Thank you, Aljami

KoB2011

12 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So I can't find it in writing anywhere and I'm starting to question where that info started.  I believe there is a poster that is friends with a small D1 school basketball coach down south???  @IU Scott has repeated this stance before, can you help us out?  I can't find it officially stated that seniors have to stay with their current team to use the extra year of eligibility.  I did find this, "Of course, not all schools are allowing seniors to return. One caveat to the NCAA’s ruling on an extra year of eligibility is that individual schools and conferences have the authority to adopt this rule or not. This means that some schools may allow seniors to return for an extra year of eligibility, while others may choose not to offer this due to program budgets, housing availability, etc"  https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

One other thing to look at, are any football players that have used 4 years of eligibility transferring and playing a 5th somewhere else?  @Leathernecks @btownqb Can't say that I have heard of that happening.  

I didn't find anything definitive either. This article says, "Schools self-apply this waiver for eligibility relief, meaning they get to choose whether athletes are allowed the extra season. Some athletic departments will not be able to afford the cost of doing so, particularly given the revenue deficits caused by the pandemic."

Knowing that schools will self-apply for the athletes could be interpreted to mean that you only get the extra year at the school where you were in 2020-21 since they would have to apply for you to get it and if you're somewhere else they wouldn't/couldn't do so? Not definitive by any means.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm wondering if this is something where the schools have to take an all or nothing approach? Obviously the player wouldn't be forced to take it if they offer it, but I'm not sure a school can pick and choose who they give the waiver to. Am I the only one reading it that way? 

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I didn't find anything definitive either. This article says, "Schools self-apply this waiver for eligibility relief, meaning they get to choose whether athletes are allowed the extra season. Some athletic departments will not be able to afford the cost of doing so, particularly given the revenue deficits caused by the pandemic."

Knowing that schools will self-apply for the athletes could be interpreted to mean that you only get the extra year at the school where you were in 2020-21 since they would have to apply for you to get it and if you're somewhere else they wouldn't/couldn't do so? Not definitive by any means.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/10/14/ncaa-winter-sports-extra-eligibility/

So, if I am interpreting this correctly, the grad transfer rule is off the books this year?

Just now, Steubenhoosier said:

So, if I am interpreting this correctly, the grad transfer rule is off the books this year?

Your guess is as good, if not better than mine. Article is from Oct of 2020, so a bit outdated. Was just looking for info on the extra year of eligibility/same team or not question.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

What I gather is the only ones who can't transfer are guys that have used all 4 years of their eligibility.  If you red shirted and have only played 3 years then you can be a grad transfer

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

So I can't find it in writing anywhere and I'm starting to question where that info started.  I believe there is a poster that is friends with a small D1 school basketball coach down south???  @IU Scott has repeated this stance before, can you help us out?  I can't find it officially stated that seniors have to stay with their current team to use the extra year of eligibility.  I did find this, "Of course, not all schools are allowing seniors to return. One caveat to the NCAA’s ruling on an extra year of eligibility is that individual schools and conferences have the authority to adopt this rule or not. This means that some schools may allow seniors to return for an extra year of eligibility, while others may choose not to offer this due to program budgets, housing availability, etc"  https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-eligibility-coronavirus

One other thing to look at, are any football players that have used 4 years of eligibility transferring and playing a 5th somewhere else?  @Leathernecks @btownqb Can't say that I have heard of that happening.  

We picked up Ryder Anderson who played 4 years at Ole Miss.  He played enough each year that he wouldn't have been able to redshirt any of the 4 seasons.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What I gather is the only ones who can't transfer are guys that have used all 4 years of their eligibility.  If you red shirted and have only played 3 years then you can be a grad transfer

Then, saying this year doesn't count is inaccurate when it comes to this scenario? In my opinion, it either needs to count across the board, or not. Can't have different rules for different situations.

Then, saying this year doesn't count is inaccurate when it comes to this scenario? In my opinion, it either needs to count across the board, or not. Can't have different rules for different situations.

Just saying Al played all 4 years here at IU so if he wants the free year it has to be at IU.  Race had been here for 4 years but only played 3 years so he could still have 2 years of eligibility remaining with the free year.  So Race can transfer out since he hasn't used all of his eligibility

So by this example, seniors can transfer to another school?

Yes.  I haven't read the exact rules to know if there are exceptions, but I don't really know why there would be exceptions.  This year with open transfers, being a normal transfer or a grad transfer is just semantics.  If your school doesn't have the money or space to bring you back, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to go to a school that does.

11 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

We picked up Ryder Anderson who played 4 years at Ole Miss.  He played enough each year that he wouldn't have been able to redshirt any of the 4 seasons.

What is college football's original rule about playing 3-4 games without it using a year of eligibility?  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying Al played all 4 years here at IU so if he wants the free year it has to be at IU.  Race had been here for 4 years but only played 3 years so he could still have 2 years of eligibility remaining with the free year.  So Race can transfer out since he hasn't used all of his eligibility

Al has played four years, so his extra year is the "free" year. The freshman this year have how many years left to play?

1 minute ago, Leathernecks said:

You can play up to 4 games and count it as a redshirt year.  The fewest Anderson played in any season was 5.

Well there we got.  That is concrete evidence a senior that played 4 years somewhere else can go play one more year.  

@IU Scott, I can't remember the poster that has a friend that is small d1 assistant down south, but I believe that is where we got the idea that a senior that has played 4 years can't transfer.  I googled and read all kinds of NCAA articles and documents, including a FAQ 6 page pdf about covid transfer rules this morning and could find nothing.  

So, if this "free" year doesn't count towards their eligibility, why would it count against a senior's?

That's what I am trying to get to the bottom of. Where did you read this?

I read and listened to Goodman talk about it.  He didn't mention anything about seniors not being included.  

The big question is, can they transfer.  And according to our football transfer from Ole Miss, apparently yes.  

2 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Well there we got.  That is concrete evidence a senior that played 4 years somewhere else can go play one more year.  

@IU Scott, I can't remember the poster that has a friend that is small d1 assistant down south, but I believe that is where we got the idea that a senior that has played 4 years can't transfer.  I googled and read all kinds of NCAA articles and documents, including a FAQ 6 page pdf about covid transfer rules this morning and could find nothing.  

Here's a basketball example.

Greg Parham played 4 years at VMI, and said yesterday that he is going to transfer because VMI doesn't have the grad program he wants to go into.  He played at least 29 games in all 4 seasons there.

14 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

Here's a basketball example.

Greg Parham played 4 years at VMI, and said yesterday that he is going to transfer because VMI doesn't have the grad program he wants to go into.  He played at least 29 games in all 4 seasons there.

Well dang.  IU better gets it's act together and recruit some seniors.  Get old Archie, get old, if you are here of course.  

2 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't think he played enough his freshman year to count. 

On 2/28/2021 at 2:08 AM, mrflynn03 said:

He played hard and gave his best effort for sure. Wish him the the best in his future endeavors.  If he applies himself in life the way he did for us he will be successful.  Go Al!

Thank you for writing this, KoB .... and thank you, Al....best wishes in whatever you choose to do.

Archived