Potential replacement coaches

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't really see the evidence of that last point with Bennett. He runs the same stuff he always has and that his dad ran. 

I know you said earlier in the thread he plays slow because he has to, but he had three NBA players on his title team and still was the slowest team in the country. He plays slow because he plays slow, and often his teams are aimlessly running clock rather than hunting shots. I think you can see it come back to bite them if you watch their games. 

Again, I'll be happy if we get him, mostly because I think he has the highest floor and when you have a high floor the odds are you'll get lucky at some point like he has done, but I don't think he has the highest ceiling. 

Don't disagree with the highest ceiling. No clue where to find it though (other than Stevens). 🤷‍♂️

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Don't disagree with the highest ceiling. No clue where to find it though (other than Stevens). 🤷‍♂️

Totally fair. And given how high the floor is for TB, you take him in a heartbeat over other guys. If he coaches another year, he's going to win at least one more title.

1 hour ago, hoosier8760 said:

The fact that there are people on here who legitimately say they wouldn't take Bennett is HILARIOUS

What you get with Bennett. 75% winning percentage. Consistently challenges for conference titles in one of the upper tier basketball conferences. Never a whiff of cheating. Players graduate. Class act who is a good representative of the University. Demonstrated ability to win a national title, but has a well-earned reputation for under-performing in the tournament.

Styles aside, he's a slightly younger (51) version of Jay Wright (59).

One thing I'd note about early exits from the tourney. If your team is consistently in the tourney and a high seed, you will often under-perform your seeding. Bill Self certainly has. Jay Wright was known for early tourney exits (in his first 10 NCAAT appearances, before winning a title, he lost in the round of 64 or 32 six times). Mark Few definitely. Izzo and Boeheim, on the other hand, often outperform.

31 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

There's also a reason why the B1G has sucked consistently in the tournament for 2 decades.  A lot of the conference plays Bennett-lite.  I don't see that style being set up well for March.  Especially as the game continues to evolve into a perimeter based, up tempo style.  I just don't think it is set up well for future tournament success.  It is way too susceptible to a team getting hot from 3 for my liking.

7 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I’d say I’d feel a similar way but lean more towards excitement. I know he’s old but that isn’t stopping Boeheim, Coach K, Pitino, Hamilton, Kruger, Williams, Izzo, Sampson, Huggins, etc

A Beilein hire would to me be like the Romeo effect- it brings spotlight to IU and makes it easier for other guys to take notice and follow. 

I think getting a good 5-6 years outta Coach B will put the program back in a place where we legitimately feel that conference titles and national championships can be achieved.

Timing is everything with coaching hires and unless Dolson wants to throw Stevens money around to Few/Wright/Beard/Muss, I don’t see us having much leverage to pitch to them. 

We all want a proven coach and not an experiment. I know it’s not the ideal hire when it comes to longevity but I think he realistically meets that criteria  more than anyone we are after. 

In terms of style is it fair to say that UM is the red-headed step child of the B1G?
....and coincidentally they've had the best and most recent tournament success of the teams in our conference. 
And who has coached these teams?
And who said he was looking to hire a coach with an "attractive style of play" that "recruits could see themselves playing in?"

.....Just too much adds up for me to move my chips off of Beilein. I know nothing, but I just have a gut feeling. 

54 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Winning a title, yes. Making deep runs in the tournament, no. 

Bennett plays a style that is more prone to getting upset, IMO. 

Much of the criticism of Bennett's tournament performance has been unfair and overlooks adverse circumstances.  It may be true that his style does not lend itself to tournament success, but IMO there are not enough good data points yet to prove it.  Most of his tournament losses can be explained by a combination of bad luck and/or key injury/illness.  He has only had two seasons at Virginia where he did not have a key injury or illness in the tournament, and in those two seasons he went to an Elite Eight and won a Championship.  He also won both of his first round games and went to a Sweet Sixteen in his two tournament appearances at Washington State.  Even the very best coaches can look bad in the tournament in a small sample size.  Coach K lost to a 14-seed and a 15-seed in the span of 3 years, but no one would claim that was because his coaching style is more prone to getting upset.  If Bennett's coaching style was more prone to being upset, then he wouldn't have 5 ACC titles in the last 8 years.  Regular season success is a larger sample size and more accurate predictor of long-term postseason success, and no one has had more consistent regular season success in a P5 conference over the past decade.  I bet that in 20 years Bennett's tournament success will make the early exits look more like aberrations than the rule.

