Butler Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It's interesting to me that back in the 2 years Butler made national headlines 2010 and 2011, the majority of their kids were from Indiana, or nearby states...This year's roster is all over the place, with only 2 Indiana kids, neither who saw significant time in the opener...

Is that a recruiting strategy change on Butler's part, or just an residual of recruiting opportunities?

Recruiting opportunities that come from their move to the Big East. Same with Creighton etc etc. The step up in conference will sustain them for a long time because now they don’t have to live on the IU/Purdue scraps. 

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Recruiting opportunities that come from their move to the Big East. Same with Creighton etc etc. The step up in conference will sustain them for a long time because now they don’t have to live on the IU/Purdue scraps. 

Whoa, some of those "scraps" were pretty damn tasty.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep Tark started that in the mid 70s right? I’d say Gonzaga is the latest team to make the jump.

i agree with this.  Gonzaga, and WSU to an extent were the latest and last mid-majors who really played on the nation stage for quite a while.  I am sure i am missing a couple but those are the 2 that stand out.  I do think though that Gonzaga get alot of wins in an easy conference.  Not sure how they would fare playing in th4e B1G or ACC or even the SEC on a nightly basis.  Maybe the same results but probably not quite as dominate.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

i agree with this.  Gonzaga, and WSU to an extent were the latest and last mid-majors who really played on the nation stage for quite a while.  I am sure i am missing a couple but those are the 2 that stand out.  I do think though that Gonzaga get alot of wins in an easy conference.  Not sure how they would fare playing in th4e B1G or ACC or even the SEC on a nightly basis.  Maybe the same results but probably not quite as dominate.

My point(or lack of) is/was the Butler and Xavier are really nothing new to the college basketball world.  One could put Louisville in that category.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Marquette never joined a conference until the late 80's(?).  Must have been a Catholic school thing?

Quite a different landscape back then was it not? Many schools only getting 1 team into the NCAA tournament etc? Kinda like ND in football/basketball it’s an easier path....not until tv money came along did it really change college sports for good.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Quite a different landscape back then was it not? Many schools only getting 1 team into the NCAA tournament etc? Kinda like ND in football/basketball it’s an easier path....not until tv money came along did it really change college sports for good.

Completely different is an understatement....

Archived