Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bustout said:

You really think we got duped?  The program seemed in neutral.  The lack of an offensive product was not attractive to national recruits.   Given the free agency year, former player disappointment/frustration, etc - I think Dolson realized a change needed to be made.  

Now I’m sure Stevens may have said he’d listen ... but do you really think a hand shake deal was in place and fell apart at the 11th hour?

Duped meaning several thought it was a “done deal” that’s why they only went after him.  Dolson could’ve and probably should’ve had a little better backup plan.

26 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

If I’m Matta, I’m royally ticked off at Coyle.  His allegedly failing a physical—even if it were true, which it apparently is not— is probably a medical issue covered by confidentiality.  And for good reasons. This could make Matta toxic to future employers.  Don’t be surprised if his attorney writes a letter to Coyle demanding a public retraction.  Coyle looks like a total clown. 

Good point. I was thinking: wow, that could be a gigantic HIPPA violation if it really did come from IU. Strange that IU was on that like white on rice...they reached out to Osterman and Rabby quick. 

3 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

That’s a lie.  They have talked to a ton of coaches and IU isn’t the brand it use to be.  Had all their eggs in one basket and that usually doesn’t work well, and it didnt

Indiana has itself to blame. Calipari begged to come. We wouldn't even talk to him. Pitino as well. We are looking for that magical spotless  unicorn coach.

In the end, you get what you deserve.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Exactly. I don’t think it even happened, but even if it did that's the exact reason you do a physical. 

The screw up would have been hiring him and holding off on a red tape thing like a physical for 3-4 months and then having him have a health issue in September or even worse mid-season. 

So it was a screw up, we could've hired Stevens after the NBA season in your scenario :coffee:

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Duped meaning several thought it was a “done deal” that’s why they only went after him.  Dolson could’ve and probably should’ve had a little better backup plan.

Dolson is a rookie AD who, as far as I'm aware, is conducting his first coaching search/hire. Unfortunately, it will be the most important of his career, and bigger than many AD's make in their entire career. He was groomed under an AD who was a first-time AD.

I'm sure that long-time veteran ADs are used to hearing BS, smoke, etc and have established relationships that they can trust. Learn from experience what agents are just using you for a pay increase for their client. Maybe Glass included Dolson in some of their coaching hires, but it's not in his bio.

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Do we know if Beard or Musselman were plans B and C?  Both would require big money (Muss will get a payday soon).   Then onto the next tier of guys like Woodson, Matta, Beilein, etc maybe?    This assumes no Drew too. 

9 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Out of curiosity, how can you possibly know he doesn't have a backup plan?

All we know is that your source either doesn't know the backup plan or isn't telling you. 

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

After Sampson or maybe before he did

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Wait Coach Calipari begged to come to IU?

According to Brian Evans (who was coached by Cal in New Jersey) he was interested in it both times. He recaps their conversations on a Hoosier Hysterics interview a few weeks ago. Good listen. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Out of curiosity, how can you possibly know he doesn't have a backup plan?

All we know is that your source either doesn't know the backup plan or isn't telling you. 

Well I’d rather not say honestly.  Maybe I should’ve said he doesn’t have a solid backup plan

30 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

The 10 million dollar buyout was because we got duped, by Brad Stevens.  If not for that we’d still have Archie 

That what you are hearing or is that your conjecture.  From where I am sitting, the appearance of that being what happened is pretty strong.

We thought we had a gentleman's agreement with Stevens and he screwed us at the final minute, so now we are scrambling because Plan 1-99 was Stevens predicated on what that a-- hole was telling people from Indiana.

21 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

That’s a lie.  They have talked to a ton of coaches and IU isn’t the brand it use to be.  Had all their eggs in one basket and that usually doesn’t work well, and it didnt

Every program talks to a lot of coaches.  Every program has rumors, and every program has fans choice.  I bet UCLA is happy with early results from their hire.  

Truthfully, Dolson made it clear we would not hear anything until done and not hear from him.

He is use to be a recruiter as he is the guy who solidified bigtime donations to build buildings.

We don't know what the plan is.  I hope it is someone who wants to be here, who can be innovative and has a personality.  

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

That what you are hearing or is that your conjecture.  From where I am sitting, the appearance of that being what happened is pretty strong.

We thought we had a gentleman's agreement with Stevens and he screwed us at the final minute, so now we are scrambling because Plan 1-99 was Stevens predicated on what that a-- hole was telling people from Indiana.

Your last paragraph is pretty spot on. It wasn’t all on Dolson though. Several other members thought it was over.  Obviously I wasn’t in those meetings to know who’s “fault” it was but they weren’t ready for the answer they got

Just now, Fiveoutofsix said:

Every program talks to a lot of coaches.  Every program has rumors, and every program has fans choice.  I bet UCLA is happy with early results from their hire.  

Truthfully, Dolson made it clear we would not hear anything until done and not hear from him.

He is use to be a recruiter as he is the guy who solidified bigtime donations to build buildings.

We don't know what the plan is.  I hope it is someone who wants to be here, who can be innovative and has a personality.  

I think one person in particular got a little too arrogant and it wasn’t as tight lipped as some on here seem to think. Dolson wasn’t the cocky one, it’s one of his jackass helpers

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

Well I’d rather not say honestly.  Maybe I should’ve said he doesn’t have a solid backup plan

You can't possibly know that. You can know that you don't know off a backup plan that is solid either because your source doesn't know or you haven't been told, but that's it. 

Proving a negative in terms of the existence of a solid backup plan is practically impossible, short of Dolson saying that himself and us being convinced of the veracity of that claim. 

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Honestly sometimes your backup plans end up better than your original ones

It doesn't sound like there is a plan though.  This is wildly flailing around while drowning hoping to find a branch to catch and hold onto.  Usually that means you are dead meat.

Archived