Potential replacement coaches

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

My gut tells me Beilein. Don’t need to pry him from anyone, which clearly will be our biggest obstacle. 

I think the only way we get Beard/Drew/Musselman is by offering Brad Stevens type $. Not gonna get these guys to move without a serious incentive 

I do think Beilein is Dolson’s fail safe. How many guys does he try before then though?

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

At this point I’m ready for an IU a guy now not named Alford or Woodson.  Screw it give me Fife with Lewis and guyton on the bench. Have Cheaney on staff too.  Dolson tried won’t be his fault.

i'm disappointed in this 0708.  why give it to a guy with no experience and roll the dice with those odds just because he went to IU?  and when does it ever happen that you just suddenly hire an entire staff of alum?  ever?  you need the best coach and assistant coaches you can get.  period.  not guys not ready who attended IU.  what is the big advantage?  they can say, "Well, I played for Coach Knight back in the day, and ..."  who cares?  who is the best coach we can get?  that's what i care about! 

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm disappointed in this 0708.  why give it to a guy with no experience and roll the dice with those odds just because he went to IU?  and when does it ever happen that you just suddenly hire an entire staff of alum?  ever?  you need the best coach and assistant coaches you can get.  period.  not guys not ready who attended IU.  what is the big advantage?  they can say, "Well, I played for Coach Knight back in the day, and ..."  who cares?  who is the best coach we can get?  that's what i care about! 

Several coaches haven’t had experience plus he did at IUPUFW

It will be interesting if we go for the next name on the lists we've talked about for the last month, or if there's someone more far fetched we go after.

Will we throw that money at Donovan (unlikely being his first year with Bulls), Wright, Bennett, or will we go towards Beard, Beilein, etc.?

If we keep offering $7 million per year, might as well start at the top. People further down the line will get over being offended really quickly when you double their salary. 

4 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I do think Beilein is Dolson’s fail safe. How many guys does he try before then though?

Agreed. My fear is we try and land Drew/Beard and wait it out just like Stevens and another school scoops up Beilein. Then we do the most IU thing imaginable and end up with like Alford or Fife as coach, creating another cycle of waiting 5-6 years for the chance at competing for anything worthwhile. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess the next time might not want to trust you sources or get a few before saying anything.  it is not you fault this fell through and nothing you can do about it.

No reason to shoot the messenger... we all fooled ourselves into believing what we wanted to be true.

This was a tough day.. I  guess I can watch some of the games instead of reading these boards.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess the next time might not want to trust you sources or get a few before saying anything.  it is not you fault this fell through and nothing you can do about it.

It was more than 2 sources that told me.  Trust me there are a lot of shocked people.  $3.5 million reasons changed his mind.

edit-I’ll always trust my sources, no reason for them to lie and honestly there were more than 20 people who thought he was coming inside IU.

Let’s assume our targets are Beard, Drew, and Musselman. When do we want them to lose in the tournament?  We don’t want a first round loss to have to hear, “They lost in round one.”  Obviously that doesn’t happen now. We don’t want them to win it all, because that makes it harder to leave. So sweet 16?  

8 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I still can’t believe we are looking for someone else.  

The fact that what you had lined up or was similar with Chris, ISP, and even that OSU guy really does make me believe that most of the info was good the Celtics just opened up the checkbook. If you don't mind us asking some more questions, do you know if this was the first counter offer that Boston gave or if they basically agreed to part-ways but changed course?

12 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

It was more than 2 sources that told me.  Trust me there are a lot of shocked people.  $3.5 million reasons changed his mind.

edit-I’ll always trust my sources, no reason for them to lie and honestly there were more than 20 people who thought he was coming inside IU.

Safe to say Dolson won’t ask for additional boosters to join in to win this bidding war?

49 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

My gut tells me Beilein. Don’t need to pry him from anyone, which clearly will be our biggest obstacle. 

I think the only way we get Beard/Drew/Musselman is by offering Brad Stevens type $. Not gonna get these guys to move without a serious incentive 

I think you can get Musselman for less money than Beard or Drew.  If I'm AD, he becomes my top target at this point.  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think you can get Musselman for less money than Beard or Drew.  If I'm AD, he becomes my top target at this point.  

Agreed, just saying without a big pay increase for any of these guys, there’s no real leverage we have over their current job situation. 

This is why from the start I always felt Beilein would end up here. No bidding war with a current team/ and he’s apparently very interested in the gig. 

Like I said earlier, if we land any of Musselman/Beard/Drew/Beilein/Matta I’ll walk away from this feeling the program is going in a better direction than had we kept Archie. 

58 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Hopefully we end up with Dolson's second choice. If we end up with Beilein, I hope it's because he whiffed on another 4-5 candidates and not because Beilein was choice #2.

5 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Hopefully we end up with Dolson's second choice. If we end up with Beilein, I hope it's because he whiffed on another 4-5 candidates and not because Beilein was choice #2.

Not my first choice, but I’d be pretty happy with Beilein. He can get the program back to respectability, and then when he retires you can bring in a younger, long term future guy who would be walking into a much more stable situation. 

Archived