Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Sure am sorry about that. Was including 85-86 because of getting beat by Richmond. I know certain teams getting beat by double digit seeds in tourney not once, not twice, but 3x is all glossed over. My apologies. 

PS...my aunt, uncle, and sister were in school at the time. Getting beat by Richmond that year to them was worse vs Crean early years, all of Archie,etc...combined.

Yes, the ending was disappointing.  But the year before (which you also listed) we were in the NIT and something like 7-11 in the Big 10.  So 85-86 was actually a really good bounce back season despite the Richmond loss.  I’d compare the feeling of 85-86 to that of Woodson’s first season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I can absolutely make a case this season is worse than those, other than the early Crean seasons.

The recent seasons, as in the last Crean year and the Archie years, are all better than this currently. It’s honestly not even close.

04 is probably comparable, 05 is better and 06 was a 6 seed.

We won 19 and 21 games in 85 and 86. Finished second in the Big Ten in 86. How is this team close to that?

I am genuinely curious, what measure are you using to say this team isn’t that bad?

And knock of the implied shots at me, that crap poisons the board more than anything. 

My posts poison the board? I know we are supposed to debate the post now and not the poster so I'll say this....I'll gladly put my posts over the years over whoever posts your posts and see which side things sit on.

Edited by Seeking6
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

Yes, the ending was disappointing.  But the year before (which you also listed) we were in the NIT and something like 7-11 in the Big 10.  So 85-86 was actually a really good bounce back season despite the Richmond loss.  I’d compare the feeling of 85-86 to that of Woodson’s first season.

We didn't lose to Richmond in the 85-86 season, we lost to Cleveland State. We lost to Richmond in 87-88 season

• Like 1

i will never want us to lose, but the consolation if we only manage 2-3 more wins is it has to put his job in jeopardy right?  i am still thinking no way they fire him after this year, but if it ends that bad and next year doesn't seem to be any more promising, maybe they'll have to act after that?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My posts poison the board? I know we are supposed to debate the post now and not the poster so I'll say this....I'll gladly put my posts over the years over whoever posts your posts and see which side things sit on.

I never said all your posts poison the board, but yes, the personal attacks do regardless of if they’re stated or implied.

And I don’t really care who is more popular or better thought of, you can have that title 🤷

At some point forward momentum has stopped for CMW.  
It’s one thing when message boards & twitter are crushing him 

When Gregg Doyle gives up….maybe 

But when Fish says he is embarrassed for the first time in 50 years you have to wonder if boosters & recruits are out too 

throwing players under the bus is a bad look when you brought them in 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

At some point forward momentum has stopped for CMW.  
It’s one thing when message boards & twitter are crushing him 

When Gregg Doyle gives up….maybe 

But when Fish says he is embarrassed for the first time in 50 years you have to wonder if boosters & recruits are out too 

throwing players under the bus is a bad look when you brought them in 

yeah Fish walked that back, said he didnt mean it the way it sounded or some BS like that. Someone told him to walk it back i'm guessing.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Y'know, there's a coach out there right now with power conference experience, a couple conference titles, and took two different schools to the second weekend. Sure seems like an experience was we'd all sign up for right now, doesn't it?

Tom Crean? lol

7 hours ago, Inequality said:

Ladies and gentleman the whole point of this conversation is IU is not where it belongs in the trajectory of the program conversation.

Archie was fired because he failed. Crean was fired because it was determined he had reached his ceiling which wasn’t high enough for a traditional blue blood.

Look where we are right now with Woodson. We (IUBB) are not good. We are no where near or even approaching the level of play that Woodson was brought in here to establish.

Even though his sideline demeanor reminds me of droopy the cartoon dog, I’m sure he’s a great guy. Takes pics with folks and makes the older generations feel all special yada yada. He’s not the guy IU needs to return to its spot on the national grid. We are the worst team in the state.

7th grade JT Rink, Dr. Rinks grandson plays better ball than this entire squad. Kids gonna be special btw.

Sack up and move on or continue the 1970s reunion. Thanks Buckner.

Hello Mr.Wolf dressed up like a salesmen. Droopy, a classic.

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Y'know, there's a coach out there right now with power conference experience, a couple conference titles, and took two different schools to the second weekend. Sure seems like an experience was we'd all sign up for right now, doesn't it?

Yes, but that just isn't the IU way - we have to extend the futility at least one or two seasons too many before finally acting.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don’t remember that. I don’t think any time frame was mentioned. 

You’re right, I guess I thought woody was to get the program reset in a few years then Dane Fife was to take over. Maybe just some fans hoping! 
That didn’t workout very well! Haha

Did Woodson atleast go out and recruit after yesterday’s game? Early game..,, Should have had time to go out…. If my team got embarrassed like that and “basically” get eliminated from NCAA Tourney Contention I would be working hard for next year to make sure we don’t miss again. 

1 hour ago, Cbp4IU said:

Did Woodson atleast go out and recruit after yesterday’s game? Early game..,, Should have had time to go out…. If my team got embarrassed like that and “basically” get eliminated from NCAA Tourney Contention I would be working hard for next year to make sure we don’t miss again. 

Woodson can't get over the hump to get out and recruit.  That would be too much like work.  He is used to getting paid for doing nothing.

Is it concerning a lot of the recruits Woodson have brought in have been bust.

Good:
Reneau

JHS

Mgbako

Bad:

Banks

Bates (never developed)

Duncomb( Kept him when he didn’t have too)

Gunn

Unknown: 

Cupps

Newton

This Class:

McNeely

I know the portal is now huge roll of recruitment…. But laying down a floor with your own guys… He’s really just 50-50…. You could argue outside his highly ranked guys he’s been mehhhh… I understand most of that is developing players but you could argue outside 1 recruit-ish per a recruiting class he really hasn’t brought in guys who are ready. Now Cupps is an unknown because we know he’s not ready this year but then again we don’t know what kind of player he would be under woody. I don’t want to put Newton under any category but he’s going to comeback hopefully next year after a long layoff. I don’t see him ready for the game speed until 15 games into the season next year. At the same time you pray for a guy who won’t be derailed by injuries. I don’t want to say recruiting has dried up but it’s alarming in small sample the production from his foundation of recruits. 

13 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Yeah… to come up with that list says to me that not everyone has accepted how bad this team is.

I don’t understand what anyone is using to say this team isn’t terrible - metrics, eye test, how we have performed against good teams… none of that points to a good team. 

We are #100 in Kenpom now. None of Archie’s teams came anywhere close to being this bad. The worst season was #71. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Winning cures everything. We need wins. IU needs to somehow win like 4/5 games the rest of the year. Need to stay afloat with some of our own players and players who might be entering the portal on other teams. IU can’t afford to lose Reneau. If he stays in college IU can’t afford to lose Mgbako. Like we saw in football this year the shadiness that takes place behind the scenes. If we keep losing/go on a long losing streak the remainder of the year you know other teams will see blood in the water and find ways to contact Reneau or Mgbako. If IU loses both of them Woodson absolutely can’t be kept around. If IU loses both Reneau and Mgbako what chip does IU have that could attract players to come here. McNeely is only 1 guy and a Freshman and Galloway isn’t a “superstar” by any means but he’s a solid player but that means nothing.

34 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

We are #100 in Kenpom now. None of Archie’s teams came anywhere close to being this bad. The worst season was #71. 

There are problems with just looking at KenPom ranks YoY and averages, but while acknowledging that:

Last 3 Years of Archie: average finish was 45

Last 3 Years of Woodson: average KenPom is 59

• Like 1
  • Sad 5