Article on staying patient on coaches, Shaka, followed by CAM

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, rico said:

What is his career record?

Haven't looked but records in the G-league or whatever it was called when he coached doesn't matter.  He said his job is get players ready for the next level or over seas.  I know you were joking since he has coached in college but I think he can do the job.

29 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Yeah.  I knew it would be hard to say where a top 10-15 2021 kid would fit in with 2020, and obviously it has been rough so far.  I would just say that it is rare to be top 10-15 in your class and not eventually at least be pretty solid.  I think we hold our breath that next year he will be doing what you'd hope a top 10-15 freshman should do.  This is still me being optimistic.  It feels weird.  

I agree. A top 10-15 player, or even a top 30 player, will usually become a very good college player even if they don't make a huge impact their freshman season.

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

True, but he did it with an all-time great player and two other NBA guys in his roster. 

I'm pretty sure none of Archie's guys were NBA players on his Dayton team. Not sure about Matta's roster at Xavier. 

Matta had elite talent at X....David West.

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Good one. West was an NBA all-star. Archie had nobody like that at Dayton.  

Xavier has been a very good program since the 80's with Pete Gillian.  I saw them twice in the NCAA tournament at the RCA Dome in 90where they beat Georgetown in the second round.  Also was there when we beat them in the second round of the 93 tournament.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So Race Thompson and Armaan Franklin aren't better than they were when they walked through the door?

They are both better, appreciably better?  I think you have a better argument with Franklin's development than Race.  Race got here (redshirt) when Archie started so this is his 4th year in the program.  You feel you are getting the level of development there that we need to compete at the Top of the BIG?  I think that is iffy. 

Now how about Phinisee, Smith, Green, Durham, Davis, Anderson?  

If Alford were legitimately the best candidate, he wouldn’t be at Nevada right now, at his age.  He’s in his mid-50’s and isn’t a 35 year old on his way up in the MAC.  He’s coached twice at big programs and both times they had enough of him.  If you take the provincial attitude out of it, he wouldn’t make the list.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Before Ole Roy finally cracked the code, he was talked about as maybe the number one guy squandering talent.  Now that he has championships he's given a pass.  Same with a guy like Boheim.  

He went to the tourney 14 straight times at Kansas. Underachievement is relative 

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They use to say the same thing about Dean Smith until he won his first championship.  He usually had more talent than anyone but couldn't win the championship.

And he was a Fred Brown and a Chris Webber away from taking the donut...

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Maybe. But the argument we NEED top 50 players seems untrue. Does Wisconsin have a single top 50 player?  

You only NEED top 50 players if you can’t coach

Although some on the board disagree with Knights tactics he is pretty much unanimously considered one of the greatest college coaches of all time. He took IU to 4 final fours winning, of course, 3.

’76 team members Benson, May and Buckner were among the most highly recruited players in the country (ie top 50).

’81 team - 3/5 of the starters were burger boys and IT is considered one of the greatest PG’s of all time.

’87 team - Knights greatest coaching championship, in my opinion, with just one Burger Boy (Daryl Thomas), Alford (I know he was Mr Basketball but have no idea if he was highly ranked coming out of HS) and of course 2 transfers that helped get us over the top.

’93 team had 4 or so burger boys. 

In decades of coaching one of the greatest coaches of all-time made it to the final four only once, in ‘87, without multiple top 50 guys.  Knight did not  have the absolute best talent, as an example Dean Smith had absolutely loaded teams and should have won 3 or 4 times with his talent, but Knight did not tend to win big with 3 donkeys and 2 diamonds in the rough. 

We don’t need to go Calapari OAD’s to win but the odds are really stacked against us getting another banner without some top 50 talent.

1 minute ago, IU878176 said:

Although some on the board disagree with Knights tactics he is pretty much unanimously considered one of the greatest college coaches of all time. He took IU to 4 final fours winning, of course, 3.

’76 team members Benson, May and Buckner were among the most highly recruited players in the country (ie top 50).

’81 team - 3/5 of the starters were burger boys and IT is considered one of the greatest PG’s of all time.

’87 team - Knights greatest coaching championship, in my opinion, with just one Burger Boy (Daryl Thomas), Alford (I know he was Mr Basketball but have no idea if he was highly ranked coming out of HS) and of course 2 transfers that helped get us over the top.

’93 team had 4 or so burger boys. 

In decades of coaching one of the greatest coaches of all-time made it to the final four only once, in ‘87, without multiple top 50 guys.  Knight did not  have the absolute best talent, as an example Dean Smith had absolutely loaded teams and should have won 3 or 4 times with his talent, but Knight did not tend to win big with 3 donkeys and 2 diamonds in the rough. 

We don’t need to go Calapari OAD’s to win but the odds are really stacked against us getting another banner without some top 50 talent.

You forgot 73...

Archived