Youngstown St postgame thoughts and MVP

Reacher

Trivia question.

What do Morgan, Newkirk, Johnson, Smith, McSwain, and McRoberts have in common?

Answer:  They out-rebounded De'Ron Davis tonight.

Not bashing the young man, but IU has no chance in conference play if they continue get these kind of performances from De'Ron.

MVP goes to McBob. He is the fire under this teams @$$. 

Morgan, McBob, Green, Hartman, ROJO > Davis, Morgan, ROJO, Newkirk, Durham

I can see where CAM would want some consistancy, but I think we seriously need to mix up our starters a little bit. We don't have the guns to come out flat in B1G play. 

16 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I can see where CAM would want some consistancy, but I think we seriously need to mix up our starters a little bit. We don't have the guns to come out flat in B1G play. 

I'd still give Davis the nod over Green. Do think its time to ch ange our starters up though

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I'd still give Davis the nod over Green. Do think its time to ch ange our starters up though

I think Davis needs to have sombody poking him, getting in his hear, pissing him off before the game starts. With his lack of a perimiter game we need him to be a big green monster on the block. If plays closer to Stay-puft than Hulk than I think we might be better going small (Hartman, Morgan) or young-er (Smith, Moore).

2 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

I think Davis needs to have sombody poking him, getting in his hear, pissing him off before the game starts. With his lack of a perimiter game we need him to be a big green monster on the block. If plays closer to Stay-puft than Hulk than I think we might be better going small (Hartman, Morgan) or young-er (Smith, Moore).

I think Archie has missed a huge opportunity to get Moore some more substantial minutes.  His development is enormously important for the program over the next 2-3 years.  He has received meaningful playing time in exactly one game this year (I don't remember which one) and I thought he did a decent job in that game.

McBob had 5 offensive rebounds and led all with 8. Added steals and points. He's a solid player, really like the energy he brings and some real solid play.

Raise your hand if you thought Morgan would be our leading scorer at the beginning of the season. He's turned into a heck of a player.

TO's were not good, but 1 player had 5 of them.... 

That was a bad team we played, no doubt, but the positive takeways for me start with McBob, and Morgan's continuing play.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Mcoberts deserves a whole lot of kudos for his play, but the fact that he is our second best player right now is not necessarily a good thing. 

I wish McBob consistantly outplaying so many with his heart and hustle would light a fire under their collective butts.

36 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He's not our second best player, by any stretch, but he is playing sound basketball, another Hartman type. 

McBob is not our best shooter, he's not our best ball handler, he's not our most athletic player.....but the only other person on our team that might be a better basketball player is Morgan. It's the same thing I thought was wrong with some of Crean's teams; he brought in athletes and banked on being able to teach them how to play basketball and would get beat (see Ft.Wayne and ISU) by teams full of upperclassmen that knew how to play the game. 

McBob knows how to play the game and is pretty good at it and it shows on a team full of guys that while not Tijan, are still kind of projects. 

A win is a win is a win. Boy though, 10-4 would feel a lot better right now than 8-6.

Looking forward to the next week, I will be content going 1-1. Wisconsin is beatable this year, although the Kohl’s center is never kind to us. Minnesota doesn’t really scare me either. 2 wins this next week would be huge, especially going into a couple of “easier” home games. I’m sure people will think I’m crazy, but if we play the way we have shown we are capable of, I think it’s doable.

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

Newkirk goes for 10-5 with one TO while Green goes 3-1 (shooting 1-7) with two TOs and you want Green starting over Newkirk because? 

6 hours ago, madmax said:

A win is a win is a win. Boy though, 10-4 would feel a lot better right now than 8-6.

Looking forward to the next week, I will be content going 1-1. Wisconsin is beatable this year, although the Kohl’s center is never kind to us. Minnesota doesn’t really scare me either. 2 wins this next week would be huge, especially going into a couple of “easier” home games. I’m sure people will think I’m crazy, but if we play the way we have shown we are capable of, I think it’s doable.

I agree completely. ISU were very bad outliers but they've really impacted people's perception of this team. I'm having with the team I've seen for the other 12 games. 

I tend to avoid bring attention to idiotic comments made by media to drive their own hits but in this case I have to say this. For those on twitter Kent Sterling made the comment during first half that Archie needs to get control of his program and implied he should kick guys off the team. I know there's some others that are close but I don't remember as idiotic of a comment. Note to journalism students especially IU journalism students. Don't be that journalist. Don't focus on clicks, hits, followers,etc....

Anyway in terms of game. I think it kind of played out after being gone for a week. I'll echo what someone else posted. Has there been a reason for Moore not playing much? I know Coach plays players based on practice so maybe there's something we aren't seeing?\

Really would like to sneak into Wiscy on Tuesday and get one. They are hurt, injured, younger than us...double up Happ and make the no names beat you.

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I tend to avoid bring attention to idiotic comments made by media to drive their own hits but in this case I have to say this. For those on twitter Kent Sterling made the comment during first half that Archie needs to get control of his program and implied he should kick guys off the team. I know there's some others that are close but I don't remember as idiotic of a comment. Note to journalism students especially IU journalism students. Don't be that journalist. Don't focus on clicks, hits, followers,etc....

What in the world had any done to deserve being kicked off of the team? 

Did anyone see Archie mention De'Ron in the post game presser? I think this is smart - if I were De'Ron this would really motivate me. Plus, this is a sign of how important and good De'Ron can be -- Archie just doesn't mention any player and what they need to do to improve (goodness he would be there all night if he did). 

26 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Is it just me or is anyone else disappointed with Hartman this year? Really thought he'd bring more

This is kind of what I expected. Hartman is a step or two slow after his surgeries. It kind of reminds me of an older guy playing in a young league. He can provide some hustle plays and the occasional three - I think he's averaging about 5 or 6 points a game? - sounds about right. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Did anyone see Archie mention De'Ron in the post game presser? I think this is smart - if I were De'Ron this would really motivate me. Plus, this is a sign of how important and good De'Ron can be -- Archie just doesn't mention any player and what they need to do to improve (goodness he would be there all night if he did). 

Little added juice before Tuesday with Happ. Smart move for Coach. 

11 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Newkirk goes for 10-5 with one TO while Green goes 3-1 (shooting 1-7) with two TOs and you want Green starting over Newkirk because? 

I agree that Green didn't have a good game, but more often than not this year, those stat lines have been reversed (from what I remember watching the games, havent looked anything up).  Better things happen for the team when Green is on the floor. He better than anyone on the team makes an effort to get the ball to our best player down low. 

Archived