1 hour ago, Crimson324 said:

Crean lost half the fan base when he had a No 1 seed team get embarrassed in the S16 to a hall of fame coach. What do you think would happen if Bennet got bounced in the opening round to a No 16 seed? 

My strategy on that would be to refuse the #1 seed.  Hope for something in the 6-11 seed range.  :coffee:

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Some people are worried about how it took Beilein a few years to get UM up and running.  I would say since he knows the big ten now it might not take that ling if he is hired here.  If he could bring in his old assistant that helped him turned UM  defense aoround it would be great.  Also bring Lewis as the lead assistant designed to be the next coach.

With our current roster, I don't think Jesus could coach us to a top 4 finish in the B1G next year.

Bennetts O sucks.  I would rather lose 82-80 than watch a season full of grind it out wins, played in the 50's and 60's.  I liked Archie, but realistically who had fun watching our team play?  Muss,  Beilein, Oats, anyone who plays with a pulse on the offensive side of the ball will get my support. I want a guard oriented coach who can win in the big dance. Its obvious the BIG Ten style of play is dead

Just now, 5fouls said:

With our current roster, I don't think Jesus could coach us to a top 4 finish on the B1G next year.

Didn't say next year but I don't think it would take 4 or 5 years for Beilein to get us back to the tp of the league.  Going into this season I picked us to finish 5th and don't think our roster is terrible especially if TJD comes back.

1 minute ago, hoosier_exotics said:

Bennetts O sucks.  I would rather lose 82-80 than watch a season full of grind it out wins, played in the 50's and 60's.  I liked Archie, but realistically who had fun watching our team play?  Muss,  Beilein, Oats, anyone who plays with a pulse on the offensive side of the ball will get my support. I want a guard oriented coach who can win in the big dance. Its obvious the BIG Ten style of play is dead

It wasn't fun because we didn't hit shots and lost and had nothing to do with the style of play.

Just now, hoosier_exotics said:

You must've loved Tom Crean.

32 minutes ago, HOOsier Thunder said:

Much of the criticism of Bennett's tournament performance has been unfair and overlooks adverse circumstances.  It may be true that his style does not lend itself to tournament success, but IMO there are not enough good data points yet to prove it.  Most of his tournamentlosses can be explained by a combination of bad luck and/or key injury/illness.  He has only had two seasons at Virginia where he did not have a key injury or illness in the tournament, and in those two seasons he went to an Elite Eight and won a Championship.  He also won both of his first round games and went to a Sweet Sixteen in his two tournament appearances at Washington State.  Even the very best coaches can look bad in the tournament in a small sample size.  Coach K lost to a 14-seed and a 15-seed in the span of 3 years, but no one would claim that was because his coaching style is more prone to getting upset.  If Bennett's coaching style was more prone to being upset, then he wouldn't have 5 ACC titles in the last 8 years.  Regular season success is a larger sample size and more accurate predictor of long-term postseason success, and no one has had more consistent regular season success in a P5 conference over the past decade.  I bet that in 20 years Bennett's tournament success will make the early exits look more like aberrations than the rule.

The distinction being the tournament, but a coach was just fired who faced similar circumstances, yet this board wouldn't acknowledge them.

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

The distinction being the tournament, but a coach was just fired who faced similar circumstances, yet this board wouldn't acknowledge them.

Can’t be similar if one the biggest requirement is the distinction. The other is the multiple conference titles. Had Archie won the conference title but lost in the tournament bc of injury/illness he would still be employed. Not even close to the same or similar situation. 

Archived