus far this season on RP.

8 ppg

Almost a 2-1 assist to turnover ratio

52.4% shooting percentage

75% free throw percentage

66.7% 3 pt %

What are you wanting from the kid other than to maybe shoot more?

Thank you.  Be more aggressive but I don't get all the negativity.  

13 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Dude, you are WAAAAAAAAAY off here.  I'm very thankful you are not CAM.

7 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Pretty sure I was spot on tonight unless 9pts is what we can expect.  If that is the ceiling for these two players then yes I am waaaaaaaay off and I apologize.  I just see so much more potential 

Why don't you relax and let the season play out?  Yeah...I think you're way off...not near enough of a sample size to make the calls you've made.  I'll wait until the season is over though.  Not sure why you feel the need to call them busts at this point in the season.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Why don't you relax and let the season play out?  Yeah...I think you're way off...not near enough of a sample size to make the calls you've made.  I'll wait until the season is over though.  Not sure why you feel the need to call them busts at this point in the season.

So true and thank you for setting me straight.  I have a tendency of believing what I see cannot be changed but we shall see.

8 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

So true and thank you for setting me straight.  I have a tendency of believing what I see cannot be changed but we shall see.

It's just really early to be so pessimistic.  I think one or both will surprise you positively before the season is over.  Rob is barely halfway through his college career. Hunter is barely a fourth through his.  I'm not ready to write em off just yet.

30 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Pretty sure I was spot on tonight unless 9pts is what we can expect.  If that is the ceiling for these two players then yes I am waaaaaaaay off and I apologize.  I just see so much more potential 

What are you expecting stat wise for RP because I expected like 10 and 5 for him

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Wish more fans would look at sports this way instead of all the knee jerk reaction during a game.

3 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

To be honest, the best player on the court not named TJD.  Not so much points per game but a leader of this team and someone who will make both ft's to seal the game.  Not asking for much 

So good players have never missed a big free throw.  Have no idea why you thought he would be the second best player on the court.

Archived