Purdue game thread

Reacher

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can we stop this false narrative that if you're blaming the players for some things that you think Archie is blameless?

I don’t think that at all but do put more of the blame on Archie because, for whatever reason, this has been an issue his entire tenure.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Archie has no responsibility in screwing then up? First off I thought Leal was an avg shooter for a high level recruit. He used his size and athleticism to dominate HS competition...it’s going to take him a couple years before he is at the level where he will be that kind of player at the B1G level. Same with Galloway. Just not a knock down shooter. Lander too. But we haven’t done anything to improve their shooting. It’s actually gotten worse as the season has gone along.

This was by design. From a July 29. 2020 article:

A smile slowly crept across IU head coach Archie Miller’s face as he paused in the middle of his sentence during IU men’s basketball’s teleconference July 28. He waited for a second, looking around his home office, then back at the screen with the excited expression a young child has seeing its friends after summer break.

For Miller and IU basketball, there is plenty to look forward to regarding the upcoming season, even with the uncertainty surrounding college sports due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In Miller’s fourth year as head coach, he appears to finally have his desired team composition.

This is Miller’s first season with a team that has his fingerprints on every aspect of the roster. There is only one player on IU’s roster that is leftover from the Tom Crean era, Al Durham, who despite not being recruited by Miller fits well into his system.

“I’m more excited right now than I’ve been in a while,” Miller said. “After finally getting a taste of the players, especially the new guys, when you get the chance to work with them for a couple of days you start to see how we are going to do it.”

In the six weeks since the men’s basketball team returned to campus, Miller has seen his vision come together.

“We’re going to be more of a guard-oriented team,” Miller said. “I don’t want to say half of the game or whatever, but we’re going to play three perimeter players around Trayce and Joey like we did a year ago, or we’ll play even some smaller stuff. I think with Jordan Geronimo and Jerome being more of a perimeter-oriented guy out there around one of those guys.”

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Doesn't change the fact that guys like Durham, Phinisee, Hunter and Leal, who are D1 basketball players, need to make completely wide open shots.

Agree but they proven over the years that they don't hit them consistently.  If you are a coach who do you want to stop when playing IU

Just now, IU Scott said:

Agree but they proven over the years that they don't hit them consistently.  If you are a coach who do you want to stop when playing IU

Thats why I said its more of a recruiting issue than the design of the offense. 

11 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Someone mentioned Don Fischer.  He almost swallowed his tongue calling Leal's errand shot.  lol

Yep...that was me. I’m surprised neither one hasn’t ever slipped up or became disgusted on air yet. You know sort of like listening to the Pacers on the radio.

Archived